Happy Birthday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 23, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

to William Shakespeare, a poet, playwright, and actor of this parish -- and a long-time Fulham fan.

Also happy death day, since his last birthday was his last day.

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Yeah You and Bill used to sit behind the goal didnt you Don?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yep, right next to Kit Marlowe, Sir Walter Raliegh [he was such a stupid git], and Alfred the Great. We were the original Fulham Boot Boyz.

Fulham Rules Foresooth!

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, that must have been where Marlowe handed over his scribbles to Shakespeare. :wink:

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

This is interesting I never knew this about Raleigh

Death
    Raleigh was beheaded at Whitehall on 29 October 1618. "Let us dispatch", he asked his executioner. "At this hour my ague comes upon me. I would not have my enemies think I quaked from fear." After he was allowed to see the axe that would behead him, he mused: "This is a sharp Medicine, but it is a Physician for all diseases and miseries". According to many biographers — Raleigh Trevelyan in his book Sir Walter Raleigh (2003) for instance — Sir Walter's final words (as he lay ready for the axe to fall) were: "Strike, man, strike!" which later on became the cry at Craven Cottage.

The corpse was to be buried in the local church in Beddington, Surrey, the home of Lady Raleigh. "The Lords", she wrote, "have given me his dead body, though they have denied me his life. God hold me in my wits".[10] After Raleigh's execution, his head was embalmed and presented to his wife. She died 29 years later and it was returned to Raleigh's tomb at St. Margaret's, Westminster [11] a few years later Raleigh was cremated and he's remains scattered over the pitch at Craven Cottage he's beloved Football club where he would share an afternoon of enjoyment frequently with he's friends William Don and kit. quite often after they would enjoy a quiet moment at the local brew known as the Ye old Golden Lion. [12]

Although his popularity had waned considerably since his Elizabethan heyday, his execution was seen by many, both at the time and since, as unnecessary and unjust. It has been suggested that any involvement in the Main Plot appears to have been limited to a meeting with Lord Cobham.[citation needed] One of the judges at his trial later said: "the justice of England has never been so degraded and injured as by the condemnation of the honorable Sir Walter Raleigh."[13]