Fulham Warns Supporters to Sit Down at the Cottage

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham has issues a warning via the press that Supporters attending matches at Craven Cottage need to sit down at matches. The club has said it is against the grounds rules to stay standed for the entirety of a match. Here is a link to the article I read on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 327418.stm

Any thoughts on this from either a supporters or the club's perspective?

2. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

yup, ain't gonna happen, they gonna eject all 350 members of the SUC from hammy end plus the WHOLE of putney end!?!?! I'd like to see them try and tell the scousers to sit down during their match at the end of the month!!

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

From the official board:

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I've never sat down at the Cottage (I've also never had a seat though to be honest).

All they need is some plastic horns, lots of moms half empty stadium and it would be the MLS.

DC United Supporters have been having this problem as well. Security telling them they cannot jump or dance or stand or sing during games because it bothers the other non-season ticket holders around them.

5. Jux

Jux New Member

Soon it will be like going to the movies. The same thing happens at a lot of concerts too.

Pathetic.

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I don't agree that there can't be atmosphere from in a stadium when you are seated but I much prefer to stand, and dance and sing! I sat in the STevenage rd. stand last october. I stayed seated the entire match (except for goals) but the whole block sang for a very large portion of the match and it was the most fun I've had at a match ever (at the time, the most fun I had was the home match vs. Pompey.)

Anywho, the 'SUC' at the back of the Hammy End are about 200 teenage FFC fans that stand the entire match, regardless of performance and sing, dance, etc. etc. Its a shame that they will now be threatened with ejection unless they sit! They do no one any harm and take up the last three rows. Anytime I go to matches now, I go in there area as it is some of the best atmosphere in the entire ground.

They should have sections in the stadium that are all standing and some that is all sitting. Go back to the old days where you were responsible for your actions instead of being baby sat 24/7. But, due to the regulations, laws, prawn sandwiches, crap, crap and crap, those days are dead.

7. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

I stood with the SUC in Hammy end at the Manyoo match for all of 5 minutes before i was ushered to my seat. I think that they are going to start enforcing this to some degree but only time will tell how successful they are. The stewards are useless at the best of times....we'll also see what happens at Charlton...there are alot of the SUC attending and a yank....should be interesting!

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

I think there are places where standing should be allowed and places where it should not be. I go to the DC United games and where I sit, people sit, and that's good for me because I don't want to stand the whole game. However, down where the supporters club is, they do stand the whole game. If I wanted to stand, I would go there. It's up to the team to tell single-game buyers if they are in a "standing" area, where they might have to stand to see the game.

Having never been to the Cottage, I don't know how such a policy would translate there, but I'm sure it sould be worked out. When I went to Loftus Road, I was in an area where people sat, but at one end was the Fulham crowd that stood much of the time.

9. Jux

Jux New Member

I agree that sitting won?t end the chanting, but I do think it is a slippery slope. Soon, you may encounter people that would rather you just shut-up and watch the game. MrsJux and I have encountered several such fans at various matches in the past (soccer, hockey, and football). We are vocal fans, but we are mindful of those around us (especially kids) and try to not make personal attacks or swear. I don?t know how we could make it anymore ?sanitized??and we STILL get looks. I really enjoy listening to the crowds when I watch the games on FSC and I just don?t want the same thing to happen at the Cottage or anywhere else in the EPL.

Chanting and singing are a crucial part of the sport for me. It's something I was able to see at it's peak when we went to the US/Mexico qualifier and the crowd was in full voice. I'll never forget that night.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Fulham Warns Supporters to Sit Down at the Cottage

Aye, that was a magical night..I was seated near the north end... and sec's 136, 137 and 138 stood and sang and danced the entire match.

Shame that the Crew set aside 137 for rowdies, most rules winked at, and they usually cant get enough for a decent chorus!

Mayhaps next year!

11. steeeeeeeeeed

steeeeeeeeeed New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham Warns Supporters to Sit Down at the Cotta

Never gonna catch me sitting down... the last thing we need if we're trying to boost the atmosphere.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

What you have to remember is that for many many years three parts of Craven cottage was "Standing" areas only and it's very hard now to ask those supporters to "Sit Down" I have always stood and always will, football is not football unless you can cheer, sing and abuse the opposition. who does that sitting down. I for one would welcome back standing areas at stadiums but the law now says you have to be all seated.
    Perhaps clubs could have standing areas and regulate how many tickets are sold for that area so as they don't over crowd?

13. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

and are we all supposed to sit down for the 1 minute silence for the maestro on sat?!?!?!?!