Fulham vs. Blackburn [R] -- T_o_Ms Last Match at The Cottage

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Nov 12, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I know it's a bit early to start these things off but we have two weeks to sort out how we are going to beat a touch Blackburn Team at home.

First I'd like to point out that this is Kevin's (ToM's) last Fulham match at The Cottage so I will be hosting a mini drinkfest in his honor but also to hopefully celebrate a win!

My line up:

Niemi

Omusuzi -- Hughes -- Boca -- Konchesky

Davies -- Smertin -- Dempsey -- Bouazza

Healy -- Kamara

Kuqi to come off the bench

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Isn't Omosuzi still sitting out b/c of his red card?

3. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Not unless he got a two match ban.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

This is going to be a bitter sweet match for me. This will be my 5th match attended in two in a half months and will also be my last match at Craven Cottage for quite some time. Watching a match on the tube is no comparisson to seeing the real thing. I encourage all Fulham supporters to make a pilgrimmage to our Mecca, Craven Cottage, some time in their life. It is simply amazing. The fans, atmosphere, sites, sounds and even smells are all distinct to Fulham. I am going to miss it.

Moving on to the match. I think Fulham will be up against it again in two weeks time. Blackburn are a tough side and are proving to be a consistently difficult side to beat. Fulham has found a revelation in attack in the form of Kuqi. He is a massive striker, wins the ball in the air and holds well to allow players like Healy to run off him. The only problem that I see with that partnership is LS has decided to then put Dempsey on the right wing. Not his natural position and he often times looks lost out there. I would rather Lawrie move Davis to the wing and Dempsey to the middle as Fulham is far more dangerous in attack.

Niemi

Omusuzi -- Hughes -- Boca -- Konchesky

Davies -- Smertin -- Dempsey -- Bouazza

Healy -- Kuqi

Last thought... How is Cook's injury coming along?

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I fully plan on taking ToM's advice and making a trip to the Cottage come next year. Maybe possibly this season if some things work out here at home, but not likely.

I think Blackburn will be tough. There is no doubt that they are a solid squad this season. BUT after seeing the defensive line hold so well against Liverpool, I fully think a win could be possible. We just have to have a good match from our midfield. They seem to be the key to whether we can score or not.

I agree with most everyone's lineups so far. Kuqi should start. And I like ToM's assesment of Dempsey playing in the middle. He could be more of a playmaker in the middle than on the wing. And that is what Clint loves to be.

Baird may or may not start. I'd rather see Omusuzi play since he truely impressed me. I think he can do well at the Cottage a few more seasons until some Top Four team finds him out.

And am I the only one tired of these international breaks? ugh. This will be my last match before heading off to Afghanistan until the new year, so I hope the boys give me a good going away gift in a win!

COYMFW!

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I like the line-ups, though I suspect we'll see Baird at right back.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Baird --- Hughes --- Stefanovic --- Konchesky

Davies --- Davis ---- Smertin ----- Bouazza

Kuqi -------- Dempsey

Lawrie actually has some selection problems come Blackburn. Bouazza should always start on the left if he's not injured. Baird will probably start since he has a lot more experience than Omozusi and he seems to have settled in to the Premier League now. Omozusi might get a spot on the bench over Bocanegra though (unlikely though).

Kuqi is not a long-term solution to any of Fulham's problems, but he was brought in for times like now and starting him against his old team could work out. Either Kamara or Dempsey should start with him. Blackburn is a strong team in the back and Dempsey and Kuqi together might counter balance Samba and Oeijer... or maybe a Kamara and Healy combo starts with Fulham keeping the ball on the ground mostly. Should be interesting to see what Fulham ends up doing.

Dempsey shouldn't start on the wings this game because of Bouazza and Davies being fit. Bouazza needs to play because he oozes talent. So maybe Dempsey gets put up front again where he is somewhat dangerous.

I doubt Dempsey ever plays in the middle. Sanchez just won't play with an attacking midfielder. Fulham is not a sophisticated enough side at the back to get away with having one midfielder playing up the field most of the time. So I think it'll be Davis and Smertin, Davis and Murphy, or Murphy and Smertin.

Kuqi will also have to be subbed out by someone. He can't go a whole game. He could barely move at the end of the Liverpool game, although I understand why Sanchez kept him in the game (to defend against set pieces).

