Fulham V. Citeh

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 7, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was one of the few that made it all the way up to Everton and got back at 3am only to think that our performance really wasn't half bad and it was our defence that let us down. We had 17 chances on goal...and I didn't realize how unlucky we were until I got home and realized Brian had it the post with one of his early attempts. Ugh.

Just so you all know, the Fulham fans at Everton were brilliant and sung for 90 minutes. The Fulham 'yoof' (youth) are still supporting the team like they are the champions and long may it continue.

This really is our MUST WIN match of the season and with all the yanks going...I hope Cookie and Fulham pull one out for all of the Fulham fans.

My line up (with some assumptions):

Niemi

Volz -- Christenval -- Boca -- Liam

Radz -- Smertin -- Brown -- Routledge

Montella -- HH

Bench:
    Brian
    Dempsey
    Lastuvka
    Knight
    Davies

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

----------Nemi-------------
    volZZZ-Val--Boca---Liam
    ----Brown----Smertin--
    Dempsey----------Radz
    ---Montella----HH------

Bench
    Runstrom
    McBride
    Davies
    Routledge
    Lustuvka

Win or die! Anything but a win here and Coleman's got to go; so come on boys go get a win!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I guess it it typical of Fulham to put the fear of God into its' supporters by being dragged closer and closer to the relegation battle each and every week. West Ham winning and Charlton drawing makes it more and more interesting.

Monday's match is an absolute must win. It is imperative the team plays with a sense of urgency. With matches remaining against Arsenal and Liverpool, it is important that Fulham gets maximum points Monday and separates themselves from the drop.

I simply want to see eleven players on the pitch committed to the cause and out there to win. That is all I ask for. If that is the case, I think Fulham will win.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I did not see any lack of committment or effort in either the Portsmouth match or the Everton match. I'm not really sure why we the Everton match was considered a MUST win -- considering their table position and the fact that we were away -- but if two more wins was all we needed before we played Pompey, then two more wins is all we need now.

I like 'fog's 3-1 scoreline.

COYW!

5. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I did see maximum effort on friday, but some how things did not go our way. To me it came down to one man Zat Knight. When he's in we loose and seem to give up horrible goals. I am in agreement it's must win monday. As long as knight does not play we should be fine, my only question is anyone healthy enought to partner Boca in the middle of defense other than knight? COYW's!

6. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Monday

Welcome to the quagmire known as the relgation dog fight, any long time Fulham fan knows this end of the season only too well.
    It looked for a long part of the season that we were going to be spared the usual annual nail biting, until we are safe, but this year we have slipped ever so closer, and as the tems below us fighting for their lives have improved we on the other hand have got progressively worse,
    until now On Easter Monday we face a crucial 6 pointer against a team only a few weeks ago looked increasingly more likely for the drop than us, but now we go into this one as probably underdogs.
    I would like to make a point about the team, I read this message board and the FulhamFc message board, and as far as I can tell nobody as pointed out what i see as a major dilemma for CC and one of the reasons we are now in the quagmire, our midfield, I know they work hard without being real quality premier players, lets be honest they are all pretty much rejects from the higher clubs, but do you know when one of our Midfielders last hit the back of the net, well it was Volz on Dec 30th against Chelsea, and his really a defender, do you know who our top goalscrorer is from midfield in the league, if you count Volz as a defender the answer is and this might surprise you like it did me, a tie between Jensen, (surprising) with 2 but even more surprising and damming, Bullard (2) and when he did last play!!!!!!!! Diop, Brown, Davies, Smertin, Routledge have never scored, compare that to most other teams and you have one major reason why we are where we are now.
    Tomorrow will not be pretty and a loss will probably mean the drop, a draw, and we might survive, a win and we probably are safe for another year, as those teams below us have to play one another a few times, and some of them have to play the big guys, but lets hope we do it and our midfield comes alive with some goals.

7. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: Monday

John and Radz are out with injuries.

8. McBridefan1

McBridefan1 New Member

Can't say I am sad about either but it looks like McBride will be partnered with HH again, and possibly a run out for Dempsey? Let's hope.

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Our team:

Niemi

Volz - PC - Boca - Liam

Wayne - MB - Smertin - Davies

HH - Brian

(subs: Radz, Monty, Deuce, Zat, Lastuvka)

P.S. skipping class to watch this one, because... well, Fulham > psychology.

10. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Watching the first part of game. Have to go the Airport in a few minutes. Midfield - esp Routledge -is playing well - winning balls and sending in some nice crosses. McBride and Helguson are standing around doing nothing so midfield work going for nothing.l If there are pigeons around the forward will be wiping the c**p off their shirts. Defensive lapse gave a goal to Barton.

11. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Watching the first part of game. Have to go the Airport in a few minutes. Midfield - esp Routledge -is playing well - winning balls and sending in some nice crosses. McBride and Helguson are standing around doing nothing so midfield work going for nothing.l If there are pigeons around the forward will be wiping the c**p off their shirts. Defensive lapse gave a goal to Barton.

12. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Beasley puts City up by two goals. Helguson just missed with a header, so we're still down 0-2.

Man City very nearly got a third goal from a header before Niemi made a superb save.

13. McBridefan1

McBridefan1 New Member

tough game let's hope they turn it around here in the second half.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Is it too early for tears? I've been walking around the office with a feeling of being kicked in the stomach--is there a remedy for this?

15. psand22

psand22 Member

Damn...another blow out loss. Just more of the same poor play and you're right ATL John. We need someone in the MF who can cause some trouble with and without the ball and actually put it on target. How many balls did we shank out of bounds or kick staight to the goalie?

We have 5 games left and we control our own destiny. Let's put this one behind us and get ready for Reading.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is getting way too close for any kind of comfort right now. I have not seen the match as I have been at work, but to hear and read we lost 3-1 on our home field against Manchester City is ridiculous.

I was looking at the fixtures for the teams around Fulham in or near the relegation zone and there are more winnable games for the likes of Sheffield United, West Ham and Charlton than there are for Fulham. I am getting very, very nervous.

17. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

what will be our team in the championship? (admit the inevitable)

Warner
    Volz Pearce Zakuani Omozusi
    Radz Brown MattyCollins Elrich
    Runstrom McBride

manager: ?

I'd be confident those 11 will stay, but coleman may have had his last season at the cottage. maybe john collins for manager?

18. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I do not feel we will go down yet. Charlton just held off Reading and I think we could do the same. (hope) Anyways, the points I see us being able to get are against Blackburn at home and Middlesbrough at the end of the season. I think that would give us what we need to survive.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm not resigned to relegation, however with each passing match it becomes increasingly likely. We complain about the midfield with justification, it is playing like s@#t. However, Fulham's front line has been all but absent during this abysmal stretch . Scoring is needed from Fulham's strikers, or as we have seen, the ship sinks rapidly. The midfield cannot be looked upon to pick up the slack; they've proven this season they cannot. This means more than a shot or two on goal each match from Mr. McBride and Co., or the drop will be a reality.

Also, I'm not expecting any points from the Reading match and a draw would be a fantastic result. Reading has shown it is a good club (not quite Europe worthy, but on the cusp)...at this point, Fulham is not.

20. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I'm not expecting anything either. Out of all the teams we have left, I think we could pick up a draw or perhaps a win at Arsenal. If they don't hit form in the next few weeks we might be able to pull "a west ham."

It's hard, but stay positive. I think we can pull this one out. If we do, then there better be a FIRESTORM sale this summer. That is all I have to say on the matter.