1. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Apparently Freddie Adu is off the Man Utd for a 2 week trial. I have a question for those regular watchers of the MLS.

Is Freddie all that and a bag of chips? Or is he simply an average player who developed at a very young age and was faster and stronger than other kids his own age?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I wouldn't say he's all that and a bag of chips, yet. It's tough to tell right now, sometimes he looks like the best player on the pitch and then sometimes he looks a little less than average. I swear it depends on his mood. He's definitely one of the best at his age, but he has a lot more developing to do to be a world class player. And I'm not sold on him getting to that level from all that I've seen.

But he has gotten very good at FKs and corners during his time at DCU and is one of the better left-footed players (maybe the best?) in the league. He's a very good young player to bet on for development for big clubs.

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

One of his problems is that he is small (though he has grown since he joined DC United). But he has an incredible, incredible ability to handle the ball with his feet. I agree with DCHeather that he can sometimes look great but that it is not consistent. I also suspect that the disagreements between he and coach Peter Nowak haven't helped.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that Freddie is the most skilled player we've developed on this side of the water. As we do with basketball, we tend to look for "athletes" and then hope we can teach them ball skills. That's what we're trying to do with Marvell Wynne, for instance. Freddie is a FOOTBALLER.

Freddie has good balance, two good feet, and is an accurate striker of a dead ball. He tends to over-dribble when away from Nowak's noose, and he isn't as strong as he might be, but I think he'll get stronger and better. His field and positional sense today as opposed to this time last year is like night and day.

I'd hate for him to go to Man U, because Alex likes to sign Americans but not play them [see Kirovsky, Cooper, Spector, Thorrington, etc. etc.], but he needs to go somewhere and NOW. Nowak is holding him back and breaking his spirit.

He's worth whatever you can get for him, and he'll be our best player by 2010.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

BTW...It's Freddy, not Freddie. Sorry, for the nit-picking.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We're so happy to have you back on our side of the water, we'll forgive the nits AND the picking.

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Freddy is good. But good enough to justify the original hype? Probably not. He is skilled on the ball and has pace and creativity. These are things the USnats are lacking. This year he has become a good playmaker. He sees the field well and finds the backline breaking type passes. As was already mentioned he is getting very good a FK's.

It seems to me that he has the attitude and ambition to make it to the top, qualities which should defiantly not be taken for granted. Just ask Landy Cakes, Mathis, and others.

On the down side his finishing is not good. He gets himself in good positions to score then losses his composure. He should score a lot more then he does. He has the ability to do so, hopefully he gets the mental part squared away soon. Reminds me of how Cristano Ronaldo used to be.

I think he is ready to take his game to the EPL. I don't see him developing to much more in the MLS. He must go to the next level. Is he Man U worthy? No not really, not at this point. He'd fit in better at a team that really could appreciate a fast skilled mid. An Everton, Man City, Blackburn, or West ham. Heck I'd love to have him at Fulham.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Number one team in the number one league in the world is interested, I'm thinking the kids got something. Let the chips fall where they may. Meanwhile, Fulham's got mountains to climb, teams to beat.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

PCB, see you at 1:15 Central/2:15 Eastern and we'll get right to work on it.

10. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

He's not in his prime yet. I was watching my poor Red Bulls play DC Utd. in the second leg of the 1st round and Adu looked very good. He was hustling and creating oppurtunities. But Jozy Altidore looked much better. I don't know why many European clubs aren't looking at this kid! He's amazing!

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

That's why I included them both on my US team line-up. That kid is amazing, and I hope to see both creating and scoring goals for the national team.

BTW...I'm currently watching the Hamburg-Gladbach game on GOLtv, Feilhaber is so good right now at such a young age--that backheel to Van der Vaart was great. Oh, I can't wait for these kids to age and progress their games even more. :banana:

12. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: Freddie

My nits are there for the picking.

Actually I though it might be Freddy but was being too lazy to check.

13. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I cant wait for next years U-20 YWC in Canada when Adu and Altidore will be on display. I think thats when Josy will get the attention he deserves. I would rather see Adu in Spain then England but it looks like he wants to play in the Premiership.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Why is Sir Alex a yankwaster? Do you blame him for Tim Howard and Jonathan Spector's lack of first team action at Manchester United?

These two as well as those thinking about going there in the near future should know that getting a spot in the first team is not easy. In fact, one needs to play matches to get better as Howard is now with Everton.

However, do not blame Sir Alex for these Americans problems overseas. I would venture to guess that both of these players did get better playing in training with the first teamers and against them as well. The bottom line is that these players were not good enough at this point in their careers to play at Manchester United.

Yankwaster is definitely a bit harsh. Was Cookie considered a Yankwaster when Boca rarely saw the field at times last season? Is Stuart Pearce a Yankwaster for sitting Reyna on the bench a lot the past couple of seasons?

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

One question I would have is, is it better to practice with one of the best clubs in the world and maybe get a shot a first team duty OR is it better to probably start on a mid to lower table club?

Dunno, just asking. Howard and Spector appear to not be suffering too much. (Except Spector is now stuck in a strange environment at Wet Spam, the wrong club for him.)

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would say it is better to start at a smaller or mid-table top flight club. You are going to play more consistently and despite what many say, I feel playing in games trumps any experiences you might get in practice.

I am not completely against younger players going to big clubs, I just think they more often than not get lost in the shuffle.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tom: Yes Tim and yes Spector,

and yes, Cooper, and yes, Thorrington, and yes Kirovski -- among others. I don't know how far back your fitba history goes, but Kirovski was the leading scorer on the youth and reserve teams that featured players who went on to become legends. Supporters at Old Trafford used to chant his name at matches he WASN'T playing in, but Alex kept his own counsel.

He's had a decent career, but what should have been his best years were wasted at United.

Let Freddy go where he can play. Sitting in the reserves will not help him for 2010. Nowak is right.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I understand what you are saying Don I jsut don't think you can necessarily blame Alex for all those players shortcomings. Big clubs will take any youngster with any kind of potential n the hope that they will develop. More times than not, they do not and end up in the Coca-Cola Championship or other such leagues around England and Europe.

I agree that Manchester United would not be the best fit for him because he would not play for a few years, if ever. However, I do not think one can label a Yankhater or a Yankbuster or whatever it was you described him as.

Every big club does this kind of thing signs youth players in hopes of that player becoming the next big things. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Read Madrid, Barcelona, and AC Milan are a few of the clubs that follow this practice. And I am sure Americans are not the only ones not getting the chance to feature in Manchester United and other big clubs first teams.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yankwaster. I didn't say he hated them, just that he wastes them. I think United signs American players to boost their viz in the States -- especially since Beckham took all that attention to Madrid -- and that, perhaps for that reason, Alex doesn't care much for them.

Spector was the lucky exception, and I hope that Tim stays with Everton [yuch] after his loan period is over. Spector's having a good year and Tim has been exceptional this season. Had they stayed, Spector would have been in the reserves and Tim on the sub's bench. Waste of talent and heart.