GOP YouTube debates

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 29, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I thought it started well, but then degenerated..

A question from a Hillary plant. CNN .. or, Anderson Cooper, 'shocked' that guy named Kerr was a political operative for Hillary. "We would have made that clear had we known" Sure... the ONE guy you bring into the audience to buttress the stickiest question, and you dont even google him. 'Right!'

CNN are such schmucks. One of the analysts poo-pooed the Huckabee answer about 'doing away with IRS'.. evidently never heard of the 'Fair Tax'

Huckabee and McCain stood out. Romney really fell down, several times. Giuliani okay.

Thompson would REALLY make a great veep. His background as an anti-corruption force would make him perfect for that. President ..no, eight years ago, I wished he would run. He's lost the fire he had in the Senate. I think he's seen too much and that's a big reason he quit.

By the way.. I was surprised at how even Huckabee didnt answer the "Capital Punishment: What would Jesus do?" question more directly.

- Render unto Caesar..
    and
    - Not what he would do, what he did.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Was that the Bible question? That was pretty ridiculous. Hard to believe, or maybe not so much, that they played that one.

The more I see of Romney the more I detest him. Phoney desperate faker, a whore if ever there was one.

Thompson and McCain did well in my opinion, Hunter is interesting as well. The real big loser was, sorry to say it Smokin, Ron Paul. Views aside he's having trouble spiting his words out.

My overall impression after watching the debate tonight, my gawd I am NOT a Republican.

3. pettyfog

RE: Re: GOP YouTube debates

No, it was about the gays in the military. Retired Gay General. HE wants them able to come out while in the military.

Actually there were several of those questions posed by people who are actively supporting a Dem for president.

I agree with Ed Morrisey, though.
    Since they would be asked in a general election debate, the only thing one could ask, since it's a primary, is that the questioner's allegiances be identified.

We didnt see this in the CNN Dem debates, where avowed republicans could ask them questions... though it would have been kind of hard to elbow out the Hillary operatives.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nothing snarky here, just looking for information.

As I mentioned on one of these threads earlier, the fact that the Texas primary is held long after each party is usually down to one candidate, I usually only take scant notice of early primaries/caucuses. I'm a little intrigued by Representative Duncan Hunter.

Can one of you debate/campaign junkies tell me what his "end game" strategy is? I know his policies and his statements, and my knee jerk tells me that he's in it for the VP position -- to provide some CA Reagan Revolution balance to some east coast/northern guys who's a little more palatable to the center. Mit? Rudy?

What's your take?

5. pettyfog

It's like yours... a Reaganite. He's only in it for 2012 recognition, IMO.

Now a question for you, Don. Since a lot of those questions were loaded... Including the one about the 'literal bible' interpretation {That was NO bible thumper asking that!} and probably the confederate flag one... tell me again why the Dems wouldnt debate on Fox?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

couldn't tell you, pard. I didn't watch. You're not equating Fox News with U-Tube are you?

7. pettyfog

No, Don... I'm talking about CNN/YouTube

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: GOP YouTube debates

Guess I missed that one.

9. pettyfog

Well... I have been collecting my thoughts to post on the aftermath of this circle jerk.

Current total of questions used, from those who had no intention of voting for anyone Republican, no-where, no-how:

NINE! out of thirty selected. And I'm PRETTY SURE that didnt include 'Bible-Boy'. So let's say TEN!

Again, let me say that I had NO problem with those questions being used, IF those posing them had identified themselves as Democrats. I think they were handled reasonably well... except for Romney on the Stars&Bars. He didnt LOSE it but he muddled his point.

They were trap questions, posed by people who wanted to present Republicans in the worst possible light, but anyone who's a serious contender had damn well better be able to answer them.
    While of course, NOT expecting any Democrat to...

But I need to raise a point or two. First: it's all too easy for some to throw dirt at Fox News... after this, along with the Hillary plants in the Dem debates, I assume that will stop, right? After all, it's been proven over and over that Libs are simply projecting what they know about their own tricks onto the 'opposition', AS USUAL.

Second: instead of being embarrassed for themselves, the hard left at sites likeMyDD are accusing Michelle Malkin of 'stalking' again.
    {We dont have 'strike-thru' on here, so I deleted scum sucking douchebags at MyDD}

Ah... anyway, though Limbaugh yesterday made some good points about CNN turning the debates (both parties) into a circus, I dont necessarily agree. As my brother says "It is what it is".