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Sooner or later Davis and Bullard, perhaps. *fingers crossed*

9. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I hate to say it but after finally watching the entire liverpool match fulham will not win against a quality side like blackburn for one reason only. poor tactics. They refuse to keep any sort of posession and the reason teams are scoring on them late is because you can't give the ball up over and over again and expect to keep a clean sheet. It was completely obvious that the coach asked them to boot the ball down field as soon as they got the ball. That kind of tactic will never work in the EPL, maybey the CCC or L1 but not at this level. Our coach is asking his players to run themselves to death and to their credit the team obliges but in the end it will never be enough.

I predict a 3-1 loss at home. wish I was wrong. There is a lot of skill in our players I wish the coach would let them use it..

10. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Fulham REALLY need at least a point from this match.

I see the late-goal curse continuing:

1-1 as Blackburn equalize in the 90th minute.

11. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

To be fair, it looked like they were playing for the draw. They've been playing long ball all year, but never THAT much.

My lineup:
    -------------Niemi---------------
    Baird---Hughes---Stef---Konch
    Davies--Davis--Smertin---Bouazza
    -----Dempsey-----Healy----------

Bench:
    Warner
    Boca
    Murphy
    Kuqi
    Kamara

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Bring your mates...and your camera!

13. Team_of_McBrides

I should have eight friends accompanying me to the final match. The group continues to grow and grow. All potential Fulham supporters.

Looking forward to the match and I hope I can say farewell to Craven Cottage with three points in the bag.

Mike, just let me know where you and everyone will be for pre-match drinks whenever you figure it out. Are you going to attend the Australia vs. Nigeria match this weekend?

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mikey, this IS awfully early for a thread like this and I hesitate to pick a side because so much of what our 11 will look like depends on what happens in matches involving:
    1. The Finns
    2. The Irish
    3. The Welsh
    4. The Americans

Having said that, I think that we can get three points out of this match. Our defense is rounding into form, and if we can have a more coherent attacking strategy, I think we can beat them AND keep a clean sheet. Blackburn are a very good side, but they're not as good as Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool, and we've held our own against those three.

My biggest concern with Blackburn is on either wing. Gamst Peterson is a brilliant left winger who I really enjoy watching, and David Bentley does his best work out wide on the right wing. They've got some useful strikers, but the fact is that there's nobody on that squad who is half the player their manager was, so ... I think we can beat them, and I think that the time is NOW to turn the Cottage into a fortress again.

As for a lineup and a prediction, maybe next Thursday.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I have to say I had my doubts in the beginning ToM, especially with your breakneck pace at posting on our hallowed board, but it sounds as if you are officially Fulham and there is no turning back. You have sacrificed for Club, as all us Fulham Fans do, and let it be none that I consider you my Black & Whites Brother!

Enjoy. Take lots of pictures (so you can post and share here). And chat with you Stateside soon enough. I'm jealous.

Cheers!
    Christian

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

fulhamvt... Blackburn while good is not Liverpool.

Long ball DID work somewhat against Liverpool because it also opened up the counter via the wings. You cant complain about FFC giving the ball up AND about not working it through the mid more.

It took Liverpool until well into the second half to organize enough to keep us out of, rather AWAY FROM, the box.

I dont expect the same tactics. If Blackburn does expect the longball, then we'll beat them for sure.

17. Team_of_McBrides

I am sure that I came off as being a bit arrogant and rather overbearing by the shear number of posts and my liking of the Reds. There is no turning back from being Fulham after attending a match at Craven Cottage and meeting the fantastic supporters that I have. I've even managed to convince others to follow the Whites. It's been brilliant.

Appreciate your approval, even though it was not my intent to win over critics. I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the members of the FUSA tips and advice while I've been in England. If I had the opportunity to buy everyone a round I would do so.

Hope all get to a television or to the Cottage to enjoy the match. Let do our part to make Craven Cottage a fortress.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, their midfield is pants; worse than Fulham's probably. So Fulham has a chance I think... but Blackburn is definitely a better team on the whole I think. McCarthy and Santa Cruz are quality, as are their wingers like you said. Their backfour is pretty solid as well... and then there is Brad Friedel who has been a monster this year.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I've got a bad taste in my mouth from all of these late match meltdowns and I think it's time we put an end to that. Fulham 2-0 with a last 10 minute goal of our own. Healy '21st and Bocanegra in the '85th. COYFW!!!!

20. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

2-1 to Fulham

Goals - Healy (17') and Smertin (32')