FULHAM @ Charlton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 6, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

This is a big match for Fulham. With only 5 points on the board so far we will need to go in with guns blazing!!!

2. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Mike, are you going for the game? If so, can I send you some cash to get me a new Fulham shirt?

3. martin

martin New Member

Charlton has had a great start but they have actually not played very well at home so far. I say 2-2. I'd gladly take a point from this one.

4. americanmike

Re: RE: FULHAM @ Charlton

I agree Martin, I'll take a point as well from this one. Unless we outplay them thoroughly and then tie.

5. americanmike

Re: RE: FULHAM @ Charlton

Of course, got your pm and you should have one back at ya.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: FULHAM @ Charlton

This should be a very entertaining match on Monday night. Charlton plays a 4-5-1, but it is a rather exciting 4-5-1 with Rommedahl and Thomas on the wings. Those two are lightning fast and will cause us some problems.

I have faith the attack will be there. It is just a matter of whether the defense will stop the Addicks. I have a feeling we might see Goma and Knight in there. Who knows. I think it would be great to get a win, but a point would do.

7. americanmike

Boca is now back at the Cottage (and actually has been there for a few days now since he got his second yellow in the qualifying rounds of the WC) and with the rest he now has I think you may see Goma and Boca in the middle with Christenval (sp?) coming in later on..

...but dont' be suprised if Bouba gets pushed up and Christanval slips in to a defensive MIDFIELDER role.

I listened to Talk Sport in the car (yes I'm in England already) and they were talking crap about Fulham already. Saying it will be 3-1 Charlton and we're going to get relegated, blah blah blah. Although, yes, we are in a relegation spot now, I firmly believe Fulham will fight its way to a mid table spot.

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

8. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I really think that the way the team has played thus far this season is on the verge of going on a good streak of getting points in 4 or 5 games in a row. It just seems as though they haven't had that killer instinct so far this year and have been turning wins to draws and draws into losses.

Its got to be sooner rather than later though. I'd like to see the team make a few moves in January and if they're in a relegation battle at that point, I'm doubting that MAF is going to dump any more money into a championship club.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

This defense has to improve and Jensen has to go to the bench. Rosenior to start at LB and Boca and Goma in the central defense. Boca has been decent this season and shouldnt be on the bench especially if that means Knight starts. Jensen has now had 2 absolutley horrible games now against Spuds and Manure. He is slow and that is going to be a problem this game as Rommedahl is one of the fastest players in the Premiership. Rosenior did well last season at LB surely better than Jensen and can get forward better and is much faster. John and Mcbride is the forwards that should start. Last season they were the 2 who started at the end and John had 2 goals and Mcbride had 6 goals from the Portsmouth game to the Norwich game. John can be that 15+ goals a season player that Fulham needs. Fulham win this game 4-2.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, the pressure is mounting a little bit more after the results from the weekend. Aston Villa won, Wigan won again, West Brom shocked Arsenal and Portsmouth even got a point. We need a result tomorrow. We need one in a major way.

11. andyns

andyns New Member

I'm ready boys. Watching the game live on Fox Sports World, can't wait. We need some points.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Crucial turn of the season, pivoting on this game.

The worst result for us fans would be a 0-0, 1-1 draw. Fulham needs to either win big (by either score or performance) or lose big.

13. thesportingrogue

thesportingrogue New Member

I think you're right. Another draw would encourage continued complacency from management.

14. DCDave

DCDave Member

Late developments (per 94.9 FM in London):

1) Zat Kinght wormed up but is now not starting (or on the bench, I think)

2) Christianval (sp?) is in for McBride, and Fulham wil be playing 4-5-1.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah, well.

"Wait till next game!"
    "The lads played their hearts out, though we had some chances"

- any other number of manager-speak comments.

One comment: I'm getting sick of whoever is at LB taking stick.

Anyone ever BOTHER to understand where most of the attack comes from? That you cant expect the other team to be total crap from the right or center?
    - - - - -
    sidenote: when i posted the comment on either win big or lose big on the offal, Big Momma asked how it could be good for us fans to 'lose big'.

One of those things that: "if you have to ask, you wouldnt understand my answer"

16. andyns

andyns New Member

Is it just me or does Mark Crossley move like a senior citizen with arthritis?

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Well thats 1 win out of 9 games and we play Liverpool next with a trip to Wigan after that. Coleman needs to bring a an expereienced manager to help out with tactics and subs etc. I was a person in favor of going back to the 4-5-1 but, his choice of team and subs are rubbish. How many games is it going to take before he sees that Malbranque is rubbish on the right wing. Then to move Boa into central midfield is a joke. This is why Boa has played so badly this season because for most of the season he has been in CM and it hasnt worked and it wont work.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, we got a point. It could have been better, but it could have also been worse. I thought we started out the game rather sluggish with Christanval in at the sweeper position. We picked things up and looked solid for parts of each half.

Unfortunately, the defense again let us down with the Danny Murphy goal. There was not a Fulham player within 8 yards of him when he scored. That is unacceptable.

We did get a point on the road and I am happy with that. Let's hope we can get a win or draw against Liverpool this weekend.

19. thesportingrogue

thesportingrogue New Member

Tom, I noticed two of our guys bunched up when the ball fell to Murphy for his strike. I wonder who missed his assignment. Hmmm . . .

It seemed as though we were playing a 4-2-3-1 until Christanval went off injured, effectively we had two defensive mids.

Except for the assist on CJ's goal, Steed looked out of place as ever. As did Boa. And Radz still can't finish.

20. Rob@ffc

Rob@ffc New Member

AmericanMike, i was sitting the row behind you at the game ! Didn't get the chance to speak to you fella... You was with one of the Witches i think...