Future of Yanks at Fulham Under New Management?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jmh, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

Say what you like about Coleman's prowess as a tactician, but one thing he certainly showed is that he's willing to give Americans a chance to shine. (Compare that to, say, Clint Mathis, who scored some goals right when he arrived at Hannover but still didn't get into many games.)

Now, I suppose it's pretty well set that McHead is entrenched at the Cottage, at least for next season until his contract expires, and there's never any doubt about his commitment on the field. But is there cause for concern that Boca or Deuce might find their chances to get on the field limited by a new manager (be it Sanchez or someone else if he doesn't get the job permanently) who could possibly dismiss them out of hand simply for being American? And, on a more forward-looking basis, will Cookie's firing signal the end of the club's scouting and signing of players from MLS?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't imagine Fulham's interest in American players will die out simply because Coleman is out as manager. As long as players in MLS can be bought at relatively cheap prices by Premiership standards, I still think there will be interest in Americans at Fulham.

As for Bocanegra and Dempsey, this is an opportunity to show Lawrie Sanchez what they are made of. Dempsey has not really had the chance to acclimate himself with the league yet and Bocanegra is a fringe squad player at this point. However, through the end of this season and in preseason training, both of these players will have a chance to show their skills off to Sanchez or the new manager.

I find it very hard to believe a manager would completely dismiss a player's abilities based on the fact that he is American. Perhaps it happens as you mentioned with Mathis, but there might have been more to the story than we ever were told.

Managing is bottom line about getting positive results for the club. That being said, a manager will play the best players to get those positive results. Whether American, English, Spanish, Icelandic, Polish or Turkish, a manager needs to pick players not based on nationality, but based on skill and what he brings to the team. I hope Sanchez does that Saturday and throughout the rest of the his time at Fulham.

3. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Why do you consider Boca to be fringe? He's in the starting line up pretty much every game and has put the ball in the net more than anyone but McBride.

4. Pape-Bouba

Pape-Bouba New Member

I wouldn't call our 2nd highest scorer a fringe player!!!

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Not only the Yanks, but everybody on the roster should have to prove-up to Sanchez, and deservedly so. It's not as if he's inheriting a squad full of "all stars."

It is reported that Sanchez is already keen to bring in fellow Northern Ireland players David Healy (Leeds) and Steve Davis (Villains).

As ChicagoTom touched on, a new beginning could be a very good thing for somebody like Dempsey, who can start with a clean sheet and get his opportunity to shine...or maybe he's back in the MLS this summer. Either way, Dempsey and others, whether in training or in a match, will get their chance to impress Sanchez.

Also, wicked critique of Boca as a "fringe player"...impressive.

6. BC

BC New Member

I believe American players will continue to be of interest to Fulham because a) they are great bargains---you get quality players for a lesser salary than a European player of the same ability because Americans are still not at the same reputation level as Europe, b) there are 3 Americans there already who can help the recruting and transition of new Yanks. For a club with a smaller budget, Fulham would be remiss not to keep an eye on American players.

I remember the guys on World Soccer Daily saying (only half jokingly) that Chris Coleman has done more for American soccer than anyone.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

From what I hear, it wasn't only Coleman at Fulham who liked to give the Americans a chance. It was also some of the board who (one of whom was an American) who felt Americans could live up to the International standard set in the Premier League.

If you work hard and don't cause any unrest, regardless of your Nationality, you will get your chance to play at Fulham.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I call Bocanegra a fringe player because he has not cemented a position in back line of Fulham throughout his time at the club.

Additionally, if he was anything more than a fringe player, why is everyone clamoring to get new defenders in? While his goals have been nice this season, we do not need scoring defenders, we need defenders who can defend and keep the ball out of our own net. While it is not all Carlos's fault, he certainly has been part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Carlos is not a bad player, but he is by no means anything but an average at best Premiership player. If he was from anywhere but America most of you who disagree with me would likely see it the other way.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

agree...although I do think he has improved his defending since he first got here...and think he would continue to improve if he keeps playing. that said however, i do agree tom that he has been part of the problem as well and I'd have to say CC's biggest downfall was that he never properly addressed this situation...regardless of if he had the resources or not.