FULHAM v. Basel

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by WhitesBhoy, Sep 27, 2009.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

This will not be an easy match. We need to throw EVERYTHING at them.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

For anyone wondering who the hell they are, Wiki can tell us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Basel

Second, this will not be an easy game, but I ran into a fan of Basel while in Zurich and he openly admitted that neither Basel or Roma played well at all.

No doubt this will be a test, now, anyone going to guess the team? I challenge you all.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Roy will play a close-to-full strength XI out there. We do have West Ham this upcoming weekend, but it looks like we have some time off after that.

4. Aztattooedsean77

Aztattooedsean77 New Member

I hope our attending supporters are loud and help push the club onto victory. :banana:

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

2-1 to the good guys.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'd expect to see the starting XI minus 1-2, with a couple of subs in their place. Probably some combo of Gera/Greening/Baird/Duff. The starters have played one game a week for 2 weeks, skipped the travel on the games the subs played, and are on back to back home matches followed by a "road" game in London. Barring a nagging injury, no one should need much rest. I suspect we'll see Schwarzer over Stockdale.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about Basel, except that Frei is a damn good player.

Saw Roy's comments on the offal, so the same lineup (once DD went off, should start). I really hope that the 3 subs are used earlier rather than later.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I have no idea what to expect. COYW's, regardless of which of the White's Roy chooses!

9. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Unless there or some nagging injury issues we are not aware of, I expect little change in the lineup from this weekend's match.

With the exception of Duff, I don't see Roy opting for much change.
    Maybe Davies returns if healthy, but I think Gera gets the nod based on his recent run of form.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, as to who will play, I've seen articles saying that Roy is likely to put out a full-strength side. I kind of doubt it though. Konch is playing partially lame, Johnson is one cross-body block away from 6 months in a cast, and Dempsey still looks like he needs a break. Even Gera played 205 minutes last week. PLUS, there's a eminently winnable match at West Ham coming up on Sunday.

As to how many people will show up and how lout they'll cheer, there are those who post on Fulham sites that are afraid the crowd Thursday will be the first four-digit crowd of the season. Depiste cutting prices significantly, and putting seats on offer for serving members of the military for only 5 quid, it looks like a lead-pipe cinch that our first group stage home European tie in history will draw fewer Fulham fans than our league match with Stoke City.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

This is practically a must-win if Roy has designs on advancing out of the group. I hope the boys play like it is.

12. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Well, I know someone that will be in the crowd...

A lady I work with is on vacation in London this week. She likes to do "off the beaten path" stuff (her words). I told her she needed to attend a "football" match (never been to one, even here). But Fulham didn't have anything mid-week. Along comes Europa and a Thursday in London at the Cottage. Of course she gets tickets and gets to see the Whites live before I do. :(

I know she will have a great time. Yell nice and loud Audrey & Tim!!

COYW!! :banana:

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really don't know why the supporters and the club seem to be taking this competition lightly. Why do we not care? Less than 10k at a european tie is a fucking joke and there's really no excuse for it. This is Europe and we should be throwing everything at this competition. This means our full support and our full squad.

14. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I like our chances. We seem to "get up" more for Europa games right now. Sucks that Duff is out though, I really like the way he's playing. For most of our usual starters, this will be their first taste of the group stage and I just think they'll be up for it. This could be the first in a string of wins, with West Ham on Sunday & Hull when we get back from the international break.

1-0 good guys in White

I miss posting here. I'm taking care of some health issues at the moment. I got a bum liver and the doc is still trying to figure out what is causing it. Luckily, hepatitis has been ruled out, so that was a bit of a relief. Once I know whats going on, I can take care of it, be less stressed and enjoy interacting with everyone here more.

COYW!!!

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I hate that. If I were in London, I'd be there w/o question. You hear so much about how great our fans are...yet if the match is non-League on a weekday, we get embarassing turnouts.

Good luck and best wishes DtD.

16. Bradical

Bradical Member

AJ is fragile, Demps is exhausted, Zamora is, well, Zamora... seems to me like maybe we should play the guy who scored vs. Sofia, our wild card Kamara? The guy is built for Eurpoe.

Confused in general by the wavering support - it's almost as if we don't know how to deal with success. Hope the turnout is better than expected, Basel has really struggled historically vs. the Prem.

Get well Dawg.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Roy says, "we want to move on from the group stages." Good for him. So do I.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... ction.aspx

My match preview should be appearing in a few hours. I'll skip to the punch line: I think we're going to win this one 3-0. But read the preview anyhow & thanks.

Hang in there, Jason. We've missed you around here.

18. DCDave

DCDave Member

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Hope all checks out clear, Dawg.

COYW!

Fulham in Europe and televised mid-week...somebody pinch me because I sure ain't in Iowa...

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Just keep in mind that the CSKA Sofia game was "televised" too; all I got was 90 minutes of splash page.