Fulham v WestHam Pre, Post[R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Sep 13, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Fulham performance at Newcs versus West Ham's results

This is a pivotal match for Cookie & Co. If the match is entertaining and even and Fulham just pull out a point, it bodes well for the club.

I have a view for the long range success of the club and that is based on attendances and value for money. If Fulham does as expected and continues sparkling play while improving its finishing, you will see attendances climb!

This is partially due to the unease of some camp-follower fans who, already, are becoming bored with "super-Team Chelskumski's".
    AND
    The away fan attendance and enthusiasm at the Cottage will act to prime the pump, as it were.

Remember nothing breeds success like success and that brings confidence which brings MORE success.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Fulham v WestHam Pre[]

I tell you what, West Ham United looked extremely solid last night against Aston Villa. They smoked them 4-0 at Upton Park. They are young and they have 4 or 5 players that are dangerous. Marlon Harewood scored a hat trick last night, Nigel Reo-Coker is solid in the midfield and directs the team well, Yossi Benayoun is a strong attacking midfielder and their defense with Anton Ferdinand and former Fulham target Daniel Gabiddon has been solid.

If people are expecting us to cake walk by West Ham it is not going to happen. We will need to continue to play well to get a good result at home.

I agree that if results continue to go our way and Fulham plays and exciting, entertaining brand of football that people will flock to the Cottage. I hope that Saturday we continue our positive momentum and get three points.

I think this will be a very up and down entertaining match. I can't wait until Saturday at 4PM Chicago time to watch this.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

West Ham's defense is not that good. Villa had alot of chances to score just couldnt finish. This match should be a win for Fulham. Really this is a must win match for Fulham. Our next 4 games are very very tough. Tottenham(A) Bucs(H) Charlton(A) Liverpool(H). Fulham will win 3-0.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Fulham v WestHam Pre[]

Keep in mind their keeper is no slouch(sp?)

West Ham has been in the premeirship before, I'd expect them to make a good run if indeed they keep developing younger players during transfer times...

I suppose if they can avoid relegation this season thats a huge success.

Fulhams experience will have to win this game. I'm sure with time of possession is of terrible importance. If we see play like we saw last week, with all the savvy passing and midfield play, we can expect a battle.

I think Jensen and Steed are key, scoring obviously the same, and whom ever is playing half up with McBride must put pressure on the defense...

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not think West Ham's defense is that great, but to say they are not good is inaccurate. The Hammers have given up only 3 goals in 4 matches played so far.

What I think people do not see about West Ham is the fact thay they play well together as a unit. A lot of these players like Ferdinand, Reo-Coker, Harewood and Etherington have been playing together for a decent period of time. This is a strong team. Not a bunch of individuals. Alan Pardew has them playing well right now.

It is a big game for Fulham and it is important that we come out and get a good result. I think a 3-0 scoreline as predicted by FFC24 is a bit ambitious, but I would obviously be happy with it. My prediction will come later in the week.

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

While I don't think West Ham is a pushover, I think this s good time to play them, when we're playing very well ourselves. Hopefully, West Ham will be overconfident!

I'll pick 1-0 for the score.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I watched the West Ham match last night and 3 of their 4 goals came down to poor defending/goal keeping. Actually, all of Harewoods goals came down to a bit of luck...defender slipping, keeper missing a clearance and the flick above the keeper came down to bad communication between the keeper and defender.

I think West Ham will be overconfident and I'm hoping shut them down. Diop will be key as West Ham controlled the midfield. As we all know, Diop is no pushover.

8. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

it'd be really nice to bust out of this one goal per game slump we've been in.

If you can open up a 2 goal lead it opens up the field and makes other teams vulnerable, which is where we saw the team put in 4 5 and 6 goals in a row last year. Although I'm by no means predicting this, it would be nice. We seemed on the verge of that during the Newcastle match.

9. mrsjux

mrsjux New Member

I did not watch the West Ham game the other day, and I will disclaim that I am by no means an expert as a relatively new supporter.
    It seems like Fulham has been building some momentum since the opener-each game gets a bit more exciting to watch. I've particularly enjoyed watching Jensen lately. So, while the match will by no means be a walk in the park, I'm looking forward to some fun play, and I'll go with a 2-0 score, in light of the building momentum theory (patent pending)

10. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Every time Fulham got some momentum going last year they would lose it with a bad performance against a team they should have beaten, or at least gotten a result against This is a big opportunity to break out of that pattern and show this year will be different. Here's hoping that Boa, Malbranque, C. Jensen and Diop can all stay healthy and off suspension unlike last year - it's making a huge difference to have that solid midfield together. Nobody talks much about N. Jensen but that's looking like a great acquisition.

