Fulham v. Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bearzfan4lfe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Murphy wasn't terrible... otherwise Hodgson would have taken him out. Murphy's problem is that he is not a defensive midfielder, he's a creative midfielder. He's short and not that big, and will lose the physical battles... but he's very skillful and still has something to offer the team.

He also is the best pk taker on the team apparently.

2. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

American-Mike, you are not man, you are a legend!!!!

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Okay, so its Monday and its time to put some perspective on things.

I didnt think Villa played that well.

There, I said it. It doesnt take anything away from Fulham, but I knew after the OG that we'd equalize - and maybe win it - because Villa wasnt creating anything or posing any serious threat. The absence of Young was HUGE for us.

Again, great result but all things considered.....

4. Morphsmate

Morphsmate New Member

Villa didn't play their normal speedy attacking game I agree but I think that had a lot to do with our hard work throughout not allowing them to.

I think we can take a lot of positives from this game and looked strong in most positions. Not since Bolton have we come from behind to win a game and it showed great character. I genuinely feel that we can stay up now. We looked a different team out there and one that's definitely up for the relegation dogfight.

I must say though I really didn't think Baird had a good game. He had some good moments yes but still looked very suspect at times and most likely to concede a goal. I just don't think he can cut it at the level we want and need to be playing at.

Murphy looked poor again as well I thought and has faded in the second half a lot this year.

Everybody else looked great though with many stand out performances.
    For me, most notable were Jimmy, Clint & Davies. Their work rate was awesome.

Anyway...Bring on Boro!!

5. Morphsmate

Morphsmate New Member

He also gives the ball away an awful lot. Especially sencond half. I'm still not convinced by him to be honest and would rather play a 442 without him in the starting line-up and am looking forward to our strikers all being available so RH has that option.

6. Morphsmate

Morphsmate New Member

He also gives the ball away an awful lot. Especially sencond half. I'm still not convinced by him to be honest and would rather play a 442 without him in the starting line-up and am looking forward to our strikers all being available so RH has that option.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Perhaps, but in other games he was the only person creating anything from the midfield. Players have bad games. He's not the future, but Fulham's midfield options are still limited. Andreasen might not be able to play a straight CM role, because he's more defender than midfielder.

Dempsey can't play a straight CM position either. So that leaves Bullard and Murphy as our two CMs in a 4-4-2.

8. SamStej

SamStej New Member

Murphy may be the only true center mid (other than Bullard) but the constant give aways as well as the inability to contribute defensively make him a big liability, at least in my mind. I would love to see a midfield of Bullard and Andreasan in the middle with Dempsey and Davies on the wings.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Steven Davis is a central midfielder and defends better than Danny Murphy.

I'm just saying.

10. Morphsmate

Morphsmate New Member

But he's terrible :)

Lyle - I'm not just talking about the Villa game, I'm talking about most of the season.

I agree whole-heartedly with SamStej, Andreasen in for Murphy and 2 up front. If not Andreasen then Smertin.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

... and he's no longer in the team.

Murphy hasn't been awful in past games. He's been mostly decent to good. English media has given him plaudits for resurrecting his career again. So he's been doing something right.

It remains to be seen if Andreasen can play a role in a 4-4-2. He's the yang to Dempsey's yin in that he isn't quite a CB and not quite a CM, much like Dempsey isn't a CF or a CM.

So you guys shouldn't just boldly say that Andreasen is the solution. We don't know that at all. If the 4-5-1 can work against Villa and keep them from scoring, it probably can work against most of the other EPL teams. Our defense still isn't great and we might need Andreasen to sit himself in front of the back four to provide additional help.

Wins and draws come before style now.

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Andreasen often played in the back of a diamond 4-4-2 at Werder Bremen. Something like:

-------------Andreasen---------------
    -----Bullard--------------Davies------
    --------------Dempsey---------------

might work. Hodgson seems to like using wingbacks instead of traditional wingers, so Bullard and Davies would be pushed closer to central midfield.

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Agree Richard on the diamond in the midfield but looking like this instead:

------------Andreasen-------------
    Dempsey------------------Davies
    -------------Bullard-----------------

and to put this to rest...Murphy has been awful most games. He makes horribly errant shots, gives away posession, and doesn't put forth the effort most other do. And that isn't just looking at the villa game, it's looking at most of the season.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think you're just plain wrong. And to slag him for no effort is shameful.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well defended, Lyle, but I have to agree with a lot of what's been said. Murphy's passing has been very erratic. He's cost us possession many, many times. Based on what I've seen of Andreassen, I prefer to see him moving up rather than Murphy. Although he is less likely than Murphy to author the beautifully thoughtful through pass, he is also MUCH LESS LIKELY to either dwell on the ball until everyone gets covered or pass it to an opponent.

In his day, Murphy was a joy to watch, but it's about three years since his day ended. I preferred Steve Davis to him while he's here, and I think that -- in a 4-4-2 -- he's the guy who should sit.

I agree with you on the fact that -- in a 4-5-1 -- his experience outweighs his lack of pace and periodic poor decision-making. But I also think that when we substitute a midfielder, the first one off the pitch should be Murphy.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree with HatterDon.