Fulham vs. Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Oct 25, 2018.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

After losing badly to the formerly worst team in the league it is pretty hard to generate some enthusiasm for the next match against a much better team. But like it or not, Bournemouth's high scoring offense is coming to the Cottage on Saturday and they will be looking for an easy opportunity to get within striking distance of the top 5 with Tottenham having to face Manchester City on Monday.

If history is a guide, we should have a good idea of the outcome in the first half. With the exception of Bournemouth's come from behind win against West Ham in August, if the Cherries score in the first half, they win. If they don't score in the first half they get a draw or lose. Given that in recent matches Fulham couldn't stop a beachball with a stiff wind at its back, I don't think Bournemouth is getting through the first half without a goal.

The only positive thing I can find going into this match is that Cairney might be available and that would leave only Bryan out due to injury. Hopefully the team can find a way to not embarrass itself. Getting a point or three would be a lovely bonus.

The match will be available on NBC Gold

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It’s must be near Halloween, because the sense of dread is palpable. Our defense or lack thereof reminds of that Blackpool team (they at least started that season well) that shipped goals for fun. However, ‘Fulhamish’ was coined for this exact situation. COYW!!

encorespanish, nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

With the Jaguars on their yearly visit to London, I can only assume Shad will be in town for this. Which also means it may very well be Slavisa's swan song if things go pear shaped...

nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

One thing I've found funny is that both teams are suffering from the same thing right now: stubborn unwillingness to adapt

Slavisa is trying to play the same game that got them to the Premier League, but it hasn't been working. Meanwhile the Jags have insisted on playing zone coverage defense despite it failing miserably for weeks (the offense can be forgiven for their poor performance due to incredible misfortune with injuries).

Both coaches need to realize that your lovely plans are not just theoretical, they must produce results.

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Cairney's return will help, but the back line simply need to play better. And Mitrovic needs to score. COYW
    Notes from a news source:
    - Fulham captain Tom Cairney is in contention to return, having only played 26 minutes as a substitute since August because of an ankle injury.
    - Left-back Joe Bryan is definitely out with a hamstring injury, but fellow defender Timothy Fosu-Mensah is hoping to be fit after a shoulder problem.
    - Bournemouth full-back Charlie Daniels is nearing a return from a knee injury but will not be involved this weekend.
    - Forward Joshua King could make his 200th English league appearance.
    • Fulham have conceded a league-high 25 goals this season - the second highest tally at this stage of a Premier League season, after Southampton's 26 in 2012-13.
    • The Premier League record after 10 matches is 28, set by Barnsley in 1997-98 and Saints in 2012-13.
    • Fulham could equal their Premier League club record of 14 consecutive matches without a clean sheet on Saturday.
    • They are one win shy of 300 in the top flight.
    • Aleksandar Mitrovic is without a goal in three Premier League games, having scored five in his first six appearances in the division.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45924057

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham: So happy to sign Bettinelli to a new contract!
    Also Fulham: Bettinelli, you're on the bench.

Starting XI:
    Rico
    Fosu-Mensah, Odoi, Ream, LeMarchand
    Kamara, Seri, McDonald
    Sessegnon, Mitrovic, Schurrle

Subs: Bettinelli, Christie, Mawson, Cairney, Anguissa, Johansen, Vietto

Sadly Cairney starts on the bench, but hopefully he'll make a second half appearance. I'm not sure what Kamara is doing there in an apparent midfield position but we'll soon find out!

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Looks like he’s playing wide in the spot Vietto had been occupying with Schurrle in Cairney’s 10 role. Regardless, just show me some defending. One of the bigger surprises for me in the limited viewing I’ve had has been how poor we’ve been at cdm. McDonald has offered far less protection for the back 4 with the step up in play and Anguissa hasn’t provided it either. Hopefully that’s an area we’re looking at in January.

8. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Dang, I thought they were doing pretty well until the second goal. Then it all fell apart in spectacular fashion. Good to see Cairney back out there.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

At what point do you say: "We're practicing defense, exclusively. All week. If we need 3 a days to get it right, that's what we're going to do." Because that's where we're at.

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

That's exactly what Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle said in the coverage after the Leicester match (although instead of 3 a days they said after breakfast, lunch, and tea if needed). They said it is clear that Jokanovic hasn't made it a focus in practice.

encorespanish likes this.
  11. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

It’s gotten to the point that I’m finding it hard to watch games due to the predictability.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

The same could be said for the post-match comments. Joka continues to say that the players must be brave and the he must work to find a solution. First of all, I'm assuming that there is some translation issue because I have no idea what he means about being brave. Second, I'm not sure what he's doing to find a solution aside from throwing out a variety of players in a variety of positions to play the same style and hope that something sticks.

BarryWhite and encorespanish like this.
  13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I took that as Slavisa reciting talking points to the media because he's rather boorish with the them, and was clearly angry with the afternoon.

Not to make everyone more depressed than we already are, a crazy sad thought entered my mind over the weekend: what the heck do Fulham do if Mitro gets hurt or suspended? We literally have zero backup ST options (but do have like 5 attacking wingers and 3 goal keepers!)

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  14. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

The overall objective this season is to avoid relegation. That's definitely achievable, but it's not at all fun watching them right now. I'm just going to hunker down for a while.

BarryWhite likes this.
  15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it's getting so that my weekly Dortmund match is all that's keeping me excited about football.

BarryWhite likes this.