11. americanmike

I'll note Mrs. Jux's post in this reply but she is right, C. Jensen has been really exciting to watch and he is now showing the skill that Charlton fans have been raving about. I find it funny but he was out for so long last year that its like we signed a whole new player this summer.

This match will be a tough one but I think we will pull out a win. C. Jensen is coming closer and closer to scoring in the last couple, as has Diop.

I really really really want HH in the starting line up instead of Radz. Just to see what he can do.

12. ob

ob New Member

I agree with the momentum argument. We had a great result with Everton, and a decent result at Newcastle, and relying on past form, these are much bigger teams than West Ham. They're on form at the moment, but I think that we're just begining to get some steam up and the squad is begining to gel...

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am in favor of benching Radz, but I am wanting to see Collins John instead of Helguson. I think a CJ/McBride partnership would work well. Although I do think Helguson needs to get in the game as a sub and get some chances.

However, I am not so sure a Helguson/McBride pairing would work. Both seem to be good target men, but we also need some finesse and quickness to link up with the target man. Not sure if either can play that other role. It might be worth a shot though to see how it pans out.

14. pettyfog

Hah..REFRESHING.. southren {sic} roots in Chicago!

Trans:
    "Ah'll ta-ill yuh WHUT..." Dang I like American vernacular more the older I get. Must be the Foxworthy influence.

The Redneck Mark Twain!
    - - - - - - - -- - - -
    CJ and McBride NEED to practice practice, practice together...I sure hope Cookie's got the same Idea.

15. mcgregor

mcgregor New Member

west ham will arrive full of confidence but our boys should also be on the up after a good performance again the toon

they will be backed to the hilt by a full putney end crowd however they still cannot bear to sing their manager's name and will turn if things do not go their way

this is truly a must win game for us - time to turn some promising performances into a decent win - given our away form since we joined the premiership we will go down if we start losing home games to mid to bottom teams like the hammers

As for john vs radinski - until john develops his link play he doesn't offer enough for the team. I think he is a better finisher but it doesn't count for his lack of ability/will to provide for team mates

It looks in any event that cookie has pigeon holed mcbride or HH, radinski or john

for what it is worth I thing Rads is better when ball is played ahead of him when he is running towards goal and he suits the counter attack of an away game better - particularly with Jensen hitting form to slip those balls through

16. martin

martin New Member

I don't think WHU's win over Villa means much. Villa were a disorganized squad that featured two players (Bouma & Milner) who had only been there for a few days and two (Berger & Baros) who were making their second appearances of the season. They got behind and just fell apart. They were mentally already on the bus for the 4th goal, maybe even the 3rd.

I'd like to see the same lineup with CJ in for Radz. At least give CJ or HH more than a token appearance at the end.

What's the word on the injuries? Is anybody ready for a comeback? Maybe Goma or Liam?

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think both Goma and Rosenior are still out. I believe they are both close and maybe they will be ready this weekend, but I would guess either Tottenham or Manchester United are when the two will return to action.

18. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'm not sure if I agree with McGregor here. I mean I think we need the energy. The Fulham midfield is spectacular at keeping the ball in front of them. So i think I'll start CJ, put him on a 45 minute assignment make him really run, sub Radz... save Helguson for Mcbrides sub and keep a sub handy for injuries...

The Radz thing is strange to me, he seems like a touch guy. Almost like the announcers avoid saying his name... he rarely seems a factor.

I say CJ but default because he always seems to find the ball.

Then again it only takes a game for me to eat my words.

19. pettyfog

I'm takin a flier at it:

Fulham 2-1 Boa and CJ... McBride one assist, Claus the other

20. americanmike

I honestly think that if our midfield controls the match then we will win, no doubt. If not then it will be a hard fought battle for a point.

Our boys are progressively getting better where as West Ham have been up and down a bit. Lets home we catch them down and we put in a solid performance. All three points from this match will do us a world of good both for momentum and in the standings.

Up front...I want to see McBride and HH but I don't think Cookie will experiment with that just yet. I see a McBride/Radz or McBride/John for the start.