IP Phone geek

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Notice the new promotion by Vonage? $9.95 / mo for 3 mo for joining the 25 buck plan?

Well, here's some insight:

- click to read a discussion

since Vonage is the simplest cheap setup for the non-tech person, what's with THAT eh?
    I dont know. I've had experience with three different installations, one by tech-savvy, one by just a normal net user, and one by a tech dummy.

In all three there were sporadic outages due to broadband faults but none cancelled the service due to them.

It's possible other schemes like Magic-Jack had some influence but I cant see that as affecting that many 'normal phone' users.

For ME... I want my phone to be as independent from the 'provider' as possible. That's why I dont think Cable Phone is that good a deal. Rahter stay with legacy switch than pay $38 long-term. And I havent switched to vonage yet, ONLY because I havent run across a GOOD deal on a 500va UPS. And THEN I'd go with the $15/500 minute plan.

I dont WANT to have to use a generic phone # either, want to transfer my own. So that leaves out a lot of options like Magic Jack and I dont want to depend on a 24/7 'server either. Though I have had one running for 5 years, straight.

so I cant really figure out the high Vonage turnover.

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

My in-laws have it. Their son talked them into it.

IT IS HORRIBLE! Calls Drop - First and last words in conversation are dropped - connections can be bad.

People ditch them because the product is not good.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hmmm... sounds like bad router config, or high error rate on cable, to me.

USED to be you hooked the router network link into the phone adapter, that let the Vonage adapter have preference.

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I have IP phones setup at the office. They are fine 95% of the time. The other 5% makes you want to scream. They are cheaper and you just learn not to send a 10Meg file on email while you are talking on the phone. This can be a problem even when you give priority to voice packets. It is not bullet-proof enough yet to be good at home I think.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have my phone service through cable and have had no troubles since I kicked AT&T's ass out of my telephone and DSL world in September '07.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don, your phone service isn't the same thing as Vonage. That's why you don't have those issues.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt. my comment was primarily in response to Pettyfog's quote below:

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

My bad, I scanned his post....rarely read them in their bombastic entirety anymore.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not to worry. Oh, by the way, we're ready to perform again, and WineStyles has a pretty good collection of beer as well. Rumor has it that Steve's daughters may make an appearance. That alone should make it worth your while to show up.

COYW!

10. gowhitesgo

gowhitesgo New Member

Hi everyone,

I have had Vonage for 2+ years and never had a single problem with it. Calls are very clear (does not sound like typical VoIP). I have it hooked up to my Verizon FIOS network which is very high speed (15M / 5M), so maybe that helps. Anyway prior to Vonage I was spending about $80 per month for local and long distance service, now the bill is about $31 each month....sweet.