Fulham v. Sunderland [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Steve, buy your next scarf on ebay.

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Nevzter, yeo the bike ride was almost the whole way was on 1, we detoured to Solvang one day. 240 of us raised $1.1M for the arthtitis foundation. 8 days on 1. It was glorious. Dude, I lived in Belmont before moving up here to the Sun. We were neighbors for christ sake.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good lad, RR. That's the way ya do it!

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I still can't decide if i want to do chatroom or wait on the result and watch it. chances are, knowing me, i'll be in chat room.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

No Etuhu and Andranik, which shouldn't concern us.

See all in the chat zone.

6. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Lineup: See HatterDon's projected lineup.

Score: 2-1 (Could go either way)

Attitude: Cautiously optimistic.

I would comment on how I think the central midfield pairing needs to be shaken up, but I don't think it's going to happen...

If Healy get in this one, he'll be aiming to score.

Cisse's pace will be a challenge and the Fulham backline must address this early on.

Simon Davies is overdue. I expect a good showing from the Wales International...

7. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Only one comment.. American or not, if Clint Dempsey doesn't start, after the quality and spark he brought to a sometimes "toothless" midfield, it will be a travesty.
    Going to paintball with my son, so I'll be watching the replay. COYW

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham is going to win, I think.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'll be catching the replay, so no chatroom for me.

No lineup prediction, other than Deuce needs to be on the field from the start.

COYW!!!!!

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So I see we've trotted out the same ol', same ol' except AJ's back. Will watch tonight and see how we fare. Disappointed that Clint didn't get a start after his last outting, but hopefully he'll see the pitch at some point. Looking forward to seeing what kind of atmosphere we have today with The Maestro statue unveiling.

11. andyns

andyns New Member

So, is this the point where we just admit, we suck?

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Pretty much, andyns. Piss on watching the replay of another goalless performance. I'm off to the red bull soapbox derby - it's sure to be a better time.
    COYW

13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

our offense needs to get sorted out, stat.

we're a poor man's arsenal, trying to get too fancy and too technical in the box.

more thoughts.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Schwarzer, both posts and the crossbar played stellar defense today.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I don't think today was a total loss.

We had good midfield possession, and F5 looked dangerous on a couple of runs today. Of course, we couldn't get him the ball, but that will change over time.

Bully confounded me with his free kick slump. And at least two horrible giveaways. Still, I like someone who will have one from 25-30 yards out.

Schwartzer was incredibly lucky and pretty good today. Has anyone ever seen a free kick like that triple doinker?

I don't think Woy will be fired by Xmas -- that is the mark of a panic move.

One thing -- when Richardson knocked in that free kick, I cursed and went to tuck my son into bed. I come back 5 minutes later and see that the score is still 0-0 and the FSC announcer said somehting about the goal being called back. Can anyone else help me out?

No cartwheels from me, but no panic either. At least not yet.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

It's still too early to know how this team will come together. I see good signs or improved play versus last year. Frankly, Sunderland seems to be improved as well.

Roy will get these lads winning again. Have faith. :)

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The announcers were not quite sure, but claim the word from the field was that the ref told the two Sunderland guys on the wall to stop backing into the wall prior to the kick. If you remember, the ref was talking to the wall for a good 10-15 seconds before the kick.

Right after the kick, the ref blew the whistle calling a foul on one of those two guys for backing into the wall.

It was confusing as the TV camera stuck with Richardson celebrating for 10 seconds while Fulham immediately played the ball back into play.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

A point... yay!!! Dance, dance, dance!!! Dance, dance, dance!!!

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hats off to the maestro. His spirit must have won FFC the point yesterday because god knows they didnt earn it.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Finally watched the end of this a little after 0100 on Sunday. I went to bed laughing. Although I thought the match was pretty much 50-50 all 'round, and that a draw was probably fair in terms of effort, I have NEVER seen a team I support be so incredibly lucky. And, no. NOBODY has ever seen one shot hit woodwork THREE times.

Having said that, I thought our attack looked as good as it has for a long time. We had good width and movement -- especially on the right. I thought that AJ was the best he's been in the Black and White. Given even League One quality finishing by Gera and Dempsey we'd have stolen all three.

I think the side is rounding into form. There are points to come and I think we'll get our share. If I thought Roy wanted to listen to some one older and ... uh older, I'd ask him to make Bullard share free kick responsibilities. Give the corners to Davies. Give the deep wing kicks to Murphy. We work too hard to earn these positions to give them away with knee-high change-ups that the first defender kicks away. Keep the close in screamers for Bullard, if only to put the wind up the opponents.

There were plusses a'plenty -- Bullard looked dangerous in the run of play. With the exception of a 45 second stretch of insanity, Hangeland was brilliant. The Big Aussie had two gorgeous fingertip saves. Paintsil had a good match.

OTOH we had nobody on our side near as creative and dangerous as Richardson.