Let's shine a light on the 'convergences of morons' so that we know exactly what they are up to.

Speaking of which, Ron Paul should have been allowed to talk more.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the problem with the whole shebang -- and it's been this way for a while -- is that they're not debates. Debates involve a little bit of dialogue and the exchange of a lot of supporting information. Nobody can communicate an opinion on a complex topic in 30 seconds. Nobody can analyze the use of [or gaps in] logic if everyone has to deal in bumperstickers. The ONLY use for these debates is that they help the True Believers decide who's name goes on the checks they're going to write.

Every four years, I get sick of the dog show that passes for political discourse in this country, go to the library, and research the text of the Lincoln-Douglas debates [Annals of America should have them all, if you're interested], and weep over the trivial nature of politics today, and remember when I used to introduce the term "statesmanship" in classes I taught.

If you can determine who will be the more effective candidate or the most effective president from watching these debates, you're a better cryptographer than I ever was.

"In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve." -- de Tocqueville.

If we're satisfied that having a dozen people stand up and say whether or not they believe in evolution is a good way of determining whether they should make life and death decisions for the next four years, then we really do get what we deserve.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i saw about 30 seconds of this. freddy thompson didnt answer the question about social security but still talked about it, and then "the bible" question was asked.

i agree with your sentiments dom - it's all canned bumper stickers.

wake me when its the actual election.

oh wait, dont do that. i probably wont vote for any candidate (dem or rep) anyway.

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well then mate as Don put in his post

The choice is yours but I think you'll be making(or not making one) the wrong one.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

As for the debate process itself,

a)as far as I know evolution wasn't mentioned in the debate, there was the retarded "do you believe every word of the bible?" question, which they responded to by gently saying no.

b)as it currently stands there are EIGHT candidates pulling at least 1% in the polls, we do have to let them all debate don't we? Or would you rather we just silence them and let the top three or so on tv?

c)My grasp of history can be suspect, but I recall reading that there was quite a bit of bumper sticker politicking going on in old Abe's day and well before then as well

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Spencer,

The evolution question was in an earlier Republican debate, where each of the 52 candidates had to answer either "yes" or "no." I think 2 people said "yes."

You're right about campaign style. The Republicans, from their inception, have told their candidates to say as little as possible and to make everything they say "glittering generalities." That's why, in 1976 and in the early 1980 primaries, Ronald Reagan gave extensive interviews at every airport answering every question about complex issues, but -- during the general election and especially in 1984's "morning in America" never said anything of substance. It's also why you can't find anything interesting that Lincoln said during either of his presidential campaigns, because the party told him to stay in his house in Illinois and not make any speeches.

My comment on the Lincoln-Douglas debates [during the campaign for an Illinois senate seat] was to contrast REAL debates with what's going on now. The single most complex issue in the history of the United States was slavery, and these two gentlemen discussed it with that very much in mind. These debates are just an exercize in avoiding discussing issues interspersed with the hope that they can get a zinger in.

The good news for me is that one half of my dream matchup is gaining in the polls and just might be the standard bearer in November if things keep going this way. My dream matchup? Well, I've given up on actually liking a candidate [my last "for" vote was in 1984; all of them since have been "against" votes], so my dream matchup is made up of one candidate from each party that I can look at and think that each is an honest, capable, and caring person and that either would be a decent caretaker of our institutions and our liberty.

And I ain't telling you my "dream matchup" but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Pettyfog's also.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My guess on Don's dream matchup is Obama v Ron Paul.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

You gonna leave us dangling like that Don!

I'm guessing its McCaine v Obama, not sure that this meshes with the pettyfog agrees part of the equation though.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nailed it; first time out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, not really 8)

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I'm simply not going to vote - I probably will. But I really dont like any particular candidate from either party.

And being from MA, it wont matter anyway. The state hasn't gone Republican since 1984. So unless the Dem candidate is a complete joke, and a Rep candidate somehow becomes unstoppable (which isnt going to happen), it'll go Blue as usual.

As an Independent, its all really frustrating.

19. pettyfog

Look... anyone bets now is really long shot UNLESS they pick Hillary v Giuliani..

But I am betting Gore v Giuliani v Paul/Kucinich.

How's THAT for a long-shot!

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

For idealism and being breathes of fresh air: Obama v. Paul

For realism and experience: Biden v. McCain

Which means we will get............not Hillary, hopefully. And there is most definitely something about Romney that seems shady, if not liar-like.