Goooooch! ... spells 'Oguchi Onyewu'

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Apr 28, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good column about Gooch, but the guy must be very young if he's still waiting for his first American European star. Both Friedel and Howard have been named to the end-of-year EPL Best 11 Squad in this decade, not to mention a certain Arlington Heights striker who's been voted his team's best player by the fans two years in a row.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Agree!

His basic points are valid, {eg he needs to 'pair' with one who gets his playing style} but he MIGHT have pointed out that Gooch has the ability to learn from his mistakes, and constantly improve his 'vision', particularly on the defensive end.

I think the boy writer is preaching to the choir and perhaps a little too 'enamored' of the subject. Gooch is good, real good, but he still needs the playing partner, as shown several times.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

I love the Hangman, but I continue to wonder whether picking up Gooch and pairing him and Boca full-time might have been a great benefit (by way of improved chemistry, which I think the two already seem to have) to both FFC and the USMNT.

I'll tell you who he's better than: Aaron Hughes.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

By far, the two most improved USMNT players during the Bradley era [if it's gone on long enough to be called that] are Gooch and Donovan. Both are tactically sound and fulfilling their promise.

Wow, this is twice in three days I've praised Donovan. I have to go check the back of my neck for pods now.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Gooch did NOT play against Liverpool today. I think that means he's on the move -- possibly to another side involved in the ECL.

I hope he chooses well this time.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i too thought that gooch's absence was due to a possible transfer, but is he in the u.s. right now for the w.c. qualifier match next week? i'm stoked that he didn't feature b/c most likely it is because he is being transferred.

0-0 is a good result for liege as no away goals were conceded. however, i support the 'pool in the CL and want them to thrash s. liege at home.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Settle. He had a red card or accumulated yellows, or something along those lines (so I was told by a Belgian Liege Fan) in a league match. Which means no play for Gooch-ay, to-day.

0-0 ain't bad for Les Rouges.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Anybody get any feedback on how Gooch did against 'Pool in the 1-0 heartbreaker? Soccernet had one line mentioning that he did well against Torres. :shrug: just fishing I guess - does anyone think he did enough to get picked up by a decent side in the next few days? He's cup-tied, but for mid-tier teams, that's not really an issue.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I watched (while listening to Fulham). He was a MONSTER......and without getting thrown out.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

...and wouldn't he be cup tied only until the next window...and only relevant if he landed at Marseille or Lyon that is? Mid-table Serie A would do him a world of good in my opinion.

I could be wrong...I could be right.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Needs to refine his skills somewhere, and while playing catanaccio would not be a bad place, I think he is a little too rough and tumble for that league. The amount of cards he would accumulate would be astounding and render him ineffective. I am afraid it is either Eridivisie, Ligue 1, or The Premiership again for the big lug.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ligue 1 or EPL. Eredivisie is only a half-step up from Juliper.

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like Reina saved Liverpool's bacon. Have to imagine that Gooch wanted to show every "expert" in England that thinks he can't hack it from his brief stay in Toon town that they don't know squat. Think he'll stay until the Jan. window, but a last second swoop wouldn't be shocking.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Gooch seems like a good guy - I could see him signing an extension so that Standard could get a good transfer deal for him, like vdS did.

As for a possible destination - maybe Scotland? That seems like one place he could go and not have little Portuguese guys falling over every time he breathes near them. Of course, he's much more likely to progress as a player by playing in a league where he learns to deal with that kind of player.

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Italy would be best for him. A touch of catenaccio would serve him (and the U.S.) well.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I second the Italy notion, Gooch could become a true force on the back line if he is in the right situation

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think the French League....Rennes, perhaps ;-)