Fulham @ Sunderland [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 22, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Ugh, this will no doubt be a tough one and the last time I went up there for a match it was abandoned! The first, and only, in Premier League history. Not that I'm bitter...I want nothing more than to win this weekend.

My Team:

Niemi
    Baird -- Stefanovic -- Hughes -- Boca

Davies -- Murphy -- Smertin-- Bouazza

Dempsey

Healy

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

A win is very important this weekend. I doubt every other team will do as poorly as they did this weekend, so we need the 3 points to stay up and continue our move.

I like your line-up, Mike. Sadly, Kamara and Seol seem to be prone to giving the ball away due to holding on to it for too long. But I think they would both work as good subs.

We NEED to get our scoring boots on. This slump is horrible considering how we were scoring goals for fun in the beginning of the season.

My prediction is a CLOSE 2 - 1 win for us. But I'm hoping some fire is under their butts and surviving Saturday will motivate them to play well.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let's try this one on for size, Mikey:

--------------- Super Hero 2007/8 ------------------
    Baird ---- Hughes ---- Stefanovich --- Boca
    -------------- Smertin -----------------------
    Davies --------------------------- Boazza
    -------------- Deuce ----------------
    ------- Healey --------- Kamara --------

I think this is our best attacking lineup. Oh, and I think we're going to win.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

I dunno, I have a hard time taking Steven Davis off the field.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I agree about Steven Davis... he'll probably play. Danny Murphy wasn't that great against Derby.

I don't want to start a separate thread, but who else is bothered by a lot of the negativity over on the OFFAL board? I know some of these fans are young, but I think some of them are absolutely horrible fans... especially for a team like Fulham, which is a small club, that will always have to live with losing and drawing unless it is in a lower division.

Thoughts?

And I hope we win at Sunderland, but I bet we draw. We suck away. We really suck away up North and Sunderland plays just as hard as Fulham does because of the savant tough-guy Roy Keane.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hey Lyle,

Let me comment on a couple of things you posted:

1. Steve had a poor match against Derby; he needs a rest. I hope we don't see Murphy or Seol any time soon.
    2. Our only win last year on the road was in Toon Town -- very near Sunderland -- and we had them down 0-1 to an early McBride goal when the match Mikey was talking about was abandoned.
    3. Yes, there's a lot of negativity, stupidity, and ingnorance on the Offal. We're so much cooler than they are ... and better looking also.

And I think we'll get three in the Stadium of Light.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Newcastle were awful last year though. And we got trounced at Middlesbrough, Sunderland's other North England neighbor.

I think we are a better side than Sunderland, but they aren't that bad and we'll be at their place (that will have twice as many fans as the Cottage does).

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Guys, why was the game abandoned last year?

Also, you have Boca on the right. Has he played there much? What about Volz, isnt he fit?

I think we can handle Sunderland. This is a whole new team, forget about the away wins problems of the past. If they can draw Chelsea and Man City, they can beat Sunderland. It's just a matter of getting up for it and confidence.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, that was two seasons ago, and it was snowing the ref probably couldn't see the entire pitch. Or, our 3rd strip was so ugly they cancelled it because of eye pollution.

And we're all picking Boca at LB. Last we heard Volzy is still injured.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

CT, enjoyed your latest article, and couldn't agree more about your 'points lost' take. Bottom line with all the home draws is if the lads don't WIN some games on the road we will find ourselves in the drop zone. I can honestly say that I've only seen highlights of Sunderland this season, but if they have any pace on the wings we are in trouble with the glacial backline that's going to be put our there. We need someone, anyone to put the ball in the back of the net early and Superhero to keep last week's form and above all stay healthy.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Speaking of which, I've always wondered - why does Sunderland have such a ridiculously huge stadium?

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Sunderland is one of those clubs that has been a Premier League club for many years. Only the last decade or so has Sunderland fallen from the ranks. Not to say the team was always winning titles, but they were in the top flight more often than not.

Additionally, there is a large support base in the northeast of England for Sunderland. They are a traditional team when the Stadium of Light was made the ambition was to get back into the Premier League and fill the place.

While it is probably too big, the club can rest assure that if they ever do get back to winning ways that they will not have to expand the stadium to accomodate everyone.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I can't stomach another abysmal result. please guys...get it together and come away w/ 3 points

14. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

1-0 to Fulham

Own Goal (78')

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

picking fulham on the road is like picking marty schottenheimer in the playoffs - bad idea. hate to admit it, but its true.

2-1 loss.

16. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'd like to add that Sunderland also has a very proud history. From 1890 to 1958, they never fell out of the First Division.

17. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Watch out for Kenwyne Jones from Sunderland, he has impressed in the early parts of the season. Not to mention their new goalie, Craig Gordon; it's like he's had a new lease on life since leaving the Lithuanian national team -- pardon me, I meant to say Hearts.

I'm definitely hoping that a player or two (or eleven) can play out of their minds and win us the game there, but I'll go for a draw with this one. Maybe 1-1. Keano will have his team ready, that's for sure.

18. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

I'd settle for a draw to be honest.

Re the offal board. I go back 40 years as a Fulham supporter and it reflects two things:
    1. Fulham has always had a section of very negative supporters. I think it came from always struggling, and fans adopted negativity as a way of not raising their hope too much and then being disappointed.
    2. Its also a Pom / Brit thing. Poms are funny people, believe me. Might be the overcrowding or the inbreeding ;-).

You have to wade through a lot of rubbish on offal to find good stuff, but did you read the one titled "Haven't posted since Saturday's game so here goes ....." by littletinyclare. Great summation of the Derby match and the negative crowd.

19. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

It's very frustrating that this team, which was leading the Prem in goals after the Man City match, now hasn't scored in a month. I think that's too flukey to continue, but I'm worried about the defense.

Prediction: 2-2

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Its time for Lawro to just shut the %&$# up and find a win!

I prefer Demps to play in the hole behind the strikers. He's really much better there. Also maybe its time we utilized Kuqi.

------------------KK-------------------
    Baird(why!)-Stefonavic--Hughes--Boca
    ---Davis--------Lexi----------Murphy----
    -----------------Demps------------
    -----------Kuqi----------Kamara----