Hello from Baltimore area

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by CStoneNo37, Aug 21, 2006.

1. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

Hopefully soon I'll be able to add a Baltimore location or two to the pub list.

My becoming-a-fan story is pretty simple... I always watched the World Cup matches but never followed it up with any attention to club football. So this year I watched nearly every match in some form (either at work or at home) and really got into it.

After the World Cup I decided to get the sports cable package that includes Fox Soccer and GolTV, and then it was only natural to pick a team. I was born in England, so I was going to go with whatever team was closest to where I was born, but that would have been Leeds or Manchester United, and I couldn't bring myself to root for Man U for obvious reasons (I'm a huge Baltimore Orioles fan... cheering for a team that draws comparisons to the Yankees would be impossible).

So I did a lot of reading and went with Fulham because of its location and, of course, because of its prominent American players.

Since then I've just completely immersed myself in FFC news and have been taking in everything I could read on message boards and Web sites because I don't know how to be a fan any other way... I must spend 10-20 hours a week reading about the Orioles in the summer and Capitals hockey in the winter...

So here I am. I think this is where I say, COYWs!!!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

We appreciate Bal'mer fans!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

CStone37 and all the other newbies, do not let yesterday's disappointing loss get you down. It would have been great to get a win over Manchester United, but it was not to be. Let's jsut hope the Cottagers can get things turned around in a hurry this week.

Cheers and welcome aboard! You picked a great club to follow!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Welcome. Love Charm City. As for yesterday, as they say in your home town, "Believe!"

5. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

I'm not too worried about yesterday's performance. Man U had to be feeling like the world was against them with the suspensions, and they already had so much to prove after the whole Rooney vs. Ronaldo thing. I figured Man U would either come out completely flat or firing on all cylinders, and unfortunately for us it was the latter. That team would have beat up on a lot of clubs yesterday.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It was interesting to see Psycho Pearce's comments after Citeh lost to Chelscum yesterday. [Paraphrasing here] "Most of the sides are going to come here and lose. It's how we play against the teams at our level that will decide how well we do this season."

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Baltimore, one of my most favorite city's and I'm proud to say that I was at Camden Yards the first season it opened...what was that, 1992?

Anywho, welcome aboard and one think you'll read and find out about Fulham is that we are a rollercoaster of a club that will keep you well addicted because you won't know whats next.

Glad you found FulhamUSA and Welcome aboard.

8. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

Re: RE: Hello from Baltimore area

Thanks for the warm welcome. Glad to hear you like our fine city!

Camden Yards is a great stadium and a great place to watch baseball. It's a shame they don't field a team that packs the stands. Those early seasons at Camden Yards were amazing (You are right, 1992 is when it opened).

Like I had mentioned, I was born in England but moved here when I was too young to remember, grew up smack between Baltimore and Washington and now live close to Baltimore but work close to Washington.

I love both cities, but I've always spent more time in Baltimore so I consider that more my home.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ah yes, the BW Parkway is testament to the fact that everyone who lives near Bawmer works near DC and vice versa!

And I wouldn't trust anyone who ever spent any time in Bawmer and didn't have a soft spot for it, although my heart is still on 33rd Street, not at Camden Yards.

10. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: RE: Hello from Baltimore area

Hi, CStone. We have a few other active members in the area. I live in McLean and work in Suitland, and DCHeather lives in Annapolis and works in DC. Maybe we'll have to have a local chapter meeting sometime.

11. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Hello from Baltimore area

Haha I grew up less than a mile from the 197 exit on the Parkway, so I've traveled that road many times. I'm actually a little further west now so I take I-95 to work.

As for Camden Yards vs. Memorial, all my fondest baseball memories are on Eutaw because I was 8 when the new stadium opened. I only vaguely remember Memorial.

Ah you work in glorious Prince George's County! I spent my whole life there (lived in Laurel, went to high school in Greenbelt, college in College Park) and now work in College Park, but I made my way to Howard County at long last. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of pride in P.G. and I'll defend it against anyone trying to talk bad about it, but I'm glad I don't live there anymore... :lol:

12. BC

BC New Member

Cstone, welcome. I too am a new fan of FFC.

No worries! It was a fluke game. I know we're better than that. In fact, I watched the highlights of last year's win against Chelscum at the Cottage for encouragement.