EPL - Homegrown Rule

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Sep 15, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8255784.stm

Interesting that they're tying in "adherence to new financial rules" with this decision since British players are the most overpriced players in the EPL.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Wonder how many lawsuits have been filed already, or maybe they do not ripen until next season.

3. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I dont agree that they are Overpriced, but this doesn't effect any EPL Club as of today since they all meet the Minimum so dont lose any sleep over it.

Btw if you want to discuss overpaid players lets talk about Baseball, Football and Basketball in this counrty????

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Martin, what he's talking about is how overpriced English players are in comparison to other players of equal or even greater talent from the continent, from the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Africa. This is pretty well conceded by most managers and chairmen in England -- both in terms of salary and transfer fees.

The most striking example I can think of happened two summers ago when Barcelona got Henry cheaper than Spurs got Bent. Henry was three times the player at the time, and probably still is.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Don, On the Bent/Henry comparison I will agree with you,thats one example?. but please dont compare British Players with those from the continants youv'e mentioned, that's like me saying American Baseball players are no better than those in Europe.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Martin. Don's point is that, for players of equal ability, an English player will cost 50% more than one who is not English.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Henry was 30 (at the end of his prime) and Bent was 23 (at the start of his). It wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.

8. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I think the eight homegrown players is a reasonable number. I'm fairly certain that many lawsuits will follow this decision, so you have to wonder if it was worth making. I’m pretty sure this will get overturned by a higher authority.

9. Martin-in-Nashville

This is England were talking about we dont do Lawsuits everytime theres something new or we dont like unlike somewhere esle I could mention?

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It's not just England anymore ol' chap. Welcome to the wily world of the EU!

They may not do lawsuits, but I would bet quite a few barristers, judges, lords of the house of commons, prime minister, and even your beloved Queen are familiar with the term "reciprocity".

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I never begrudge an athlete's salary. If an owner is willing to pay them, then that's what they're worth. Can't say I'm familiar w/the Prem's wages, but I can't imagine that Lampard is making 50% more per week than Drogba.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I did say EQUAL quality, Joe :) Drogba's one of the top 3 players at his position in the EPL; you can't say the same for Fat Frank.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

This is football, they appeal EVERYthing. Has nothing to do with Britain. Most of the feedback I've seen from your countrymen has said the same thing....will probably boost English salaries, since, big surprise here....English players are valued higher in England. If you put a minimum on the number a club have to have, you change the demand.

I fail to see where the snide US comments are necessary on this one.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Lol Andy, I need to stop "tee-ing" it up like that. :lol:

On Sky Sports last night they said 18 of the 20 Prem clubs had more than 8 currently, while 2 (for the life of me I can't remember which 2) were right at 8. So a salary raise for English players is not necessarily what's going to happen.

I understand the goal behind the rule, but playing devil's advocate you can see a club keeping a kid at the tail end of the roster instead of loaning him out to a lower division, thus actually hurting his development.

15. Martin-in-Nashville

Nothing snide about it, its TRUE!!!

and nothing wrong with an "Appeal" doesnt actually mean a LAWSUIT, BIG Difference

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

True? So by comparison footballers aren't overpaid. :wink: Ok.

17. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Maybe my wording was wrong, but either way some higher authority who has greater control will probably strike this homegrown rule down.

18. Martin-in-Nashville

Of course there overpaid, so are they in Baseball, Football and Basketball.

19. Martin-in-Nashville

I hope it's not infact I would like to see it enforced further, even going back to when only TWO Foreign players were allowed to play at one time,This is a British league and should have more British then forigners allowed.

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

One thing is certainly going further back (and I recognize the wind-up by you here), your ideas of what is going on in the football world. The Prem stopped being a "British" (which it never was to begin with) league a long time ago. If you think the FA Cup is more important to the best teams in the Prem than winning the Champions League and being marketable world-wide, you are truly out of touch. I suggest you find a pub-team close to your former one-school village in the rolling hills of northern Engerland if you want something more authentic.