FULHAM V chelsea

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 20, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

This is a very important match again (as they all will be until we are mathmatically safe!) and to get a point will be superb, lets hope there are no more crap calls by crap refs.

With that said, I say, 4-4-2 with John and McBride. They seemed to have worked well but another partnership that we must not forget is the Radz/McBride one.

We get some really good goals when Rads and McBride are on the field.

As for you NY fellas, I'm thinking about sitting this one in...a bit of an early start and I, once again, have to leave for L.I. afterwards!

2. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

You have no idea how much guff I'm taking from this guy who sits two rows over from me who is from SW6 (and is to my dismay a HUGE Chelsea fan). Although with the Scum's draw today, at least they don't have the opportunity to clinch with a win.

If it's any indicator, I'm managing FFC in FIFA 2005 and beat Chelsea 4-2 last night! Of course that was after I got my behind whipped by Arsenal. It's amazing how much faster the top Premiership teams are in that game...

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think we need to stick with the same players and formation as we did Tuesday against Boro. Players seemed hungry and up for the match in a way that has not been seen by Fulham teams a lot this season.

Chelsea has only allowed twelve goals this season in league play. We must take it to them from the start and no just sit back and let them attack us all match. I would rather see us go out, attack and give it our all and get stuffed 4-1 rather than to sit back, be conservative and lose 2-0.

All I ask is that the team plays hard from the first minute on. If we do this, anything can happen. Football is a strange game and on any given day, any team can beat another team. Look at Norwich beating Manchester United two weeks ago. Perhaps we can shock the Blues in their own backyard on Saturday.

4. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Grrr... my favorite bar isn't planning on showing the game until the 4PM Central rerun! I would have easily gotten up for this one! Maybe I can sweet-talk them into changing since I went to high school with the bar's GM... hmmmmm....

5. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Absolutely agree that being aggressive is the only way to go. An early goal would provide the best chance for at least a draw, and one point is all you can expect. Playing for 0-0 isn't likely to work. You have to put pressure on their defense and hope for a lucky break. You can't just sit back and put everyone behind the ball. They pass so well that they will still get good opportunities.

6. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: FULHAM V chelsea

I agree with that. The same energy and aggressiveness will be necessary to have a fighting chance. We can't be too defensive because Chelsea will be happy to bide their time and pounce on the inevitable mistakes. A draw would be fantastic but I don't really see it happening.

7. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

RE: Re: RE: FULHAM V chelsea

If we stick with the 4-4-2 and keep the same plyers we had upfront last match and if Papa plays I think that we could very easily win 2-1 or more.

8. americanmike

This will not be an easy win or an easy match by any extent...but I am predicting a 2-1 to the Super Whites!

9. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I am unreasonably nervous about this one - I went back home for the 'blue poo' game at the Cottage and, apart from Papa's great goal, we were outclassed in every possible way. I hate to say it, but I think we will be on the end of a thrashing again and my only consolation is that they won't win the league by beating us. That would be unbearable. Sorry to sound so miserable but its not a case of the glass being half empty - its completely empty.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think it very much depends on what Chelsea expects to see from Fulham.

We will see, but I wouldnt be too surprised to see that some tactical changes have been made..

I think it would be rich if Fulham brings the ball forward with the pass through the midfield and Chelsea has plotted to defend against over the top.

Some have said McBride is no match in the air, in this game, but he is pretty good at taking the pass or cross on the ground and sending it forward.

11. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

If we win, i already have a distribution list set up on my phone consisting of every chealsea fan i know....i shall be composing a most gratifying text message for all those who have slated me in the past for not being part of the blue poo brigade!
    obbsessive i know!!

12. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Not obsessive at all! I have plans to decorate my Chelscum buddy's cube in Black and White and Dabs.com signs all over on Monday morning if FFC can pull it off...

Heck, I might even do it for a draw...

13. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

Superb...i nearly fell off my chair laughing at that....of course on the otherside of things, if we lose then i will have to switch my phone off for some time!

Just read that Cole isn't playing and that john is ....i'm really quite pleased for that, i think that john has got a huge amount that he wants to prove and that can only be a good thing!

14. americanmike

I have a guy who comes in and and does audits on my budgets, he is a die hard chelsea fan and I have planned, should we get 3 points, to print every other page of my budget reports as the Fulham Crest...

15. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Well... I just set the bet... he's spotting me a goal (setting reasonable expectations here)... the loser has to wear the scarf of the other team all day on Monday... I'm going to have to shine mine up so it looks good around his neck after the 0-0 draw... Of course, the idea of having to wear Blue Poo around my neck all day on Monday is a bit frightening...

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As Lou Brown from "Major League" said, "I hope we go out and give'em a big shit burger!" That is in reference to us playing Chelsea. I hope we stuff'em!!!

17. RDG

RDG Member

FFC usually plays to the level of the opposition. Only when a goal is scored against us do we seem to wake up. The lads have played well recently, having found that the 442 formation can be the way to go. That being said, I will be happy for a draw, even a la Mr. Styles. Catch me at Baker St., I've got to be up and out tomorrow.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham has been just as good, if not better than Chelsea in the first half. The Chelsea goal was a nice strike by Joe Cole that was tough to stop. Fulham's goal came via Collins John's persistence and hard work against Ricardo Carvalho late in the first half.

We are having a proper go at the Champions-Elect and we are holding our own well today. I think we can hold on and get at least a draw if not a win. It has not been since 1979 that we haver beaten Chelsea!!! Let's hope that changes in the next 45 minutes!! I am keeping my fingers crossed.

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

Not a bad first half

OK, 1-1 at the half. They sagged for a bit inthe middle but played well the last 10 minutes. I wish the commentators would give Fulham some credit--they make it sound that everything is up to Chelsea.

20. PLFulham

PLFulham New Member

Its incredible Fulham play against probably the best back four in England. We are good, very good. Great play of Boa, Edvin and Jonh.
    Defenitely we can get a draw.

cheers!