FFC webcast now a Subscription Service

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Spozzie, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Spozzie

Spozzie New Member

Its really OTT in my opinion when I first looked at it I thought..7 quid a year or 29 for the premium but I did a double take and saw that was the MONTHLY subscription..too high and really gonna effect our listening ability. And can they guarantee a quality service? I doubt it. And I see that Jim will be doing home and aways? Something to my knowledge he has never done.

What I suggest is that we boycott the service and ALL email the club and suggest they as Simon states "have been smoking dope" the cost is way way over the top its $52 a freaking month! thats $63 Canadian.

Anyone who agrees with this course of action please reply, Boycott the broadcast and email the club and tell them the fugg why we wont pay that ridiculous amount of money.

I guess its back to looking for online radio feeds and other clubs broadcasts.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Cheers to that Spozzie! Like you, I did a double take on the fees and about fell out of my seat when I found out if was that much per month. Who are they kidding? This is just way too expensive and it is unfortunate. Who can we email at the club? Any ideas?

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Part of the reason why the subscription is so high is because they now have to pay GJ to attend the away matches as well. It ridiculously high...I doubt Fulham will change and we will have to pay...I know I know, I'm a pessimist but the club will only see Green in this case.

4. Jux

Jux New Member

Is there anyway that FUSA could get a group rate? I have a feeling that the answer will be no, but I though I would put that out there. I wish they had something similar to the pay-per-view services at Sports Bars where the price per customer is less than an individual purchase on their set at home.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is Fulham we are talking about Jux. The answer to that would be a resounding NO. They are trying to make money, but they are doing it the wrong way. The prices of this service are astronomical and I would venture to guess that not many people will sign up for this.

I find it funny that Fulham is looking for ways to make money from the fans yet they bring no merchandise to Columbus, they charge nearly 20 British pounds for shipping to the States and they are charing these rates now to even listen to matches.

Fulham was and I repeat, WAS, one of the last Premiership clubs to allow the fans to listen to matches for free. If they want to start charging people, I can understand it, but not these rates. I was thinking maybe 8 pounds a year or something.

Fulham's marketing and money-making schemes are ass backwards as was discussed in the Fulham Marketing in the US thread. This is yet another thing I think they messed up on. I hope they at least lower the fee or it will be soccernet.com's Gamecast for me all season.

6. Spozzie

Spozzie New Member

Looking around the other Premiership sides the average rate is 3.99 a month and 35ish a year, how the hell are we being charged double? And why? We all know that the internet broadcast is very unreliable and we tolerate it as it was free, but once again FFC have got it wrong.

Sure I realize that we should pay something..but never 8 quid or 29 quid a month, thats just robbery and I cant imagine any less buffering or interruptions or the like. And what really pisses me off is that its snuck in the night before the 1st game of the season. Out of principle I WILL NOT pay that rate I feel we are being ripped off and as many mention its not the only time..like the outlandish 20 quid for s&h from the club shop.

7. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Yeah I think the prices of this service are quite high. we all know the huge shipping charges from ordering merch. from the club, and now this.

and here all this time i've been chuckling at how man u. fans were fearing higher prices of man u. tickets and merch after the glazer takeover.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Arrggghhhh

Sorry for the double thread.

I didnt look at fulhamusa forum...and what kind of mod doesnt look at the site forum?

ecchhhhhh

9. pettyfog

Tom... if there's ANYONE who could make an impression... or get through to the proper person at Fulham, it should be you.
    You're the only one with credentials, AM coming in second because he's so often 'there'.

This is a matter for Hoos, himself. This is a freakin' marketing nightmare. First they didnt bring anything to Columbus to capitalize on the resulting interest.

Now this

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, I will have a chat with Mike and see what we can do. I am guessing the club will not budge, but it is worth a try. I will put something together and send it over to Fulham this week.

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

IF (and I mean IF) I would buy such a service, I would consider it my Fulham "purchase" for the year, meaning that I would by NOTHING from the team store. I had planned to ask my wife to get me the new road red jersey and othe stuff (last year, she got me over $100 worth of stuff from the store) but if I have to pay to listen to the radio broadcast, that money to Fulham is GONE.

