Fulham v Burnley

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Feb 6, 2010.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow, the games come fast and furious this year.

Burnley won today for the first time in something like 14 months, thank you West Ham. Once the appointed Bill Brian Shankly Laws, I thought they would make relegation easily. And I still do. Exactly one point away from home for them all year.

I guess Steven Fletcher is a threat, and Graham Alexander, at age 38, is a model pro who can stop most people on his day, but this team has no firepower and we should be able to take three.

I'll say 2-0, goals from The Flying Bobby Zamora and Okaka.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sure Roy rested Okaka specifically so that he could start against Burnley. I think we beat them.

OTOH, I'm REAL glad we're not playing Hull this week. They look LARGE.

3. sfm

sfm Member

In light of the first team's injuries, I would be interested in a discussion of which reserve team members might be called upon as substitutes? I have not been lucky enough to attend any FFC reserve matches this season, so I do not know whether Robert Milson is fully fit from his injury at the end of last season? Given the broad discontent with David Elm-- which I do not share--could Marcello Trotta make a call-up to the reserves bench as a substitute striker to spell Bobby Zamora at the fag end of matches? Naturally, Roy Hodgson would not wish to select from the youth team players for the subs bench in normal course but things are getting a bit ropey, and crowded on the trainers table. What do others think?

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

How many times have you heard British announcers say "that is why the Premier League is the best in the world" during a match? Well, this won't be one of those times. Burnley would gladly leave with a 0-0 result. Should be a grind it out and ugly affair.

The kid to start. Dickson back in the nick of time, he and Murphy have a good understanding of each other, which will hopefully translate on the midfield play. This won't happen because he is so far in the doghouse that there is probably no way out, but I would like Roy to go to Stoor (who's been flapping his gums everywhere) and say "Here's an opportunity, now go out and prove yourself or shut your mouth until summer". It would give Baird a rest and a natural right back a chance to start against a team far from prolific.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

IOW: A typical Prem Winter Doldrums match.

Lest the moaners get to ya, just recall a situation so dire that FFC was forced to take on a Kiwi who hadnt played in MLS for 2 1/2 months, more or less right off the plane, and start him for 5 matches, 90 mins plus, in a row..

This is the point in the calendar where the big guys cement their leads and the littler ones eat each other.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The good news is Fulham is at the Cottage. The bad news is the goal spigett has been shut off. I expect this to be a grind it out and hope for the best kind of match.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Three things:

1. We're going to win
    2. We're going to win convincingly
    3. We're going to get our third straight clean sheet.

You ignored it here first.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree. If you listen to my latest podcast -- with Rich of CCN!!! -- I go into how truly terrible Burnley are away from home.

I'm expecting 2/3-0, but I'd do with a 1-0. Just gimme the 3 points.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just checked out FSC's television coverage, and this match will be LIVE on FSC at 1500 eastern/1400 central.

I've also heard that the Fulham v. Notts County match will be one-half of FSC's FA Cup double-header this coming Saturday. The schedule didn't have that, though.

10. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    I hope you're right- this one's on my birthday, so a win would be a nice present. It is the Premier League so anything can happen- but this is the closest to a guaranteed 3 points we'll get all season. Burnley is Derby County 07-08 awful away from home- I don't think they can really manage a draw against us even with Zamora out again... (then again, the Pompey game was pretty ugly...).

~Steve

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It should be a good match; Burnley play football, so I expect end-to-end action.

Their biggest creative threat is Chris Eagles, who is one of the best dribblers in the league - he won't be at Burnley next year.

Still, I like a Fulham victory, with Okaka opening his Fulham account.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

COYW and just say "no" to Fulhamish.

And dear injury-goddess, we pray that you please spare your awe-inspiring vengeance tomorrow.

Is Eagles still at Burnley on loan from Man Utd or does Burnley own him outright? Excuse my sloth for not simply Google-ing my desired info...

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Chris Eagles looks like he should be a roadie for the Jonas Brothers.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! That might be the harshest thing you've ever posted on this site.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Does anyone really know who is injured? I know these guys are

Dikgacoi, Gera, Johnson, Konchesky, Dempsey, Pantsil, Davies

Is there anyone else? I've heard Zamora is ready to play again

Here is my starting XI

------------Aussie----------------

Baird, Hughes, Brede, Shorey

Riise, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff

------Zamora---- 'Kaka----------

Come On You Mighty Whites!

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Zamora and Davies are both eligible for today's match. Good news -- except to martin-in-nashville.

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Luckily I'll be in meetings a bit so avoiding the score for 1/2 the day shouldn't be too tough. 2-0 to the Mighty Whites. I really hope Davies doesn't leave injured like he has his last couple of returns.

18. LOBO

LOBO New Member

:oops: Double post.

19. LOBO

LOBO New Member

I agree with you on both accounts, but mostly with the "won't happen" part.

Mostly, because those kind of moves aren't in Roy's nature.

Stoor has done himself no favors, but I also would like to see him given another shot, especially given Kelly's recent performances.

Perhaps against Notts County on Saturday he'll get a look, but I have to think Roy will stick with Baird and the reliability factor.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the lineup. Okaka on the bench and Elm up front. Stoor is nowhere to be seen.Hmmmm

1924: Fulham v Burnley line-ups:
    Fulham: Schwarzer, Shorey, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Duff, Etuhu, Murphy, Davies, Elm, Zamora.
    Subs: Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Okaka, Nevland, Riise, Smalling, Greening.
    Burnley: Jensen, Mears, Carlisle, Cort, Edgar, Elliott, Bikey, McDonald, Fox, Fletcher, Nugent.
    Subs: Weaver, Duff, Paterson, Blake, Thompson, Eagles, Cork.
    Referee: Chris Foy (Merseyside)

I'm pleased to see both Eagles and Blake on their bench. They are Burnley's two most inventive players. I'm guessing this means they're going to try and grind it out.