FULHAM FC vs. Newcastle - [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Jensers, Dec 11, 2007.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

totally agree spencer. we need a kick in the ass, and LS isnt doing it.

we also need something drastic to happen because you cannot honestly asses the team's performance the past two months and say its been anything other than pathetic, insipid, and clueless. and its continually getting worse.

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Well - thats the end of it. Now we get to wait and see. LS may stay for Wigan, but I would imagine it would only be to buy the club another week to find a replacement.

If they leave him there till next season then they will get the pleasure of finding a coach for the cola.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I also want to see LS go even though I like him and, like Lyle, have never really believed in sacking managers mid-season. My criticisms are the same as everyone else's, but there is one that hasnt been mentioned that puts me over the edge.

Lawrie has played more players this season than any other manager and I think it goes well beyond injuries and strategic adjustments. He is just plain tinkering because he cant decide what to do. He's a manager in the EPL for godsakes. He should not be spending 12Mil on signings and not know where or who he plans to play. It's December and it's still a different line-up every game. How can the team gel when they never have the same guys around them? Bouazza going to the middle during Kuqi's promising run is a prime example. You could call it a bonehead move on Bouazza's part, but I think it's more to do with how little they've played together in games.

By now LS should have been able to figure out who his best XI are, where those XI play, and who's on the bench. All of them will make mistakes but you stick with them and work with them for a reasonable time. If LS cant stick with his players and provide stability and leadership, I dont see why MAF should stick with him. There's been no improvement from the beginning of the season. The biggest change is that they are down and unsure.

4. psand22

psand22 Member

I just couldn't believe it. How did we let another point slip away. Thank God...my wife was home yesterday....or I might of put my foot threw the wall.

We need someone to step up and light a fire under the boys. Lets show some heart and passion. Maybe a few hard tackles to set the tone. I'm just sick of us booting the ball forward and hoping someone will be there. It's like we're waiting for the breaks to come us. The reason the good teams / players get the breaks - They hustle and put themselves in good position and don't wait for something to happen. They make it happen.

Let's hope the team takes a long hard look in the mirror. Sure we've had several bad breaks and injuries. Every team will have their share of adversity, but we can't sit around and feel sorry for ourselves. Let's hope someone steps forward and sets a new tone.

5. Jacob

Jacob New Member

And If by the Wigan game the fire isn't there I will go ahead and click "order your 08/09 Coca Cola champ bag now!" Not to rehash, but 3 wins in 22 games. The fire isn't there, the manager and back room staff are not getting the job done. I hope the job search has already commenced.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Luckily for me I was making tamales at my in-laws (christmas tradition), and didn't have to suffer through the ending. Not much to say, but the boys have to turn the page and focus on Wigan. At this point they have to do it for themselves and each other.

I remember Bobby McMahon on FSC reporting on a study that showed when a new manager came in the vast majority of teams produced higher for the initial 6-8 games and then leveled out to where the were playing before the sacking. MAF has probably his finger in the eject button as we speak, andI can't imagine LS coming to work on Monday if they don't get 3 on Sat.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

That's the thing, I don't know who we could get that would improve our results. In the past 5 weeks, we've played 4 teams playing in Europe, 3 of those away. We've learned that we're not as good as Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton, and that we're roughly equal to Blackburn and Newcastle. If a very strong replacement (i.e. Mourinho, maybe Jol) was willing to sign on, then I could accept changing managers. Otherwise, if we're just going to get a Gary Megson or Alan Pardew, it seems pointless to me.

8. Fern72

Fern72 Member

I don't even know what to say??? I thought for sure a draw was in the mist for us, but to lose and almost at the bottom of the table. Still proud of FFC and i'm glad to see Boca back in the line up.

It's not over till hte fat lady sings, and i hope they make some changes during the January transfer window. Who, i don't know, but we need some thing fast.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hi guys; I saw the match late Saturday night and I'm just now able to talk about it. I figured that a conservative points total for December was 9 -- even with only a couple of home games. I honestly saw no way that we would lose to Newcastle. As I watchd -- with no idea of the final score -- I was disgusted that we couldn't score against them and had to settle for a point -- and then the end came.

I agree that it was a penalty; but the fact that no possession was lost and that the next movement of the ball was a SOG, I was very surprised to see it called. Having said that. It came after 45 minutes of an inevitable FFC goal deluge that never came. Any hint of "Newcastle are on a roll lately" was wiped out as they defended the entire 2nd half and were thrilled to be sharing the points when we gave all three to them.

The digust I had with our display in the first half would not have been overcome if WE had gotten the injury time penalty. We opened against a middling-to-poor side at our house in a MUST WIN MATCH, and had no purpose, no drive, no energy.

I think we need to bench Murphy for Wigan. I think we have to go to Kamara and tell him (a) he's partnering Healy and (b) he gets either a goal or an assist or he's toast for the rest of the season. I think we need to put Dempsey in Murphy's place, keep Boazza in the lineup, and sit Davis down until 2008. Put either Volz or Boca in the defensive midfield role.

Then I think we need to look for a new coach. Even if we beat Wigan, Birmingham (away) and Spurs (away) to get those 9 points. I think we have to declare the Lawrie Sanchez "era" over.

I have never said this in the three years I've been following Fulham, but I think we're going down. We have a better side than Middlesboro, Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Birmingham, Newcastle, and Derby, but -- thanks to the inept leadership of Sanchez -- we're only finishing higher than Derby.

"Que sera sera; whatever will be will be
    We're going to Barns-a-ly; que sera sera."

and it may be another almost 40 years before we're back.

10. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

I think we should all just drink really, really heavily. :3d crying: :3d crying:

11. jlough

jlough New Member

I agree with HatterDon on the lineup changes. The question is whether a new Manager will make a difference at this point. There is always that burst of enthusiasum with a new manager that settles down after a bit. It seems to me that if Sanchez can get the team to play with the level of effort they had a month ago, he should stay. The first half last Saturday was not good, but the second half was definitely better.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

totally agree don. dunno if you saw my post about the match, but you practically echo all of my sentiments.