Maybe I'll just depend on Gamecast too. Fulham does not deserve the money. What a bunch of STUPID people thay have running the club. No wonder we're considered relegation fodder.

12. americanmike

To their point, we are the only premiership club that had free commentary and I knew it was just a matter of time before they made this service a "pay" service.

The club was eating the cost of sending Jim to matches and now they want to make some $$. Unfortuantely, I do think it is a bit much...

The service is great but this may make it harder for the 'new' fans to follow our beloved club.

I will be paying for this service whether or not the price drops and Tom and I will see what we can do.

HOW'S THAT FOR BALANCING ON THE FENCE?

13. bill29

bill29 New Member

The audio service is not working for me either. Is this what we're supposed to pay for?

14. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm willing to pay a reasonable price, but I get XM Radio for $12.95/month and I could get every MLB game on the Internet (radio) for $15-$20 or so. $15/month ($150/year) is not reasonable. If it were 1/3-1/2 of that, I could see it, but the price is a joke. Oh, well, no radio for me (and no new kit for that matter, unless I buy one from Kitbag and let them make the $).

15. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

That's it...me and my boy/girl (not sure which yet) are off to find a club that appreciates us. I spend a fortune each year coming to couple of games, paying to get into pubs in NYC, buying merchandise and was about to get all excited and order the ususal 'dad' type stuff in the fulham baby department. But, quite honestly, I've had enough of those greedy fcuks - they can stick it up their arse and find some other gullable spenaholics. Good luck FFC, another one down.....just about 20,000 more to alienate.

16. sniper

sniper New Member

The club has no regard at all for overseas fans. the membership scheme is inapropriate, the shipping charges huge, and now access to games outrageously expensive. Clearly the club doesn't want an overseas franchise. I have written to them and suggested the develop a membership for non european based fans that encourages us to promote the club globally. Do they care - I don't think so. Do I care. Sadly - yes.

17. sfm

sfm Member

Quite agree, Dave! I have to believe Fulham TV will modify their pricing later in the season as they have premium priced initially. Price insensitive supporters will pay ?8/month initially. Threafter it would make sense to offer perhaps ? 30 for 1/2 the season from January onward especially as they risk lower renewals should the season go pear-shaped early on (not that I expect it; generally liked what I saw today). Chrmn Mo knows a thing or two about retail and as Fulham TV's costs are relatively fixed, FFC will recognize they can sell more subscriptions by offering a "sale." After all, they premium price Grade A and B matches and new merchandise and if one is patient, they will do the same with Fulham TV.

In interim, I had some past success listening in on BBC London 94.9FM. The trick was a) the match could not be on FSW and b) one must connect several minutes prior to kick-off. Even so, about 1/3 of the time I would be disconnected once BBC.com recognized my USA based IP address. But the rest of the time it actually worked! Of course, one must endure BBC commentators slagging off our Whites but it beats the alternative: On a tight budget, I simply can not afford 40 extra quid until January.

Will post on this Board if/ when able to listen in on BBC London on-line.

18. RDG

RDG Member

First off, I have no intention of actually paying this per month charge.

However, could someone please clear up a question for me --
    is this Fulham TV service only available to broadband users?

If so, I'd be out of luck no matter what, as I have an "ancient" computer and dial-up. I agree with a number of others out there that this is no way to win/keep fans, especially overseas ones. In addition, the WAY in which this was announced showed no concern for fans at all. It seemed to be a postscript, casually thrown on the FFC site.

Ugh.

19. pettyfog

No... the confusion is brought about because it's BETTER on broadband -esp the video- and the PLUS service is included in a Pipex Broadband ISP package WHEN BOUGHT THROUGH THE FULHAM SITE!.

rdg, I dunno what PC you are using but I suggest maximising VIDEO capabilites by going onto ebay and buying a used video card. It may help. i have Broadband but a Pentium II 266 PC and it serves me well other than streaming video.

My wife just bought a new laptop and it makes the video look relatively GREAT but i wont use it because she constantly rags me about 'messing up her pc' if ANYTHING looks different to her.

20. americanmike

Well, if you missed the replay on TV, you can go to FulhamTV and watch the highlights of the match vs. Birmingham City. ENJOY.