Insanities II: Walmart critics moot on GM's plight..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 28, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

While I'm on a roll... imagine a mega-corporation that did everything the 'worker advocate' wants Walmart to do.

General Motors did.

I feel like a little kid finding a really cool stick and a hornet's nest.

:twisted:

BTW, I MEAN 'moot'!... if you can torture out a response it's always "That's different!"

So prove to me it's 'different'.

2. pettyfog

The Age of Abundance: How Prosperity Transformed America's Politics and Culture

_ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sidenote: "Pleasantville" was a great movie, but crap from a realistic viewpoint. Could only have been written by someone who didnt live through the time.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What General Motors did was admirable. Why they are today the embodiment of "yesterday's corporation" is the unbelievable rise over the last 25 years in the cost of health care for their workers and retirees. Since we've left our health care system in the hands of the insurance companies and the drug companies, coverage is down, expense is up, and major companies not involved in insurance or drugs are hurting.

Return with me now, to those glorious days of yesteryear: Yep, National Health would be bad. It would put the government in charge. The private sector can take care of it much better. What's that you say? Companies who tried to take care of their workers [as lack of a government-controlled system would encourage all companies to do] have to either cut health-care coverage for their workers and retirees or go under. All this while record numbers of people in the country have no health coverage.

Some day, people who work for a living will realize that when Conservative "think tanks" bloviate about the benefits of the private sector over government, what they're really advocating is having their corporate sponsors put buckets of money in their pockets while the poor and the workers continue to see their income and benefits disappear. "There's nothing surer/the rich get richer and the poor get poorer/in the meantime, in between time/ain't we got Bush!"

Here, Petty, I'll save you a post: WingNut! 8) DriveBy! :twisted: Where's your specifics? :roll: What's your alternative? :shock: Ostrich! :oops: Terrorist tool and lackey of the universal left-wing conspiracy of scientists and college professors and people named Clinton! :?

4. pettyfog

well, thanks for that... but GM made their own bed by not being able to see past their longest term plan.

What you dont mention is that the actual cost of health care under single payer is not likely to go down, for the same reasons the HMO bubble burst. I'm speaking of the tendency for some patients to account for excessive unnecessary costs.

Once things settle out, we'll see the same problems we have with HMO's... some clerk deciding on treatments.

Of course the providers' incomes will also have to be regulated.

But Actually here's what I'm speaking of: