HELP! Need a modem and router

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Apr 24, 2008.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I need to buy a modem and router and need help knowing what to buy and what not to buy. any suggestions?

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Dogg what type of router are you looking for? As in wireless or directly wired. I am currently using a Linksys wireless router and get a great signal anywhere in my house. I would have to look up the model number when I get home if you want specifics but I have had good luck with both the Linksys wireless routers I have purchased.

My IT guy alwasy told me one cable modem is as good as the next as long as it is able to operate at the same speeds your internet provider is delivering to you.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

doggie, if I were looking for something in that area, I'd pm Pettyfog and ask for advice.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

DSL? If you can get it in one item and the phone co will stand behind it.. {google for comments of users} then go ahead and use theirs.

OTHERWISE - for the wireless router: Linksys. Esp for the cable application, as they often sell them separate.

If you're talking dialup modem, just about any current name/model. They're all about the same, using the same chipsets.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'm thinking Comcast because for the area I live in they have the fastest connection. however, the only jack in the house is in my bedroom where i don't really want the modem and router. The other rooms have phone Jacks so DSL would work, but none of the providers can give me the speed that Comcast can. My wife and I both have laptops and never use our desktop, so we were not even going to hook it up. I will take your advice Fog with the Linksys. Thanks....and I'm proud to say this is my 1,000th post!

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well, then... you got laptops, you want wireless.

Just use the WEP -or better- security and dont 'broadcast' the wireless ID. And DO NOT let the cable guy set it up with your phone # as the password or WEP key.

The modem and/with wireless router dont make noise and dont care where they are. Use 'em as 'nightlites?

To make it clear... you WANT the Comcast supplied modem. Makes Cust service troubleshooting MUCH easier. And they arent wanting to give you something they have trouble with.

google
    broadband comcast review forum salt lake

some interesting stuff.. esp:
    http://comcastissue.blogspot.com/

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

thanks Fog. I'm all over it!