FULHAM v. Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Mar 30, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think it is safe to say that this is the most important match of the season up til now...

I'm expecting a 4-5-1...but who wouldn't?!

Also, to you NY'ers out there, I will not be able to make this match in the city, as I am leaving for London tomorrow and will be attending this match in person.

COYW's

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Mike, have a blast in SW6. Cheer the Whites on for all of us Yanks!

Surprisingly, I am thinking that Cookie is gonna go with a 4-4-2 on Sunday. It would be great to see both Liam and Volzy in there at the same time. Liam at right winger and Volzy in at right back.

Here is who I would like to see in the lineup:

Eddy
    Volz Knight Goma C-Los
    Liam Steed Claus Boa
    McBride Cole

Subs:
    John
    Clark
    Leggy
    Rehman
    Crossley

We absolutely have to win this match on Sunday! It will ease relegation fears and give them team the confidence needed for a tough April.

3. RDG

RDG Member

Have fun this weekend, Mike!

Anyone in NYC feel like meeting up? I figure on Baker St. or McGee's for brunch. I doubt either place will know what they are showing until probably about ten minutes before KO.

It would be nice to go against type and go with McBride and Cole up front, but I've this funny feeling that it will be same-old, same-old, with McBride coming in at the 87th minute, Rehman starting with Volz on the bench, and Clark starting, with Papa out. I can only hope for a different result.

COYW!

4. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

I honestly never know what to expect from Portsmouth, I think Fulham can win, they need to play with intensity though from the start of the match. Would be great to see Steed do something too, he has had a quiet season so far.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In light of CC's comments about moving Steed outside and giving Papa the middle, {which i agree is where they SHOULD be} will Steed pout?

The team morale is obviously low and this cant help it... just another instance, by perception, of Cookie sending players out of position.

As to McBride starting ...or even playing... Cookie will be thinking, if McBride isnt playing for his US team, Arena must not think much of him.

But we know WHY Arena isnt playing McBride (Ed Johnson aside)!

Because he's sitting the bench for Fulham... if he's even selected.

Side question: Does what's happened to McBride figure into Donovan's decision to quit Leverkeusen?

6. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

Re: RE: FULHAM v. Portsmouth

Very unterstesting point Petty. I think Coleman must give McBride a chance. If you look at the past games in which he has played he always provides a spark for the team. If you notice he seems to be the only player who does not complain that he is not getting playing time. I hate when people use the reason he shouldn't complain is because he is making lots of money. So are all the other players and loads of them complain about not playing. :D

7. americanmike

McBride is the new Sava!!! As unfortunate as that is.

Anywho, I'm leaving very very soon...look for me in the Hammy End, I should have a cow bell and a kazoo!!!

8. americanmike

This offer is for anyone stateside!!!

If you would like me to pick up anything from the club shop, please send me an email - mike@fulhamusa.com. I will do my very best to get what you require and feel free to pass it on.

Cheers,
    Mike

9. RDG

RDG Member

HOWZABOUT -- THREE POINTS?!!!

COYSW!!

10. Krista

Krista New Member

I don't know if I'm going to be in town or in Siberia, errr, Westchester. Yes, the fire still has me exiled. If all else fails, I'll try Baker Street?

11. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

RE: Re: RE: FULHAM v. Portsmouth

I would be up fpr Baker Street.

12. RDG

RDG Member

RE: Re: RE: FULHAM v. Portsmouth

Ok, Baker St. it is, then! I did check their website and they allegedly will show it. As there is no "egg chasing" this weekend, it shouldn't be too bad. If not, well, at least I'll be taping the match, so I can send 'round the tape. Or we can grab a cab and race around Manhattan again! :D

COYSW!

(For some reason, I am actually optimistic about this match!!)

13. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

portsmouth

Stating the obvious this is the most important game for Fulham in a very long time, CC admitted as much in his interview on the UK web site. He also promised something different, and it was not a win (joke) he seemed to suggest a totally new line up, and committed the team to go forward, which against a team we have to beat will be a good idea. The results today apart from one, and that was Blackburn who got a great result at Old trafford, you just have to take your hat off to them for that, went our way, Palace lost at home when you thought they might get a result against Midd, Southampton got done but our worst enemies, and now we have to see if Everton can beat west brom away from home, I think Everton will have their work cut out for them against a resurgent Baggies team. But all of that will mean nothing if Fulham does not come out and do the job tomorrow, we must win, but if we go down lets at least go down fighting and trying to take the game to them instead of sitting back on our own patch and letting them dicatate the game to us. This team as not scored for weeks Sunday will be a grat time to come out of the slump and make up for lost time, Portsmouth are a team for the taking, lets hope Fulham are in the mood to be the takees.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: portsmouth

Well said John. I could not agree with you more. As long as we go out there and play hard, committed football, I will be happy. If we do that, I really think we will get a win. I am pleased to see that Cookie is going to change things up a bit. In all honesty......it's about time.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day for all Fulham fans when we win! 2-0 for the Whites tomorrow! Attacking football will return to the Cottage from Fulham!

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, we got the win that we needed today. The defense was a bit shaky in the first half, buit thanks to Edwin Van Der Sar, we were only down a goal. Malbranque's penalty was disappointing as it would have levelled things up at halftime.

After Fulham sustained a barrage of shots from Pompey to start the second half, Cookie let the players do what they do best, attack. It was a solid effort from Boa Morte, Cole, McBride and Radzinksi. McBride's goal in the 79th minute or so was a great shot. Boa's equaliser in the second half was a great shot to the far side.

The team had their backs against the wall at home, down at halftime, but they found a way to win. The crowd sounded great on TV and it seemed like a great atmosphere.

I am really proud of the team and everyone else should be too! On to Bolton next week for three points.

16. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

Our next three games are very winnable specially if we play the way we did today in the secind half.. I think we should get 5 points from them at the very least.

17. martin

martin New Member

Great result today. That lets us breathe a bit easier. Away to Bolton will be a real test. If the lads can manage to play well for the full match, they could take the points. One good half and one bad won't get it done.

18. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

you're right, but up until the FA cup-tie we had their number. the wanderers played liverpool tough on sat. let's hope we can get a result!

19. americanmike

I just got back from London and I need some sleep but I would like to say that this match was absolutely amazing to attend. The weather was perfect (t-shirt and jeans for the match), the singing was non-stop (much respect to the STAND UP CREW) and 3 unanswered goals in the second half to give us 3 much needed points!!

A MOST PERFECT FULHAM DAY.

20. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Apologies for missing Baker Street and generally being very quiet but have been swamped at work and then was away in FL and didn't get back to NJ until late Saturday night. Was looking forward to watching the game on FSC until my sister phoned from Ireland to congratulate me on the score...about five minutes before FSC showed it. Oh well, it was cool to watch it knowing the result was going to be positive for a change. By the way, apparently we played 4-4-2 in the first half but it didn't look like that to me until BmcB came on...did I miss anything?