Explain your "username"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by DawgTheDon, Apr 2, 2009.

1. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I've always been curious as to why people pick the user names they pick. So if you want, explain yours.

I'll start..."DawgTheDon"

From my high school days until today, people have called me either "J-Dawg" (my real name is Jason btw) or "Dawg". Not sure why, not sure how that started, but to this day people who have known me for ever call me this instead of my name.

So that's half of it...

The other half has to do with my obsession with mob movies.

I also use "Dawg Corleone" in other forums.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I think I like Dawg Corleone even better.

Formerly "FFCinPCB", which the first part speaks for itself. And if you've never heard of the second part, well shiiiiiiit, ya'll come on down and visit the Redneck Riviera! You may even get to be in a movie.....like Girls Gone Wild.

Currently "WhitesBhoy". Whites, again no need to explain. Bhoy is a tip o' the bowler to my second team, the one who I can follow in European play, CELTIC! 'Mon the Hoops!!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I loathe ESPN's Dan Patrick. I was drunk when I registered, and meant to log in as HaterDan, but I fumble fingered it. Many people on this site have called me either "Hatter" or "Don" ever since, and I've been too polite to tell them that my real name is actually Todd Rundgren.

Pretend it's yesterday. :roll:

4. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

hahaha..you serious Hatter? Thats the best story ever. I also loathe Dan Patrick. Don't like his former sidekick either.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

American Mike

I don't need to explain it do I? Other than it's uninventive and straight forward.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

uh, ditto

7. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

thirds

8. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Sorry, I guess this post is what happens when you're sitting at work, the company you work for is going down the crapper and there is nothing you can do but sit there, collect checks and prepare for unemployment.

Carry on...

9. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

Flaming Coke Cans

Ingredients:
    1 Coke Can
    1 mostly subdued fire (ie - hot coals)

Preperation: (About 30 seconds)

Place one full, unopened coke can in the middle of the hot coals, preferably in an open area. Quickly move the outer coals into a mound that eventually covers the coke can. Place yourself in area that provides both good viewing and good shielding.

Cook Time:
    About 2 minutes.

This will result in a vertical launch of the coke can as well as a horizontal launch of the surrounding coals. It is actually quite enjoyable. Me and my friends did it in high school when we went camping.... we where cool... I promise.

10. Bradical

Bradical Member

I'm glad "flamingcokecans" piped in because that's been a constant headscratcher for me... Good story "Todd," but I'm so thrown by the reality of your name that I'll just keep referring to you as Don, and assume Hatter is a reference to Luton Town.

'Bradical' came about years ago trying to come up with something clever to attach to my name (Brad). I don't consider myself to be particularly radical, either in the surfer jargon or political sense, but I'll settle for clever anyday. Plus, it's usually not taken when I sign up for sites/email monikers.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Lyle is the name of Confederate soldier who freed his slaves before he went to war and then killed like 50 Yanks at Gettysburg before two cannon balls struck him simultaneously ending his kick ass soldiering. If he hadn't of been killed the Confederates would have likely won Gettysburg and possibly the war. Not a too well known fact. He's like the Roswell Incident of the Civil War. Our govnerment doesn't won't anyone to know about this guy. Now you know.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Very interesting Lyle. Like the story.

Mine is named after a road. Yep, you heard it, a road.

Ridge Road is a very well known cycling road in the Sierra Foothills near were I live and is used for training by local racers and also is frequented by a lot of enthusiasts as well. So, I was trying to come up something and I came up with RidgeRider...cause that is what I do. :D

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

My name was handed down to me from my father and since it is a family heirloom it seemed a shame to change it the something like BarryWhite!

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Great story, I am a Civil War scholar and hadn't heard it.

Steve, real 1st name. M, real last initial. 19, the number I always asked for when I played defender growing up, even better than Paolo Maldini. Assuming, of course, that Maldini was wrapped up in duct tape.

Also, my favorite pro athlete who played before my day was Johnny Unitas, TimmyG would get that connection.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Oh... my story is made up. I should have given more, exaggerated details... like he charged the Union line up Cemetery Hill all by himself wiping out 2 whole regiments single handed, and only armed with a bayonet.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

dude, lyle, you gave up too soon.

me = hook, line & sinker. although i enjoy civil war history, i'd never heard of your "lyle" and i thought the whole scene entirely plausible.

well done, sir.

my name was given to me by a coach in jr. high and it stuck with me. fairly pedestrian, no?

17. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Jim is my firstname and Sig stands for Sigma. Back in College I pledged Sigma Tau Gamma, Sig Tau for short.

When I first got on line back around 1994 I had to come up with a name for my AOL account and picked JimVSigTau, I figured I would come up with something else eventaully. I then dropped the V standing for my last name and eventually shortened it to JimSig for messageboards.

18. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I found the site and registered and realized I needed a name. This was before ILWT, where I use my real name. At the time, I was working on optimization models and thought that perhaps my future would be in doing such things (HA!! Where I work is the exact opposite of optimized). Hence, optimizer.

19. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

While I was growing up (I am still waiting for that) my favorite band was The Cars. On their third album (yes, as in black vinyl) called Panorama, would you believe they have a song called "Misfit Kid". I loved the song so much my friends started calling me.... Misfit Kid.

"I'm the American Misfit Kid,
    still wonder'n what I did.
    I'm on the inside,
    taken a fast ride". 8)

20. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

FulHAMburger. ???? Why I did that, I've no idea.

In my defense I was in highschool at the time. I thought it was clever.

If I could change my name it would be one of: Unofficial Nonmoderator or Good Ol' Nev.