If we are relegated

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Fulhamburger, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

wouldn't we have a really good chance of getting promoted back up into the topflight after only one season in the championship league. I mean aren't most of our current players on contract for at least 4 seasons. I don't really know all the reprecussions of relegation yet other than losing out on the t.v. payments.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, there's a parachute payment as you go down and that gives newly relegated teams an advantage. In many cases, however, you MUST lose players because of payroll and reduced 1st team squad [all due to significantly reduced revenue]. Many times, what you lose will be the younger, skilled players, or those whose age might work against you going back up. Under those two categories, I could see us losing Dempsey, Davies, Keller, Murphy, etc.

The players we'd most likely hang on to would be those brought in by the last two managers. Baird, Kamara, Healy, Bouazza, Davis, Nevland, Hangeland could be the nucleus of a promotion-level team.

There are two big worries with relegation:

1. If there is a huge belt-tightening move, we'll lose most of our quality players, and possibly our manager as well. We'd have a couple months of lack-of-cohesion to start the season, and that might be enough to cripple us.

2. If we go down because of poor performance [rather than less-than-quality personnel], there's likely to be a huge drop in morale from MAF to each of the fans, and this can cause you to drop.

It's only happened once that I'm aware of, but a side -- Northampton Town -- was relegated three years in a row. They were way above their head in the old second division but still got promoted and the hammering they got their one year in the old first division demoralized them to the point that they began going out every Saturday expecting to get thumped.

By contrast, Sunderland keeps getting relegated, but keeps coming right back up. Their resilience is that they are a long-established club with a huge local following in a football-mad area.

Which category would we fall into? It's hard to say, but my gut feeling is that (a) if we do get relegated and (b) if we don't bounce right back up, it may be 5-15 years before we get back. As a matter of fact, if both a and b happen, our odds of getting relegated again within 5 years are probably shorter than our odds of going back up during the same time frame.

Everybody -- with the exception of Everton -- has been relegated at least once in the last 50 years or so. It's not necessarily the death sentence, but Luton Town [for example] were relegated out of the top flight just before it became the Premiere League. In the 15 years since, they've spent more time in the bottom two leagues than in the 2nd level, and they've never once looked like going up with the big boys again.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

If...If...If...

hasn't happened yet, let's keep our chins up.

Heck, if the Patriots won the Super Bowl, they would have been undefeated :lol: :lol:

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Quite simply, the Coca-Cola Championship is a tough league to make predictions. You might say Fulham will have one of the better teams, but it is a long season (46 matches). I would like to think Fulham will have a good chance to get promoted, but I really have no idea. Promotion sometimes come down to solid team cohesion and effectiveness as a unit rather than pure talent.

I hope we do not get relegated this season, but if we do, it will be interesting in the CCC next season.

5. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

thanks guys that helped me a lot

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

this post wipes away all the bad juju...FFC is not getting relegated.

7. 1955FulhamFan

1955FulhamFan New Member

OK bad juju wiped away. Here comes mojo to replace juju COYW

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No..fulham is not getting relegated.

This guy would have to be a terrible manager for that to happen; there's a certain motivational aspect to trying to get in the best posssible/available players and that will inspire enough to beat the drop.. again.

Cant see it happening NEXT season though. This stuff builds up.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If we get relegated, then I think our chances are good that we come back up. Kamara for some reason is lights out in that league and Healy is too. There is a possibility of 40 goals between them and also don't forget that Baird dominates the league. However, like Don has said if we don't get up the first time we could have serious problems. This is what worries is that we go down and lose half our squad and then don't come back up. If that happens Mo could lose interest and we could be screwed beyong belief. I have always had this fear that once we go down we will lose our club within 10 years because we are a fairly small team that nobody outside of American and England has ever heard of. I hope i'm wrong, but I seriously think we could go from Premier League to Conference in 10 years.

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I can't accept the notion we will go down. Well, not in February. If we were in Derby's spot then it would be more clear. It is still a good 5 way race to fill up the relegation spots.

The only thing I can see that is clear right now is that Reading are in complete free-fall. Another thing I find really interesting is if Newchastle can be sucked down into this mess. They didn't score a league goal in January. They have some nasty fixtures coming up : Man U, Blackburn, and Liverpool.

But yeah, Let's see how the West Ham game goes at Home and we will have a clearer picture. I doubt if Fulham did get relegated the would be in the Conference in 10 years. This club has looked the specter of Conference football in the face before, I doubt it will happen again.

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

This thread makes me sad...