Fulham at Stoke

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Gotta win out. It's that simple. And the Potters have not been world beaters this year (then again, when are they ever world beaters?). In short, this is a winnable game on paper. We're capable of beating this team. Our survival depends on a result...a 3 point result. Will we do it? I don't know, but I do know we can't keep the bloody speroid out of own net. IF we can find a way to do that, we have a chance. Do it not, we die. I have to believe that we're due some luck, some breaks, some sort of gift from the futbol gods at this point. We just need to execute, somethng that's been the biggest issue of this dismal campaign. I have no idea what to expect from either side. We just need to win.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

how weird would it be if we were relegated by goals scored by two Americans?

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Even with two wins, just don't see the third team that will finish below 37 points, WBA only needs one point, Sunderland is on fire, perhaps Hull will do us a favor and put Villa into panic mode this weekend, but think this is the week Villa finds safety. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter where we suffer the drop, but if I had a choice I'd prefer it at home on the final day.

4. tim

tim Active Member

After last week's gut punch, I just don't see us getting any points out of this match. Maybe on the final day, just to save face in front of the home supporters, but we're down and out, and I expect us to play like it. I'll go with 3-1 Potters.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I buy that we're capable of beating this team or that any game is a winnable game on paper. Most of our wins have been against the run of play. In our 1-0 win over Stoke, we were outshot 16(3) to 9(2) and lost the possession battle 56-44%. We won when Barren Dent scored in the 83rd minute.

I don't buy that Stoke have nothing to play for. Hughes said a few weeks ago that 40 points was never their goal for the season. They are 2 wins shy of 50 pts with 2 to play so they'll probably turn up for the match. Then you have the Hughes facing the club he left factor. I don't know how much players are really impacted by that stuff though. Stoke are 5-2-3 in their last 10 matches and 4-0-1 in their last 5 home matches. They've kept clean sheets in 3 of those 5 home games. Since Stoke's promotion to the Prem in 08-09, we have yet to win a match at the Brittania. We're 0-1-4 there with 4 straight losses.

For us, it's yet another must win game. That has mattered little so far this season though. We do finally have our backs against the wall, so I guess there's hope in that. Stoke will be without Shawcross after his red card last weekend. They've only scored 2 more goals than we have this year (39-37) and Stoke have only managed 4 goals in their last 5 matches. The club subsidized tickets for this match, so we'll be taking another 3000 like we did against Villa. Maybe they can recreate that atmosphere that pushed the boys forward.

I think a draw (0-0 or 1-1) is entirely possible, but a 2-1 loss is most likely. Hull hadn't exactly been pumping in the goals prior to our match either and that mattered little against us. If we lose and either Sunderland or Norwich win, we're relegated. Should be an interesting chat room with Villa, Sunderland and Cardiff all in action during our match.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt is right about overanalysis. Professionals want to win. Every game. Whether they like their manager or not.

We have to stop looking at these matches like they're HS basketball games.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Might as well enjoy these next few days while we're still officially a prem side.

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I had hope for the longest time but last week took all the wind out of my sails. I know there remains a mathematical possibility but I can't see the planets aligning properly for Fulham to survive at this point.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Insert gallows humor here. Fulham has to dodge so many bullets this weekend just to stay alive they must remember to..SERPENTINE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_w-QCWpS0

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:lol:

Never seen that clip before...and now I am imagining all the Fulham players yelling Serpentine while playing on field.

11. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I'll be watching and chatting on Sat, especially since it's very likely to be the penultimate match that I'll get to see for at least a year.

My hope at this point is purely mathematical. Like others have said, dropping the two points in the last five minutes last weekend has relieved me of all emotional hope.

12. jumpkutz

Succinctly put, by the Stoke website:

D-DAY // Fulham's 13-year spell in the Premier League will come to an end on Saturday if they fail to record all three points, whilst Sunderland register a victory against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Anybody like Sunderland's chances at OT? I sorta do, but not by much.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

At least they'd be communicating. That might be a first for our back four this year.

I've listened to and read several previews for the Stoke match. I'm wondering if anyone, anywhere, researches a damn thing about other clubs. I still see references to hoofball and rugby when it comes to Stoke. That hasn't been the case this year. And I keep seeing it said, "they'll really miss Shawcross and Huth." I get Shawcross is suspended, but Robert Huth has been out since late November (gameweek 13) and Wilson has been playing in his stead. You think they might be used to playing without Huth by now? Yeah, me too.

Also saw Hughes' press conference remarks. Apparently a win will see Stoke secure their highest top flight points total ever, so I wouldn't be holding my breath hoping to encounter a team with nothing to play for. Especially since this is their last home match. He also said he'd known about the upcoming sale at the time he decided not to re-sign with Fulham and, after what happened to him at City, didn't want to go through that again.

14. tslyon

tslyon Member

15. tslyon

tslyon Member

Time to get fired up ya'll!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLeytBh5hP0[/youtube]

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Starting: Stockdale; Heitinga, Hangeland, Burn, Riise; Holtby, Parker, Sidwell, Diarra, Richardson; Bent

Bench: Joronen, Kasami, Mitroglou, Dejagah, Woodrow, Riether and Amorebieta

17. jumpkutz

It's a Dan Burn sighting! Who's Joronen?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

an interesting lineup. Burn is back; Rodallega is nowhere; Bent is starting.

19. jumpkutz

I knew somebody was missing. It's Hugo. A knock? Or Felix being Felix?

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

A 21 year old keeper.