EPL and Football league teams map

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by rumstove, Jan 26, 2006.

1. rumstove

rumstove New Member

As a project to learn how google maps work I put together a map locating all the Premiership, Championship, League 1, and League 2 teams. Each marker is also clickable with info bits. Anyways, if you're ever bored feel free to check out http://www.majafa.com/sport/map anytime. Oh, and let me know of any major errors I may have made if you spot any. Thanks.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's pretty 'neat'....Had a simple test of it... retraced all my 'walkabouts' from when I was staying in Aldwych and working at Bell Yard.. {Strand, Fleet st end.}

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

Fantastic! I've actually been looking for something like this!

4. pettyfog

rumstove, I took the liberty of posting that link on matchnight forums... drew
    a big thumbs up.

Maybe it should have a link on the FUSA front page.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well done Rumstove! This is a really nice map! I put a link to it at the top of the FUSA homepage. Nice work!

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Rumstove,
    Great job with that. That really is cool. What made you put something like that together?? Also, who is 'waytoocrowded.com'?

Lastly, think you could put a link on the map page to FulhamUSA?

That map must of taken you ages!! Once again, great job.

7. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: EPL and Football league teams map

Thanks everyone for the great comments and thanks for the links on the FUSA homepage (ChicagoTom) and matchnight forum (pettyfog).

I forgot to mention waytoocrowded in my intial post...oops. waytoocrowded.com is my brother's 'project/mess around' site. He's my go-to guy for anything dealing with computers and programming etc. I told him I wanted to build a map marking all the Premier, Championship, L1 and L2 clubs because I was tired of hearing all these club names and not knowing where they were in relation to each other. He got me interested in trying google maps. He did alot of the intial set-up work with the database and tweaked stuff here and there throughout the project. I researched and inputted all the info and then he helped to work out the kinks and bugs near the end. I'm glad everyone likes it.

And sure I'll put up a FUSA link. Can I borrow a banner logo?

8. americanmike

Re: RE: EPL and Football league teams map

Anything on this site, is yours to use!!

9. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

RE: Re: RE: EPL and Football league teams map

Can we use this same technology to do a "Where are we all located map"?????? Maybe with some info about each person such as a picture etc?

10. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: EPL and Football league teams map

Anything is mapable (is that a word?) with Google maps. The main concern would be the zoom feature of Google. While the markers may look correct when zoomed out, once you start zooming-in, the map marker has the potential to go way off into the middle of nowhere unless pinpointed to precise long./lat. locations. Google maps zoom in closer in big cities (in satellite and hybrid modes), which could present a problem for some FUSAers, as I'm not sure how many would want their house pinpointed on a map. One solution for this could be to map out each users favorite game-day pub or a favorite city landmark or something.

11. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

This is great-- I have made the map my wallpaper. Another thing I like about it -- the Fulham "thumbtack" is in front of the Chelsea one, mostly hiding it.

13. americanmike

Thank you Dave! Now I know I'm not the only one who enjoyed that!!!

14. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

... So, what would it take to start a map for our members then? Any help from me needed?

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Anyone that is willing to make a map or help make a map of FulhamUSA members would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot about making maps and such.

There was someone who was planning on making a map, but it has not happened as was expected. Thus, if someone would like to step forward and get one done, no one would object.

If anyone has knowledge or expertise in something like this and wants to help, post here and perhaps a group of people might be able to work on this together.

In my opinion, it would be a great addition to the site.

16. pettyfog

Hope that wasnt me... I did one with two locations, but I forgot where it is.. In fact, forgot I made it till this came up.

Geezer syndrome..

17. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

the Google map that Rumstove did for the teams was excellent. Hopefully with a bit of tweaking and some time entering data, we can get one for our members??

18. americanmike

You got that right!

19. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

i've started experimenting with making a map using Google too. I'll post a demo soon, assuming no-one bugs me here at work!!!

20. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

Seems that the stuff rumstove already has could probably be altered to provide our map and mean that no-one has to reinvent the wheel for the coding that is required. The Microsoft local.live.com map is a lot easier to code, but doesn't appear to provide the nice pop-up feature that could include a picture of the person