Fulham Summer '06 Transfers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Feb 16, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Eeek! If it is Rutledge and Kilbane, we have lowered the bar considerably. That makes me shake my head, with a "why even bother?"

I see Govou is out of the picture now also. What about Davies? Any chance he is still in the mix?

I've adjusted my best case scenario to Davies and Mensah (with Gooch a most outside possibility).

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

But alas, we are short on time, and after researching, I feel Routledge and 2M is better than nothing. Still, wouldn't it have been better to have a RW that truly balanced the midfield. Someone who perhaps wasn't so, well, young and still relatively unproven. Who knows, maybe he will break out this season. If so, bye-bye and back to the Spurs. We better get a decent CB out of this.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I understand your lack of optimism Tom. My gut tells me that there is no way the club is capable of pulling a last minute deal together. However my gut also said the same thing about us signing Q. As it turned out we signed him just as Mike had said all along. So I decided to listen to Mike next time. While this is the next time hopefully Mike is right again.(fingers and toes double crossed)

I’m drawing a blank on Routledge, but I think Murphy would be better.

4. Ivor

Ivor New Member

Agreed with Tom. I saw Routledge a few years back and everyone was like.... who is this kid ? He was good. Pacy and skillful. I would be well hapy if we got him. Kilbane I am not sure about. Seems to me a bit like Radsinski...headless chicken. Simon Davies would be a better option.

Incidently, I saw the reserves play last night. Lost 4-0 to Chelsea..Zakhauni should have been sent off for a professional foul in the first half but then made sure with one in the second half. I'm afraid guys he is another Zat Knight...good in the air but on the deck.....Bambi on ice.

5. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Hooray to the Routledge rumor. Booo to the Kilbane rumor.

And the same rumors continue today...from Friday's BBC gossip column:

Tottenham are set to wrap up deals for Steed Malbranque from Fulham and Wigan's Pascal Chimbonda. (Daily Express)

Fulham have launched a bid to sign Everton's Kevin Kilbane. (Daily Express)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 297382.stm

After some thought I'm still sticking with my previous thought, stated in another thread somewhere on this forum, that the Steed deal will take until the final hour of the transfer window and Fulham won't bring any new players in. It's good to be a pessimist...then things can only get better.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Guys, the deal has been confirmed in The Sun and The Guardian. Let's hope no last minute snags get in the way.

Spurs will sign Mido, Malbranque (who will now play on the left), and Chimbonda. Not bad for a night's work.

I like this deal, I think Routledge's a better option than Murphy (not fast enough, I think) or even Govou (too much money, we never really a shot at him, and not sure if he can play in Premiership). No, I'm not saying he's a better player than those two. But Routledge posses those skills we need, he knows the Premiership. The only downside is he hasn't had that much playing time.

I don't like that we're spending money on a bid for Kilbane, he could be useful, but we need a CB now.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Good morning Heather!

Routledge is an added bonus especially since we get 2.5-3m for Malbranque and young right winger on his calibre on loan. With West Ham we would've received money and no player.

Now we can use that money on a CB, whomever he may be but there are a couple of options lined up in order to complete it all before the transfer deadline.

Should be exciting...and chin up fellas.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Oh, as for other players out:

Leggy and N. Jensen

Leggy is and will always be a fan favorite, a true gentleman of the game.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Here, here. Glass is half full.

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And it's the Guardian... not much better info than NOTW, just written properly.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm thinking positively. We have more money than we had yesterday for a CB. In the interim, I think it's time to get Boca off the bench for some real minutes. The pair we have now will NOT be ever-present over the 38.

Inculcating this phrase in my long-term memory: "listen to Mike; listen to Mike"

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Massimo Maccarone. The name alone brings a smile. Apparently he fell out of favor at the Boro and we have shown some interest.

The speculation is at a boil everywhere for these next 30 hours. To get caught up in it, if, IF, we could get respectable RW, CB, and Striker before 6:00 p.m. Central tomorrow, well then I will consider that a win.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Maccarone has been a 30 minute player for the last couple of years. I'd rather get a younger, pacier kid with something to prove, but I agree with PCB's second paragraph.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not enthralled with Maccarone, but as has been mentioned, a reinforcement up front, on the right and in the back would be great. Unfortunately, I am not hearing anything about a player in the back of late and that scares me.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yes, awfully quiet about that right now. Hope the glimmer and shine of a scorer has not blinded the attention to the real need, CB.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Kuffour is top notch.With him and Routledge I would be damn happy maybe even throw in Maccarone and that will take us to the top 10 easily. However this needs to hurry up as there is little time left before the window closes. I have a feeling that nothing will happen just remember last year when everyone and their brother was linked to us in the last minute and nothing happend.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

This is probabaly a very difficult thing to do, but is there a ranking of individual football players of the world somewhere. There is so much room for being subjective in the process, but curious if such a thing exists.

20. DCDave

DCDave Member

I know the transfer window closes tomorrow, but at what specific time tomorrow?