Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well after Sunday's huge win over Portsmouth, what can we expect when Fulham goes up North to take on Bolton at the Reebok?

Will McBride get a start? Will Cookie stick with the 4-4-2 that produced three goals in the second half against Pompey? Will Rosenior stay at left back with Volz at right back?

What do you want to see Saturday? Formations? Starting XI?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

no
    no
    no

Expect more of same-ol'.... Lay back and wait for ball to blow into goal from a provident gust of wind.

People just dont understand what a great bunch of players Fulham has got.

They DO understand the REASON why the players are so loyal, but not that the reason they dont seem to live up to skills previously exhibited is part of it.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks for the doom and gloom view Petty! Perhaps you are right, but I beg to differ. I really think this win over Pompey has instilled some confidence.

Fulham's attack against Bolton in the FA Cup was non-existent in the FA Cup until the last 10 minutes. I really think that the squad will go in with an attitude of having nothing to lose. I look for the 4-4-2 to be in effect Saturday at the Reebok.

I am not oblivious to the fact that there are some problems within the club, but I think the team will step up and come to play this weekend. Fulham has had a nice run against Bolton other than the FA Cup match in late February.

4. pettyfog

Didnt SAY they wouldnt win... all depends on how bad the lads want it.

:) And the 4-5-1 COULD do it... the player confidence is the key!

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

I disagree on this one. I do not think the 4-5-1 suits the players Fulham has. Why stick an extra midfielder in when you are already short-handed with midfielders as Papa is hurt? I think we had a fine showing in the midfield in the second half last Sunday against Pompey.

The players have confidence now in the 4-4-2, not the 4-5-1. It will be key to get out on this team. Bolton has not won a match in which they have conceded the first goal. If we get on them early, we can beat them.

6. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

I'm a little confused by Coleman's quote but it sounds like he's going 4-4-2 with Cole and McBride up front. It's the way to go after last week's second half? If they can score first at least one point would be likely and that would be a perfectly acceptable result.

7. PLFulham

PLFulham New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

In my opinion Fulham team is not worse than Bolton one and problems we've got from weeks there are confidence, tactics of Coleman and back four. Now we've got the strongest possible defence, confidence after last win should be OK and we play 4-4-2 (hope so). We can even win. One point would be great too.
    I think its time we can go our best way to go up now. Perhaps it could be not easy to beat Chelsea but I'm sure we can play with Bolton, Manc, Blackurn.
    Lets give Pompeys and Palace chance to relegate... :D

8. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

Does anyone have a paddle...I know I football team caught in shit creek without one.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match comments

That might be the quote of the day.

10. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match commen

Apologies for the poor choice of language, btw, I know kids read/post here. From now on I will refer to it as pooh creek as pooh is a much funnier word ayway.

11. RDG

RDG Member

RE: Fulham @ Bolton - Pre, Post-match commen

Yeah, you're right. "Pooh" IS much funnier, "Winnie the Pooh" is much better than . . .

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, from what I heard from Gentleman Jim and from some who watched the higlights on SkySports in England, our defense was very shotty. I know we only had 10 men today, but the thrid Bolton goal was inexcusable. Eddy was passing over to Volzy and Mortiz was not looking. Bolton pounced on it and scored.

That really took the wind out of our sails. After Boa scroed and brought us to within one, there was hope and we were playing confidently. It was just not to be today.

Let's hope that both Palace and West Brom lose tomorrow to keep our six-point cushion on the relegation zone.

13. pettyfog

I'm happy to say that I was wrong on all three counts.

So there!

Actually, from the commentary, it sounded like a combination of bad luck on Fulahms part and great defending/goalkeeping on Bolton's.

I'm not really all that upset... except to wonder AGAIN why the boys are flat in the first half.