Goal of the Year

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ohio4fulham, May 13, 2008.

1. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

For you, what was the goal of the year?

Obviously there's Murphy's relegation-staving header and Kamara's bike, but for me, the best goal of the year was Simon Davies wicked volley against Reading.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Wow, it's a tough call!

In addition to the ones you mentioned, you can't forget to consider Kamara's winner at Man City, which was awesome (in terms of the quality of the finish itself) and at the very end of the game and hugely important.

For me, though, I think it's gotta be the goal following The Wink. The Wink was the turning point of the season.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Kamara goal winner v Citeh. Perfect weighted pass from Murphy, rocket w/his off foot. All of a sudden the lads could see the finish line.

4. Bradical

Bradical Member

I think it has to be Kamara's against ManCity to make it 3-2... a transcendant comeback...

Bullard's late goal against Aston Villa got the turnaround started IMO, it showed that Bullard could make an impact and it was FFC's first win in about 3 months.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow -- all worthy contenders. I'll go w/ Kamara's overhead kick, because he couldn't have done it again if he tried it 100 times. That's not a rip on him, but how often are you going to place a blind kick that far in the corner, an absolutely unblockable shot.

Murphy's second chance penalty kick is up there for the degree of heart failure it gave me. Living and dying and elating, all within about 2 seconds.

6. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Kamara's game winner would have to be it for me. it's the goal that kept us fighting

7. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

I'm with jmh- The Wink. Can't get enough of it!

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I have to go with Murphy's last goal. Like Gentleman Jim said he was perhaps "the least likely" of the field to get it done, but he did it!! He really cranked it up when the CLUB needed him.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Whichever goal it was that officially put us one ahead of Reading!

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Goal of the Year

could someone please find "The Wink" and post a video link? thanks!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hard to argue with Murphy's goal ... just as it was hard to argue with Dempsey's last year.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I vote the Murphy header that saved Fulham as being goal of the year.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Goal of the Year

Oms; look on the "great escape thread". The Wink is around the 1:40 mark on the vid.

14. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: Re: RE: Goal of the Year

Thanks SoCal. I think it was 'the wink' as well. It was the goal that, I think, defined the turnaround of the players under Roy's management and had it not occurred, Murphy's goal may not have mattered.

But I will say, that I yelled louder at Murphy's goal than I did Bullards!

15. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

RE: Re: RE: Goal of the Year

I've watched the EPL review show replay of our win 3 times and what strikes me is when Kamara got trundled over 40 yards from goal, Murphy came over and picked up the ball and placed it for JB, who picked it up of course and found the exactly perfect piece of grass to put it on. All the while Murphy is sauntering over to the box not drawing too much attention to himself, just as he crosses the 18, half the Pompey defense goes to the far post runners, and half to the near. Jimmy delivers a brilliantly weighted pass with the perfect amount of curve, Danny(God Bless Danny) Murphy puts head to ball and the rest is Fulham History............There were so many awesome goals this year, but how do you top that one because it was all on the line, oh yea, with time running out in the season. Karma is a beautiful thing..............

16. jonbruns

jonbruns New Member

As a pure goal its gotta be Kamara's bicycle kick against, was it Tottenham?
    In terms of importance, I would say Kamara's goal vs City to get the win and of course, Murphy's header to stay up.

17. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Gotta go with Kamara's winner at Citeh. That goal was the catalyst for everything that followed.

18. Silas

Silas New Member

I would say Murphy's header. Obviously it was worth the most, but I think it showed a little Fulham as well. Just as there were those who doubted the team, there were those who doubted Murphy. Both pulled through, and now Fulham is staying up.