French Open aftermath

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by krhimself, Jun 8, 2008.

1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Not sure how many of you watched the tournament, but wow. Rafa Nadal just totally humiliated Federer in front of the international audience.

Something tells me Federer will be in decline pretty soon.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Yes it was shockingly one-sided considering Federer was on the other side of the net. However, there are essentially two different games of tennis now - clay and all the other surfaces. It's too bad because I think Federer is the greatest player of all time, but if he never manages to win the French then I dont think he can clearly lay claim to that title.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That's a tough one. Have any of the other dominant players had a foil like Nadal that was so superior on one surface?

4. Clevelandmo

Pete Sampras was nearly as dominant yet couldnt win the French, he never even made it to a finals there so it wasnt possible for him to have a French nemesis. Ever since the size and material of tennis rackets changed, players have been able to hit the ball harder yet worth more control than ever before. Clay is a slow surface so a more cunning player that maybe cant compete on the other surfaces gains some advantage.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ivan Lendel was a monster on every surface except Wimbledon's grass. It makes you appreciate all the great tennis players who could kick ass on all surfaces.

6. Clevelandmo

Except that there havent been any since the 80's. I have to wonder if anyone will ever be able to win on all surfaces again.

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well I personally feel Borg is the best of all time. Had he not retired so soon he'd have the most grand slams in history. I think Federer is right up there and if not for the amazing Rafa he would probably have equaled the french and wimbledon feats of Borg. Anyway, every time I watch Fed play against anyone except Rafa on clay, its a work of art. Bellissimo!

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

"Tennis hottie touted as next Anna Kournikova"

Yes, that's correct in a sense, the only difference is that Ivanovic now has a Major trophy to her credit.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member