Fulham away to Sheffield Wednesday

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 16, 2015.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sheffield W is an even 1-1-1 at home this league campaign with 4 goals for & against. Add that in their last 7 matches they've scored 1 goal 6 times and and are coming off a 0-0 draw v Bolton in the 7th, it's a good bet we won't see a goalfest. Certainly a fixture where the lads can go get at least 1 point. COYW!!

2. Dynamo

Dynamo Member

As far as I can tell (guestimate) we're in the top half of a league table since our day 1 win at Sunderland in 2013. Is that right?

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

That's probably correct given our slow starts the last 2 years.

Should be a winnable game except...we're on the road, so you never know.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fulham should press the Wednesday because they are not a threat to knock in goals, so take the incentive. Ross and Moussa up top again, please.

COYW

BarryWhite likes this.
  5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/spor...ws/fulham-striker-wants-new-partner-10070247?

Hopefully they are on the same page more often than not against Wednesday.

6. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

I think Moussa and Ross could make a really good partnership given their playing styles. Ross loves to drop deep, pick up the ball, and look for runners ahead of him. Moussa is a powerful kid with good pace who's constantly looking to make runs into space. I think if the two can get into sync they could really start knocking in goals.

Moving forward, I'd like to see those two start together consistently, with Smith and Cauley as options off the bench. We can bring Smith on if we're chasing a game and need to shake things up, or Cauley if we're holding a lead and need someone with energy to defend from the front and keep the ball when we have possession.

We're developing some good options here, I just hope we can get Moussa signed up long term. I've seen rumors that we're preparing a four year deal to triple his wages. I hope that's the case.

nevzter, encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  7. SoCalJoe

I just hope Ross & Moose II get a run of games to develop the necessary chemistry. It seems that 1 or 2 unproductive matches and a change is made.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

We got as high as 13th last year (after crushing our opponent this week, Sheffield Wednesday). Since we just missed out on being in the top half last year, it had been two years, but we were also #11 after our week 1 draw, so I don't know if you want to count that.

9. SoCalJoe

Hell Micah, I counted it when before the season started we were up there due to alphabetical order :rolleyes:

HatterDon, MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

would be nice to crack the top 10 with an away 3 pts.

11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Lineup:
    Lonergan
    Richards, Ream, Stearman, Husband
    Cairney, Tunnicliffe, O'Hara, Pringle
    McCormack, Dembélé

When was the last time we had the same starting XI two weeks in a row?!

EDIT: Not that long ago. We had the same lineup at Hull and Brighton. Just felt like a long time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If we learned anything this morning, it's that once you've checked into the chatroom, STAY THE HELL IN IT UNTIL THE MATCH IS OVER!

You know who I'm looking at here!

About the match: the three game winning streak is over; the world is falling down all around us now.

dcheather likes this.
  13. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Aside from the return of the old set piece defense bugaboo, another trend seems to developing. Our forwards were missing in action, especially Ross. It seems an oversimplification, but it bears scrutiny...if #44 isn't scoring, we ain't winning.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

What is this about?

Agree with the sarcasm about the other part. If you think this is a promotion team, I guess I get the angst. Otherwise, the result was not really unexpected. I wouldn't mind seeing a shake up in the coaching staff though. This set pc nonsense is ridiculous.

Only seen the stats and highlights, so aside from saying it looks like we took a slow attacking approach & generated little from it, I'll have to rely on others for analysis.

And what was with the ht sub? Did Husband move up to lm or did we play 5 defenders (3 cb's with 2 wb's)?

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes, Husband moved up to LM. Richards also got upfield more. Pringle was not doing much, and Kit wanted a wider attack -- which we got. Nominally we were still playing 4-3-1-2, but it really sounded as if we had three at the back. We had more of the match in both halves. Poor defending at set pieces -- please note that the first two goals were headed in by guys under 5' 10" NOT the responsibility of our back four -- did us in, but we weren't overwhelmed at any point. We had some execution problems all over the park, and Kit brought in three impact subs to make a difference. Each did, but not nearly enough.

The quote? Banter among the people bouncing in and out of the room -- coming in just as we score and/or leaving just before we conceded. It was mostly aimed at the person who liked my post, an she took it well.

17. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights on the offal. Jazz Richards was outjumped by Forestieri on the first goal. Moussa was outjumped on the second goal. I can't tell who had the coverage on the last goal, but Ream and Stearman were both trailing Turner (i.e. not in position to defend). This definitely needs to be a focus again (unfortunately).

I will say that those who left the chat room missed out on an exciting finish. GJ had to have been out of his seat for the final ten minutes or so. I was glad that we didn't give up and pressed even after their third goal.

18. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Looked like Burn to me on the last one, 'Stro. And you're spot on with the first two. Pretty lame from both Jazz and Moussa. Burn was there on the third, but just inches away from nicking it a bit from the scorer. Don't know if he would've changed the outcome had he managed it, but we need a "come to Jesus" meeting on set piece defense....and that right soon.

19. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Highlights:

Full 90:

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I listened to GJ from about 30' on while I cooked breakfast for the family. Considering the past transgressions of my entering the chat late, I stayed away...however, to no avail. Happy to have listened to what, I believe, was a bit of a fight back at the end.
    COYW