FSC to Broadcast U20s

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Good news for those who like to follow the USA's youth talent. Fox Soccer will be broadcasting the CONCACAF U20 Championship games for the USA and Mexico. Here is the schedule for the group stage next week:

Being drawn in the same group as Costa Rica is not the best of luck, but oh well. You have to be able to beat someone of quality to get to the WC.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

That's cool. I don't follow the Unders at all, but being on tv I might feel more compelled to make some time to take a look.

3. Clevelandmo

First match is today at 6:30 pm ET on FSC. Another of our U20's, Marc Pelosi, broke his leg (fibula and tibia) as a result of a nasty challenge that was given a straight red. He wasnt available for this competition anyway since Liverpool wouldnt release him, but God knows how this is going to hamper his development. So sad.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

A pretty ugly game, but they got three points.

Daniel Cuevas was probably the most impressive out of the bunch.

The back line was pretty bad, but Ramos started a defensive midfielder at centerback and two centerbacks at the fullbacks.

5. Clevelandmo

It was a shockingly bad display by the US. Most Div 1 college games have better soccer on display than what we saw from the US. They were out-possessed by Haiti for large stretches of the match and could only manage a 2-1 win earned in part by a dive from Cuevas. As LAX said, lots of guys were playing out of position, but not only on defense. There was not a single defensive midfielder on the field and three of the midfielders couldnt even be bothered to defend. So Ramos is much like Klinsmann, trying to fit the players to a system, rather than the other way around or rather than finding the players who can best play that system. However for me the worst part was that apparently US players now dive and time waste (One of our Germans was subbed in and then yellow carded for time wasting). Time waste to protect a 2-1 lead against a poor small island nation like Haiti? :shock:

6. Clevelandmo

Just a reminder that the US U20s play Costa Rica tonight at 6:30 ET on FSC. Hoping for a much improved performance. Go USA! :flags-usa:

7. LaxAttack

They won the group with a 1-0 win over Costa Rica. Much better on defense but nothing overwhelming going forward.

Jose Villarreal has some hops. Really got up there on his goal (can't find highlights yet).

Next up is Canada in the do-or-die/qualifying quarterfinal match on Tuesday.

8. Clevelandmo

A much more coherent performance against Costa Rica, but frankly they were not near as tough of an opponent as Haiti. Some even suggested maybe CR was playing for a match-up against Cuba rather than Canada. I though Gil, Joya, Villereal, and Trapp all looked good, but overall I'm still not impressed with this group. If they do qualify for the U20 WC I dont expect them to go far. And the amount of rolling around and writhing in pain is really turning me off, and is something that is not good for growing the sport in the USA.

The USA plays Canada tomorrow (Tues) at 6 pm ET on FSC. It will be interesting to see if this team is any better and breaking down the Canucks than the U23's or senior team. I seriously doubt it because this group is too much about individual skill on the ball rather than passing and seeing the game.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I plan to watch the match tonight, but might not make it "live" enough to join in the chatroom. If I do, I'll see you there. COYRW&B

10. LaxAttack

They looked pretty damn good in a 4-2 win over Canada and advance to the U-20 World Cup. Hopefully Tab and Co can lock up Anthony Brooks for this summer as the back line is probably the weakest link (they were also missing Walker Zimmerman, who is an expected starter).

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought they looked good. I was very disappointed in Canada's petulance and cheap-shot fouling. Perhaps the world has turned 'round and Canada is just another dirty CONCACAF team fouling the USA with imputnity.

12. LaxAttack

13. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

14. Clevelandmo

It was a much better display and it was very good to see that they could kick it up a notch, in terms of attacking creativity, once Canada went ahead 1-0. I also didnt see the diving I saw in the previous two match-ups.

The down side, unlike Costa Rica and Haiti, Canada was less athletic than the US players. So yes you would expect the US to look in control of the match when they are playing against a side that is both less skilled and less athletic. Also, if you consider Canada lost their captain and best defender early in the match and were not awarded what looked like a deserved PK, it could have been a lot closer and perhaps even a different result. So I am tempering my encouragement over this performance a bit.

15. Clevelandmo

My thoughts too. What is happening to the world. :character-oldtimer:

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

They've improved in every match which is a good sign. just getting the experience of traveling to Turkey for the WC no matter how they play is invaluable. :clap: For Tab Ramos and the kids.

17. LaxAttack

The US beats Cuba 2-0 today and now plays Mexico in the Final on Sunday.

18. Clevelandmo

And the diving and some (wasnt horrible but still there) time-wasting returned. In the opening minutes, Garcia decides to dive rather than trying to beat the goalie and receives a yellow for it. If this is how these kids continue to play I will not be a fan. On the positive side some good movement and link up play despite missing Luis Gil. I dont think Joya is as good as Gil but he is still a really nice player. It was the first time I've seen Brandon Allen. He looked a little slow compared to the athletic Cubans but his movement off the ball was really good - nice to see.

19. LaxAttack

Lost 3-1 in extra time after being tied after 90 minutes.

They looked gassed at the end and they had a depleted bench due to injuries and some guys returning to their club team already.

I was the most impressed by Cropper, Joya, Villarreal and Cuevas over the whole tournament.

Next up: The U-20 World Cup this summer in Turkey.

20. Clevelandmo

US got a bogus pk call so they were lucky to have it go into extra time. I was most impressed with Hoya, Gil and Trapp. Cuevas works hard and is good at this level but I doubt he will manage to be an international at any higher level. I've watched too much average Dev Academy soccer to think there is anything beyond what we saw in this tourney from him. Hope he proves me wrong though.