First 16 Matches Awards

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jun 16, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, everybody has played one match. Here’s my review. I’d love to see something similar from the rest of you guys.

Best Team So Far – Germany – They are quick, fluid, link brilliantly between midfield and strikers, and they’re lethal in front of goal. It’s a shame they all go down easier than a squadron of Arrowsmith groupies.

Worst Team So Far – Greece – No ideas; no discernable attacking personnel or strategy.

Biggest Pleasant Surprise (Team) – North Korea

Biggest Unpleasant Surprise (Team) – Portugal

Most Surprising Result – Spain 0 Switzerland 1

Best Player I Hadn’t Heard of Before the Tournament – Itumeleng Khune (South African GK) – In addition to some very good positioning and saves, he had the quickest and most accurate throws and kicks I’ve seen from any keeper in a long while. Runner up: Jong Tae-Se (North Korean striker)

Most disappointing player(s) – Lionel Messi/Argentina, Kaka/Brazil, Rooney/England

Goal of the tourney (so far) – Maicon (Brazil) – Like Dempsey v. Juve, the guy looked up, saw the GK’s position, and responded with audacity.

Best performance by a Fulham player – Dempsey. Honorable mention to John Paintsil

Performance of Greatest Concern to Fulham Fans – Senderos not lasting 40 minutes against Spain.

What Am I Doing Here Award (player) – HMS Jamie Carragher

What Am I Doing Here Award (coach) – Diego Maradona

I Am Most Pleased About – The quality of the officiating – such an improvement over the last two WCs

I Am Least Pleased About – All the bitching and moaning about the vuvuzelas. It’s a South African thing; get over it!

Old Man and the Sea Award – Simon Eliot, New Zealand

Did Somebody Get the Number of that Truck Award – Mark Schwarzer, Australia

Bizarre Information of the Tournament So Far – Evidently Kim Jung Illin is so concerned about keeping his citizens away from foreign influences, that the North Korean supporters in South Africa are actually actors hired in China. You can’t make this shit up!

Looking forward to the 1 o'clock match. Great Tournament so far

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I mostly agree...

- Either Maicon is the beneficiary of the most beautiful luck cross of the WC so far.. OR.. he hit it instinctively, the NORMAL flight of the ball off his foot there would have been a curl, instead it had spin to slice the opposite way.

Whichever .. VERY PRETTY

Vuvu's - WRONG it AINT really an AFrican culture custom thing.. there's a heated argy on Crew boards with plenty of references and I can pretty much bet that AFTER the WC, the VUVU will be banned in any international Comp and possibly at any South African sporting event.

Before you loose the 'racist' hound on me... I'm on record: Get over it for this event.
    \Not only that.. ESPN filters out SOME of it... they COULD kill almost all of it.

And if you have a theatre EQ setup on your TV, you can too.

Actually hear crowd and whistles.
    Youtube demo

Any of you guys have audio Equalizers {I dont, but I also dont care} and want a translation, I understand what he saying and how to apply it.. just ask.

3. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Bit Harsh on Rooney I think HD...he didn't get any kind of service from midfield, so hardly he's fault,totally agree with Messi tho, and Im guessing your picking Dempsey cos he scored a spectacular goal?

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think you're making too much of it, Martin.. he did say 'by a FFC player' and poor Mark sure didnt qualify.
    If he'd said by a CURRENT or FORMER FFC player, then even 'Magic Simon' would be there.. as he was on the Crew MB.

Rooney? Without doubt, on record, the best player on the pitch was rendered ineffective. And mostly by the US midfield which played far better than the US D line which in turn did better than we'd expected.
    - I BELIEVE that was what Don was referring to. He couldnt manage to get available.

And the only thing that was 'spectacular' about Dempsey's goal.. see my signature line.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Your right about Mark terrible game, but thought Pants over Dempsey would have been my choice that's why I said what I said about the Goal?

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think Lionel Messi was good, the Nigerian stopper just pulled off so awesome saves. So Vincent Enyeama could have been on the unheard of players list.

I agree with you on Portugal. They look something sorry. Ivory Coast looked disciplined though, which means they might actually go far in the tournament. Portugal is not dead yet, but they've got some battling to do.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

For best Fulham player performance let's not forget about Dickagoi, his perfect release pass put Bafana Bafana on the board.

There should be a Howler of the Tournament Award which obviously is Robert Green's with a honorable mention to the Paraguay keeper for gifting the Italians to tying score.