Escape from Blackburn?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I was wondering why Hughes would make a move to work for an owner who runs his club in the same clunky, inconsistent manner he ran his government. But you have to think Hughes had a vision of the future at Blackburn and didn't like what he saw.

Now he's gone and the rumors are out there that Bentley, Santa Cruz, Nelson, and even Friedel will be leaving as well. If they lose that quartet, then you really have to look at Blackburn as a clear candidate for relegation this next season.

I think this would be good news for Fulham. One more club between us and the hole. If Roy makes good signings, and the additions of Schwarzer and (maybe) Gera strike me as a quality start, then we stand a good shot of having an April without any real threat of relegation. I can't see Stoke or Hull staying up. West Brom, without Gera and potentially Greening, will have a difficult time in spite of their quality manager. Now you potentially have Blackburn in a clear period of chaos staring straight at losing the key elements of their side. I think Bolton and Sunderland will be hovering around that level as well to fight it out with the other four.

We've got a good opportunity to put distance between ourselves and the bottom three and solidify our place as a mid-table Premier League club. It would be nice to have a season with a bit less anxiety heading into the last month of the season.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Santa Cruz just got there and had a good year; I can't see him leaving just yet. Bentley seems like a good bet to get picked up by a bigger club now that he's starting to get some England caps.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think that the certitude that Bentley's days were numbered helped make up Hughes's mind. That, and the fact that SGE probably spent more money in August and January of this past season than Hughes has spent his entire career. The Brit press is talking about Jo and Ronaldihno coming to the City of Manchester Stadius. The only way this happens in Blackburn is via satellite. I wouldn't count on Friedel moving. He was everpresent before Hughes got there, and City has a brilliant young English goalie there.

I've resigned myself to finishing below Citeh. The good news is that I had resigned myself to finishing below Rovers, but I'm not so sure now.

4. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I think he'll be the first player Hughes goes after at City.

What shocks me is that Blackburn would be willing to talk to anyone about Friedel. I think it would be essential to keep him around in this transition.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

the move sense from hughes' perspective: bigger club and bigger kitty equals big impression to make on the eventual man united vacancy.

from a fan's perspective though, it just shows that managers only follow the almighty dollar (or pound, or euro, or yen, or whatever). personally i dont see this working -- not because Thaksin is a tyrant. but because Big Sam was in the same boat last season and didn't do so well.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I have to disagree -- City stepped in a pile of excrement on this issue and came out pretty as a flower. Hughes is pretty quick -- I have a feeling he ironed out control issues before he went on board. That said, if Hughes is one year and done, City would be due for their next relegation.