I was a little doubtful of Bradley at first...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Yo_Adrian, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

...but I'm starting to like what he's doing with the MNT.

He put so many different players on the field during the friendlies, and even during the T&T game that we're starting to see who is showing some promise for our next generation national team.

It's great to see so many get their first caps, and I'm thinking it's a great idea now that we've had a few vets retire after the world cup.

I liked that Bocanegra got the armband also, I think he has the leadership for it. As for Keller, I say let him get to his century of caps and then hand the job over to Howard.

2. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

I like what he's doing...but I remain optimistically skeptical (my default manner). I think seeing how he handles the Copa should be a big indicator. If he includes a ton of young talent, then we'll know he's interested in putting young players through the ringer to see which of them has what it takes to contribute in the world cup. I'd love to see a squad comprised of a lot of young guys + a few veterans for the Copa.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Great to see he has gotten off to a fantastic start, but I will hold my judgement until later. Copa will be a huge test against against top competition. Something the US doesn't face on a regular basis.

One thing I do like about Bradley is he goes out on a limb and is getting the younger players some time. This is a transition for the US moving out older players and the inclusion of the new faces. Also, he lacks the arrogance that Arena had. He has a great staff that has aided him in the transition and he adapts to games well during matches. Well done so far, but lets see what they are able to do in the Copa.

4. tibor

tibor New Member

I gotta say, I like Deuce at the F. Now if Sanchez is taking notes we'd have something there.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Dempsey is a pretty versatile player and if LS fails to utilize him up front that is his lost.

Probably Fulham's best attacking option.

6. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

Re: RE: I was a little doubtful of Bradley at first...

Absolutely. Looking forward to Copa.. kinda sucks we have Argentina to face first though, talk about a baptism by fire for some of our newer guys. Something tells me we won't be seeing a 4-0 result like we did tonight against El Salvador :wink:

7. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

Re: RE: I was a little doubtful of Bradley at first...

Agreed, he looked real comfy up front.

Hope Lawrie has him starting some games next season.

8. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: I was a little doubtful of Bradley at first...

My biggest fear about the Copa isn't that we won't be able to score goals against top sides, but we won't be able to stop the other sides from scoring. If El Salvador, Guatemala and even a new TNT side can cause problem imagine what Paraguay and Argentina can do. Glad that Howard is the keeper now.

He has great poise, puts himself in great position and his reflexes have improved greatly.

Lawrie...please watch some matches and realize what a valuable attacking option you have in Dempsey. Make the slogan for next season "Deuce on the Loose".

9. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

My guess is that Onyewu is going to be flat out embarrassed if he plays against Argentina. If Donovan doesn't come to the Copa, then I would be very worried about scoring goals, as Feilhaber hasn't developed the attacking midfielder qualities that LD has.

BTW I would LOVE to see Jimmy Conrad play in the Copa.

10. Team_of_McBrides

I know there is the whole debate of Club v. Country, but Donovan has to realize that the Copa is far more important to his career than playing for the Galaxy. If he performs well, scores some goals and helps lead the US out of the group stage or even further that would be fantastic. Not just for him, but for the USMNT as a whole.

The US can score without Donovan, but I would much rather have him in the side. When he is on, not many defenses can stop him.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I think Donovan already said he is not going.

12. Team_of_McBrides

There is always hope he will change his mind. Based on how much promise the US shows in the Gold Cup and the lead up to the Copa will probably have a big influence on his decision.

Doesn't seem to be a foolish guy and knows if he performs well on an international stage it will pay dividends in the future.

13. tibor

tibor New Member

I heard that Bradley was going to focus more on the Gold Cup and less on Copa, so there could be a few more Bradley the younger types playing in that tourney. Kind of a shame.

14. Team_of_McBrides

Bradley also has to deal with many players returning to Europe for training and preseason matches with their clubs. I also read that he would bring a fair amount of the younger players with him. Better to get them more experience in the build up then.

15. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

I read about this too awhile back. I don't really understand the decision to hold back on Copa, it's a bigger stage against far better opponents than the Gold Cup. Being as competitive as possible during these matches is the best way to build a World Cup quality squad.

LD tends to choke at times when it matters, maybe that's part of the reason he wants to stay home?

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

If the US trots out a weaker team for Copa America than this ridiculous Gold Cup I will be embarassed and it will go to show what that US Soccer is a joke. The criticism of the US team after last summer's World Cup was NOT playing against solid opponents. Well, they are getting their chance and they are NOT going to field their best players? That is a disgrace.

This thing called the Gold Cup is an absolute joke. CONCACAF is a joke as well. The US needs to get some experience against teams like Argentina, Brazil and learn to play in hostile environments like Venezuela. Whomever's idea it was to let someone like Donovan skip Copa America is a fool.

Someone please wake me up when the Gold Cup is over. I would rather watch a kick about at a local park.

17. Jux

Jux New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: I was a little doubtful of Bradley at first.

My understanding is that Bradley wants to win the Gold Cup this year so that the USMNT will get the CONCACAF invite to the 2009 Confederations Cup. They would then use that competition as a tune-up to the World Cup. Granted, the Copa America winner also gets an invite, but I imagine that Bradley would rather go with more of sure bet.

That being said, I would also like to see a strong side head to Copa America.

18. Team_of_McBrides

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I was a little doubtful of Bradley at fi

Unfortunately I believe the US will field a side of mostly MLS players and a few European based players. The lack of determination to put the best squad available together shows that the USSF believes we don't have what it takes to win against top sides. Why field a solid team and give it everything you have if it isn't a sure win? Instead they are comfortable with throwing a weaker side out there and if they do well great, but if they fail then they have an excuse of an undermanned side.

Can't get my head around some of the decisions the lot of them make.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Ok...if no one on the Gold Cup Roster, who for Copa?

so let's say that not one player on the Gold Cup roster is on the Copa America roster (even though there probably will be a few), who do you want to see on the Copa America squad? List a few choices or an entire squad if you like...and please critique mine.

My choices:

GK: Marcus Hannehman, Matt Reis

Defenders: Steve Cherundolo (is he injured?), Jose Burciaga Jr, Heath Pearce, Jimmy Conrad, Cory Gibbs

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman, Clint Mathis, Dane Richards, Bobby Convey (if recovered from his injury),

Forwards: Ante Razov, Josh Wolf, Chris Rolfe......the strikers...i'm reaching here...i just don't know who to call up....Jeff Cunningham? i don't know.

I think it's time to give Mathis an opportunity...and I think Copa America would be a big one for him. I say throw him out there and let's see. I also like this young guy Dane Richards. He has some serious pace over there.

20. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Ok...if no one on the Gold Cup Roster, who for Copa?

obviously that's not an entire roster...just throwing out a few names. one more thing too....I agree w/ TOC that we're going to see a mostly younger squad...but I think the purpose for that is Bradley probably has a good idea on who the top 15-18 guys are for the World Cup. Putting younger players in an environment such as Copa American will tell him a lot as to how each player reacts to the pressure and competition....Surely he's looking for maybe 4-6 guys who stand out that can be put into a qualifying squad and help push the other guys on the roster....maybe even find someone that will become a standout for the USMNT. Also, it could be an opportunity to take some veterabn guys who many feel have passed their day in the sun (Mathis, Wolfe, ect.) and see if they can't reignite their International careers. just some thoughts