Fulham to play EPL match in USA???

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bearzfan4lfe, Feb 7, 2008.

1. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Now we must fight our way out of relegation and stay up until the 2010/11 season.

I can see it now...an entire section of FulhamUSA members at Dolphin Stadium to watch the Whites host Ch***ea. Oh what a world we live in!

COYW!!!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. yeah, that would be in mid-season, right?

What a tour package. I see TWO of them in Florida. The other near the fun-parks.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

how bout we just swap Fulham and Real Suck Lake? Fulham in MLS in my hometown...a nice new stadium for the Black & White!!! Who's up for it? Hello? Helloooooooooooo? Am I talking to myself again? :)

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

do you hear echoes, doggie? :D

They're talking about this -- non-stop -- on Sky Sports News right now. A couple of thoughts to chew on:

1. Which lucky locale gets Wigan v. Bolton?
    2. Which lucky bottom 8er gets THREE matches against one of the big 4 and which one's skate?
    3. Leading to the inevitable: what if a side (a) is relegated, (b) loses its European slot as the result of a match in Kuala Lumpur?
    4. Are the EPL owners even interested in pretending they care about their English fans?

One of the commentators on Sky brought up the first step towards loss of symmetry in league schedules -- some sides will play 3 games against one opponent, and it reminded me of one of the results of the INCREDIBLY STUPID regular-season interleague schedule in baseball. One season, Houston played the Yankees and the Red Sox on the road and went 1-6 as I remember, while Chicago and St. Louis didn't make that trip at all. As close as Comedy Central is in the National League year after year, you bet that little experiment cost us a division title.

If you want to shut down football during the "dreary English January" -- this from Birminham's owner [as if every day in brummy-land isn't dreary] -- then schedule these matches as exhibitions, send your kids, and take care of business during the transfer window.

Stupid, greedy [it's all about branding], poorly thought out. Oh, and did I say STUPID?

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah... but you're a frekin reactionary.

I recall your over-concern for the state of the turf in Wembley. Like the groundskeepers there didnt have a clue?

Who cares.. do or dont do. There is no crying in footy, after the fact.

sorta-paraphrased from a couple cultural sources.

6. jlough

jlough New Member

Wigan - Bolton? By 2010 it will be Stoke and QPR.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

The scheduling imbalance will kill this. Even if it does happen, I guarantee there will be a massive shitstorm of Tevez-gate like proportions if someone in the relegation zone plays a top 4 team.

8. BC

BC New Member

As much as I'd like to see Fulham play in the states in a real EPL match, I think it's a horrible idea, especially mid season. These guys are already exhausted then with the brutal holiday schedule. I agree with Don, I say play some exhibition matches in the preseason. At the very least, make these out of country matches the first match of the season. I'm amazed at how money hungry the league is!

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

That's the first thought that popped up to my mind when I read about it. Even then, I think this would serve to benefit the "Big Four" teams the most, considering the burgeoning fan bases popping up in places like Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Tokyo, etc. As Don said, there won't be many people who will turn out to a Wigan-Bolton match.

I think the head honchos at the EPL headquarters have listened to this song far too many times.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks, krh; been a while since this old dude has grooved to that number!

11. krhimself

krhimself New Member

FIFA rejects Premier League plans

This was never going to happen, frankly. The football federations around the world were never going to allow the EPL to come marching into their turfs and go on money-making ventures. AFC (Asia's main federation) wouldn't even let Man Yoo play an exhibition match last summer due to the Asian Cup; there was no chance in hell they were going to allow Premiership matches to be held in their domain.

Another blow for the soul of the English game, it seems.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, so much for unanimity among owners.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballN ... 4220080217

Mr. Smiley doesn't like it and, within a week, I'll bet that none of the non-American owners will say that they really thought it was a good idea.

Done and dusted? Let's hope so.

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Well despite you all pissing on my parade, I can still see it now...The Cubs have just won the World Series in game 7 at Wrigley...I barely have time to celebrate when a week later the Whites come into Craven Cottage West...Wrigley field...to take on...what the f*ck!?!? Sunderland??? Sh*t...well there goes that dream.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You went off the rails when you posted the words Cubs, won, and World Series in the same sentence.