Favorite Quotes thread ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ohio4fulham, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=5058

The link above contains a link to Theodore Roosevelt's "Citizenship In A Republic" speech, from which the famous "man in the arena" quote comes. A quote of which SteveM19 is fond and a speech from which we could draw fantastic quotes all day. A speech, which Fog points out, should be standard curriculum in our schools today.

So, on that note ... share your favorite quote(s). If you'd like, share why they mean what they do to you or anything else about the quote you feel so lead to share.

I'll start with a few common but good quotes that are good reminders to me to always aspire to do better, be grateful for what I have, do what I know to be right and to think before I judge ...

"There but for the grace of God, go I"
    - John Bradford

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Edmund Burke

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good idea for a thread ohio4fulham. Here's a few of my favorites, seen previously on these pages, I'm sure

1. You're never as good as you look when you win or as bad as you look when you lose. -- Earl Weaver.

2. For every problem there is a solution that is neat, simple, and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken

3. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit. -- Ronald Reagan

4. Of course, I'll marry you ... now quit groveling! -- HatterMom :D

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'll start with my favorite American, George Washington

However political parties may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, Sep. 17, 1796

----

Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Governor Dinwiddie, May 29, 1754

----

Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, Oct. 20, 1792

----

Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles. For I have not only gone gray, but blind in the service of my country.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, speech to Cont. Army Officers, convinced them to abandon their coup.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for a good quote.

1. "The doors of wisdom are never shut" -Benjamin Franklin

2. "For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. "Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half physical" - Yogi Berra

Ohio4Fulham there is a fairly recent Anthony Hopkins movie called "World's Fastest Indian" (good flick about a New Zealander's journey to the Bonneville Salt Flats) in which Hopkins character speaks of the "man in the arena", great quote.

5. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

A quote which will be familiar to those who have an affinity for the "arts and crafts" style ...

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    - William Morris

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

A couple more;

1. "History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon" -Napoleon

2. "There is nothing impossible to him who will try" -Alexander the Great

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

My two favorites:

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
    -- Sir Winston Churchill

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

-- Mark Twain

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

A few that are near and dear:

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." -James Joyce

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." -Malcom X

"That's the beauty of argument, if you argue correctly, you're never wrong."-Nick Naylor

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and one more ... us old guys can confirm this:

"Life is what happens when you're busy making plans." John Lennon

10. Clevelandmo

Funny/Memorable

"It depends upon what your definition of "is" is." Bill Clinton during questioning regarding the Lewinsky fiasco.

"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" George W. Bush, I dont really know why he said it, but he said it.

"I want to concentrate on my salad" Martha Stewart in response to a question about her insider trading troubles.

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'

Chris Rock

11. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

My favorite closing literary monologue ...

"Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and flows over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."
    - Norman MacClean

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, ohio4fulham, if we're talking closing literary monologues ... This is Prospero's final speech from The Tempest. Since it was the last play Shakespeare wrote, it is generally considered his retirement speech from the theater:

I got to make this speech, and at least two other equally amazing speeches during the 4 or 5 weeks I did the part.

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu

"The art of diplomacy is allowing someone else to have your way" - Unknown

"Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" - Sun Tzu

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do." - Jesus

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

"I stole your hunny like I stole your bike." - LFO

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Here's a couple good ones from last night;

"So let us agree that patriotism has no party. I love this country, and so do you, and so does John McCain. The men and women who serve in our battlefields may be Democrats and Republicans and independents, but they have fought together and bled together and some died together under the same proud flag. They have not served a red America or a blue America – they have served the United States of America.

So I've got news for you, John McCain. We all put our country first."- Barack Obama

"In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is - you're on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. No health care? The market will fix it. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps - even if you don't have boots. You're on your own. Well it's time for them to own their failure."- Barack Obama

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Speaking of Obama quotes, did anyone else see the pompous idiot on ABC news trying to sum up the rise of Obama to presidential candidate? His overy-dramatic comment ended with my new signature line.

I know the guy is never going to be able to live this down. What a maroon.

17. Clevelandmo

Spencer and Hatter, you guys are starting to get political (I'm a little guilty too), where's the moderator?

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Since I can't post this in the election thread --

I consider myself reasonably literate politically, and before today I didn't know who Susan Palin was, what position she held, or where she was from -- I need to do some research on her.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

... but I just was watching Fox News' coverage of the Dayton rally and I saw someone had hastily written on a piece of cardboard, "Iraqi American 4 McCain"

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm working on it..

Keep it VERY civil or get deleted.