Fulham v Everton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamvt, Apr 3, 2007.

1. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I guess I'll start it, After watching everton last night I would be thrilled with a draw in this one. Mostly I just want to see the team come out and play with great intensity like they did against pompey and hope for the best. may try and surprise them early. Come on coleman lets not shell up in a 4-5-1 and just wait for the inevitable goal. who knows we are do an away win aren't we.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think a draw is possible. It all depends on how Cookie uses his squad. There's a match on Monday as well, and he might figure that McBride, Christanval, and Radz probably can't do 180 minutes.

In the Everton-Villa match, the Blue defense left Howard naked back there three or four times early in the second half. Only Yobo played consistently in their back four, and he's getting a little long in the tooth. The truth of Everton is that Moyes seems to want to win all their matches 1-0. They don't score and their defense is very skittish because they know that giving up a goal generally means two points lost.

I really wanted them to beat Villa yesterday -- both to keep Villa below us and to make them a little complacent. Didn't work out. So, we need to watch Arteta -- as classy a player as there is in the Prem -- and we need to watch AJ. We're lucky that Cahill is injured, because he can kill you all by himself. But their defense is vulnerable.

I'd start Montella alongside Brian against them. They have no answer for Montella's quickness an positional sense, and Brian loves scoring against American goalies. I like us drawing 1-1, and then going on to make it a four-point Spring Bank Holiday weekend!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham has two extra days of rest for this match compared to Everton. That might play a role in the match. While most will be predicting Fulham to lose, they might surprise some people.

Judging from the past few seasons, whenever Fulham is close to being pulled back into the relegation battle, the team usually responds and gets a win. It will be tough at Goodison Park against Everton, but anything is possible.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

My worry is that Coleman will keep one eye on Everton and the other one on Manchester City thus resting a key player or two in order to be ready for the home match on Monday.

I heard Montella has a slight knock so I won't be surprised to see him rested for atleast the first half. With a team like Everton, I'd like to see McBride and Collins John on the pitch...but only if John runs around like he did vs. Pompey.

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

And puts in his next open goal chance!

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Cookie needs to send a positive message to the team by playing 2 upfront (loved to see Montella start, but if he's dinged John deserves another runout). Just want the fellas to play positively w/energy and heart (sounds like we need a Volzy sighting).

To be honest, I'm a little worried about the team's morale, if they can get a result at Goodisen that will give them a huge boost towards Monday, which is beyond a big game when you take a look at the fixture list.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I also thought John played hard for once last week. If he'll do that...why not give him a go if Montella is unavailable. I want to see us play a 4-4-2 and go for a win regardless of being on the road

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we seem to be of a mind. So, if Montella does indeed have a knock -- missing sitters can pull a muscle some times -- here's my starting lineup v. the Toffees

SH Niemi

Volzy Christanval Boca 3U

Routledge -- Smertin -- Brown -- Davies

BMB -- [and I can't believe I'm saying this, but you guys convinced me] CJ

Bench: Lastuvka, Liam, Deuce, Montella, Papa

And since the only team I hate as much as the Scum is Everton, LET'S GET SOME TOFFEES!

9. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Dear Fulham,

I would like a win for my birthday. Given that this is Everton, a team you actually beat earlier this season, I think it's possible. Pretend you're at home and remember that the guys in blue are men, not machines. They can be broken down.

Sincerely,
    Optimizer

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

hilarious!!!

11. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I'm not sure if you guys watched the post match report from the Pompey game but Cookie didn't seem like he was very optimistic for this match. I don't think we have won there in a long long long time. On that note:

We win 2-1 going with HatterDons line up. I couldn't have put it better.

In the Everton vs Villa game Arteta seamed to be a real threat. Who ever is marking him better not give him an inch because he will take a mile. I hope Coleman is reviewing the 2nd half of that game because Villa had them on their heels. That is what it will take to get anything from this game.

COYW!

12. delos100

delos100 New Member

I am going to go with coleman does the unthinkable and starts BMB, HH and HH scores after being left for dead by the Fulhum faithfull.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well we've got real reason to look over our shoulder now and morale can't be good. It would be Fulhamish for us to come up with a win but I have trouble envisioning it.

As sick as I am of draws, I have to concede I'd be quite content with nil-nil in this one.

14. psand22

psand22 Member

Yes, it's time for us to step up and play a quality game. It's been a bit of struggle out there lately and playing Everton on the road won't be easy, with AJ and Arteta on the attack....plus Howard in the goal. Let's hope we come out attacking. The home team has won every game, since we've come back up. Let's hope we break the trend and win one, but I see the usual 1-1 draw.

Niemi
    Liam - Christ - Boca - Que
    Rout - Smertin - Brown - Davies
    McBride - Montella

15. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

Nice lineup psand22. I was kinda confused as to why Rout would not have gotten the start against portsmouth coming off the U21 game where he scored....i would think that he would have had a boat load of confidence and maybe could have rode that into the game against portsmouth. Howard is good but he can be beat. Maybe the defense has gotten some good rest and had some good practices and will play better this week.....maybe a 1-0 win???? Maybe i am being a glass half full guy. LETS BE FREAKIN POSITIVE PEOPLE....WILL THIS TEAM TO A ROAD WIN......COYW!!!!!

(i know rah rah rah....blah blah blah) :lol:

16. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Que and Montella are both out for the match. Yikes.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Okay...how about

Niemi
    Volz...Val...Boca...Rosenior
    Rout...Smertin...Brown...Radz
    CJ....BMB

I want to go for a win, not a defensive draw...I'm tired of seeing Fulham settle for a point, it's so disheartening.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

good lineup...I'd like to give CJ a run out because for the first time ever I felt like he ran hard against Pompeyl...I think he's due for a goal...so reward him for hard work with a start. I think it's time Routledge gets a go from the start...and I'd like to see Davies off the bench fresh late in the match.

19. Buchanan

Buchanan New Member

Screw a draw. Im sick of draws. Dont be happy with a draw we are going nowhere. I want a win.

20. andyns

andyns New Member

Like everyone else here, I want to see positive tactics and approach. Especially when we travel, we don't even try to win. And please, let's see VOLZ!