Fulham's '08-'09 Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Jun 5, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'FOG: can you merge this with the existing player of the year thread? Thanks.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sure... where is it?

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Damn, I could have sworn that I posted on a thread about this earlier in the week. It could have been on another site.

Sorry, SteveM19. This will happen to you in a few years!

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I went with Hangeland, but it was a tough choice. There were so many role-players and most of the roles were equal in importance. Here's my top 4 in order:

Our back 4 probably played the biggest part in the improvement this year. Of the 4, Brede was the most dominant. The man was practically Air Traffic Control in the back. While he faded a little down the stretch, he was the best of a very good defense.

Schwarzer was (to steal a line from Fog) MASSIVE in the second half. He had a nominee in Saves of the Week practically every week in the Spring. And he was solid in the first half.

Coming into the season, I'd thought Danny Murphy was winding down. But he really stepped up after Rocky Dennis was transferred to Hell in January. He was probably our most accurate passer, he seemed to play a large role in guiding Dickson Etuhu's development in central mid, and then you have his icewater veined penalties.

Dempsey was our co-scoring leader and probably our most creative option in attack. Not only did he tie AJ for top scorer, he setup a lot of goals too and you could argue he was our hardest worker on the pitch. And he did all of this after starting the season on the bench, then learning a new position (LM) while swapping back to the right a fair amount. Probably more of a most-improved candidate but he was big for Fulham this year.

7. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Well said 'AG...... My head goes with Schwarzer or Hangeland, but my heart goes with Dempsey. He was better this year in 3/4ths of a season, than Davies was last year in a full season, and we know what Davies won last year. No doubt the two big boys in the back played very well, but without CD in the lineup our creativity up front, and our point total would have been diminished.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great to have more than one worthy candidate, but had to give it to the big Texan...by way of Norway or is it Norwegian by way of Texas :?

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

My nomination went to Mr. Murphy. Always cool under pressure and kept everyone tied together through the midfield. Well done Captain Cool!

10. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Very very tough call, but I gotta go with Schwarzer. To me, his influence was the biggest difference down the stretch. He gets my vote by the VERY slimmest of margins over Hangeland and Murphy.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I went with Danny Murphy. The huge plate full of humble pie, augmented by scattered HatterDon words, was made more palatable by the presence of a finely aged Diet Dr. Pepper.

12. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

Fully agree with you, mate, I also go for Schwarzer, for his courage he recalls to me the immense Nevill Southall..... :D

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The primaries are over. It's time for the run-off election.

We're down to three guys who -- to me at least -- are the three most obvious receipients: Cap'n Danny, Brede the Hangman, and The Magic Aussie.

Go cast your votes:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... nVote.aspx

14. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

BIG AUSSIE!!
    BIG AUSSIE!!
    OY, OY, OY!!