Interview with Don Garber

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Oct 31, 2007.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

My question is listed on page 2 (and in fact, the question above the one with my name attached is my phrasing of that question, but attributed to the person who asked on the same subject just before I did).

I will note that I think the answers to both suck wind.

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I read that myself, and was a bit dissappointed with his answers. I am tired of this cop out of the MLS needing to follow the tried and true "American" system for sports. We even mentions how well the system of tables and relegation and promotion work in Europe and just about EVERYWHERE else, and yet he claims he does not foresee that being possible in America.

He seems more interested in expanding by another 5 or 6 teams than building quality youth systems, creating hype and excitement, or any other things that will make the MLS a force to be respected in America's sports culture.

As for your question about breaks - the Commisioner stated the season being long enough now. I say take away the playoffs and that leaves you with an extra 3 or 4 weeks to play with when it comes to regular season scheduling.