Favorite Football Teams (OTHER than Fulham, of course)?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by TonyTX42, Aug 31, 2006.

1. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

So I started a thread awhile back asking for favorite players and it seemed to do well (yes, my back IS sore from patting myself there, thank you), so I thought I'd shoot another one your way.

What other football (the European version, not the American kind) teams do you support, either Stateside or internationally? In much the same way as I chose Fulham, I also chose Hertha Berlin out of the Bundesliga (I liked their uniforms and they have an interesting and storied history); also, being from Houston, I naturally support the Dynamo, although they've proven to be much like all other Houston teams: good enough to really get behind, but heartbreakingly bad when it really matters.

So whatcha got?

2. CStoneNo37

CStoneNo37 New Member

D.C. United, and I cheer for Reading when they're on because of Convey. Other than that I'm just cheering for goals.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm starting to fancy Bradford City A.F.C. as my second favorite club team. Since I started following the game more seriously 3 or 4 years ago, I had no idea how many professional levels there were in England alone, not to mention many other nations. The Bantams (cool nickname methinks) turned some heads two seasons ago when they earned not one, but two trips to Wembley whilst residing in the fourth tier of English football, League 2. The first, a 5-nil spanking at the hands of Swansea in the League/Capital One Cup final, was preceded by a run that claimed the scalps of top tier clubs Wigan, Arsenal and Aston Villa. The second was the playoff final for League 2, in which they earned promotion by beating Northampton Town 3-nil. One of the heroes was striker James Hanson, a local lad who's first senior contract was with semi-pro, non-league Ecclesfield United, where he supplemented his football income by stocking shelves at a local co-op supermarket. Bradford supporters made up a song about his grocery days. They play at Valley Parade, which dates from 1866, last renovated in 2001. 56 supporters died on 11 May, 1985 when a fire engulfed the main stand. 265 were hurt. It is believed to have started in a collection of hidden rubbish underneath the seats by a cigarette or match. The stand was an old wooden structure that had been condemned and was scheduled for demolition after the match against Lincoln City. You don't seem to hear nearly as much about this incident as you do about Hillsborough.
    The home kit is claret and amber stripes. which usually pairs with black shorts, although they do wear white with them on occasion, which I tend to favor.
    Oh, and they beat Chelsea today at the dog track to knock them out of the FA Cup.
    Yeah. I like these lads.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Before I could get out a welcome back to Tony, noticed the date posted.

My daughter's late step-grandfather supported his local club Plymouth Argyle so I have a soft spot for them. He would come over here half of the year and was so happy to know a yank who could talk footy. Argyle was punching above their weight in the Championship and the dream of going a step further was nearing a reality when included in England's 2018 World Cup's bid a new stadium was going to be built that would've been a replacement to Pride Park. When that fell through, so did the club finances. Had to look them up and sadly they are mid-table in League 2, but with a good GD and a legit chance to get to the playoffs. Could be worse, the team currently sitting in 18th place in that division...Portsmouth.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Oh well, at least the might Bantams are still wreaking havoc on the big boys. Now if only they do something about the awful pitch at Valley Parade. 2-nil over Sunderland. Woot, woot. valley parade vs sunderland.jpg