Fulham v. Villa

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 28, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Saturday morning at either 0900 or 1000 Eastern, on ESPN2HD, according to their schedule [which said 0900 eastern, while SOCCERNET says 1000 eastern]

What a WONDERFUL time to have Konchesky and Paintsil out injured. Milner and Young must be licking their chops. One thing's for certain, running out the same back four as we did against Spurs will mean that our FBs wont venture much into Villa's half, which means that Young and Milner wont have to defend, which means we're fekked. Roy had two healthy FBs available on Tuesday and chose to play neither. I'm not sure what this means, but here's what I'd like to see SOMETIME Saturday morning:

Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Kallio; Duff, Dicaghoi, Murphy, Davies; Gera; Zamora.

Bench: Zuber; Baird, Smalling, Greening, Nevland, Kamara, Elm.

Yes, the good old 4-4-1-1 with Kelly [who never looks as bad to me as he apparently looks to everybody else] and Kallio [who can put some muscle on Ashley Young] at FB. Bring on Smalling, Kamara, and either Nevland or Elm at 60 or 75 minutes.

Prediction? If we have Johnny Pants in the lineup, I think we win this 1-0. Without Pants, PK, and Demps, I predict Fulham 1 Aston Villa 3.

And the beatdown goes on.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. I agree with the lineup but I'd put in Baird over Dicaghoi. He and Murphy have a better understanding and we won't need the South African's physical presence as much against Villa's midfield.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh, I could tell you why, the ocean's near the shore. I could think of things I never thunk before, and then I'd sit, and think some more. I would not be just a nothin' my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain. I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry, if Fulham only coulda win.

COYW!

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Fulham v. Villa

Dammit Nev, you took the exact words out of my mouth

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

More bad news: Villa hasn't scored in the league since mid december.

So on that note and recent trend I'm expecting them to score at least 3 goals with someone random like Steve Sidwell or Nicky Shorey getting one of them.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I have no idea what to expect come Saturday other than I will be parked in front of my television and putting my $0.02 worth in on the the messageboard while hoping for a Fulham win.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm wondering how long it'll be before Pettyfog lists ESPN2HD as the network. Coverage begins at 0955 CST

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That may have been a typo, but it's 8:55 CST, not 9:55.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

that was a typo

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I have figured out the cause of our recent run of losses -- me. I saw every game this month except the Accrington Stanley match. You can do the math for yourself.

I'll have to catch this one on DVR, but here's a quick and heartfelt

COYW

for the Ws from my little corner of Ohio.

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Random stuff from Bobby McMahon on tonight's Fox Soccer Report regarding our woes as of late:

We only played 45 games all of last season with a squad with not a lot of depth, although it didn't matter as much as we were pretty healthy most of the season.

We have already played 37 games this season (were only at 25 games at this point last season) with a team that again doesn't have a lot of depth (maybe slightly more this season compared to last season), but we have been hit with injuries this year.

Fatigue starting to set in?

12. Kathy

Kathy New Member

So pumped about great game time + broadcast + chat = Good times! Can't wait to see more of Kamara's comeback play and hoping for the very best from the Whites despite injuries. COYW!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

this morning's game day squads:

Fulham: Schwarzer, Hughes, Smalling, Hangeland, Kelly, Duff, Murphy, Baird, Davies, Zamora, Nevland.
    Subs: Zuberbuhler, Gera, Riise, Stoor, Greening, Dikgacoi, Elm.
    Aston Villa: Friedel, Cuellar, Collins, Dunne, Luke Young, Downing, Milner, Petrov, Ashley Young, Heskey, Agbonlahor.
    Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Delfouneso, Davies, Delph, Shorey, Beye.
    Referee: Lee Mason (Lancashire)

COYW!

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I wanna throw up.

15. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

ZAMORA Your a Fcuking Joke!!!!

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Jeez Brede -- could you have made worse decisions?

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

As predicted, Villa score 2 after not scoring for a month.

And they also win at the Cottage for the first time since the EPL formed.

I've just about had it.

18. articbob

articbob Member

This shite will pass. This month is over and we are going to get Stefano Okaka. We are still in the FA Cup and UEFA and we will get healthy again.

But let's be honest. 7 points from Relegation is not good. Woy knows what needs to be done.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Simply impotent whilst playing stupidly. For the past 3 or so matches, Fulham repeatedly committed the same mistakes (take your pick of players - there's plenty of rubbish to go around).

Did Okaka pass his medical?

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think y'all are being a bit harsh. We didn't play badly, and created more scoring opportunities than we have in many of the games we've won. We had a lapse of concentration for five minutes combined with the fact that Villa's back four played a very very good game.

I thought Murphy, especially, stepped up his game compared to the last few matches and Smalling put in another solid performance. It was unfortunate about Davies's injury, but Gera looked better on the flank than I've seen from him in quite a while. Both Riise and Elm didn't look out of their league, as they did in their last appearance; they looked like useful bench players.

No team in any league is going to look as good with both starting fullbacks, one of their two starting strikers, and their best attacking midfielder all out injured.