Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Landon is fitting in well. My only fear for him in staying longer is that Arteta will be fully fit again around the end of the 10 week loan deal (he's been coming on as a sub the last 2 games), so there's more question about whether Donovan would retain his starting spot. I wouldn't want him to extend and sit the bench.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The only one who can answer that question is Moysie. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Bruce, LD and Moyes have a confab on that. Maybe Bradley as well.
    Meantime here's a toffeeweb thread on LD's interview where Tim Cahill gives him the biz on his 'first touchdown'. I'll just link to the thread, you can watch the video from the link inside.

erm.. BTW, have you noticed LAGal's just got Clint Mathis in? For the THIRD time?

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

4. pettyfog

Sorry.. that forum software is frikkin weird. I've been there many times and linked it before but I just registered on it yesterday.

Maybe with all the new members due to LD, they decided to limit hits.

I was logged in when I copied the link.

Whatever.. they want him to stay. Some Brit bumpkins, {actually US idiots, too} though, think MLS wouldn't let him go for less than 12M bucks.
    "LD stupidly signed a new contract"
    They dont understand the unique McBride style contract.

NOTW got it right.. Everton could get hjim for 6 million or less, even

Added: Maybe I better explain the way I did on that site. When McB finished his loan to Everton, MLS was offered about 3M. Refused. After McB signed a new contract Pompey actually got him for much less, then Fulham made offer of {?} and that's where McB went.
    I'm betting that the supposed high price in the new LD contract is for purposes of LD actually steering where he goes if there's an offer. The floor price {probably verbal agreement} being much less than stipulated in the contract.
    And, not to argue with Don {here} but it's not just hand-eye, it's lateral movement training. Good middle infielders and catchers make good Goal Keepers.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think less. Americans [like Africans] are still undervalued in the market -- 700k for Beasley?!?!?! -- and Donovan's negative American press devalues his marketability.

I originally figured that Arteta's return would result in his benching, but I'm backing off that now. Donovan has played better than I thought he would have. In the Wigan match, I thought he was brilliant.

He fits very well into Everton's style, and his versatility is right up Moyes's alley. I hope the MLS allows him to stay with Everton until the WC, but that's the USMNT fan boy talking. Either way, it's good to watch him work -- and maybe to shut up those Brits who think we only develop good GKs and that's because our sports are hand oriented while there sports -- like cricket, golf, tennis, rowing, field hockey -- don't make much use of hands.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Have already set the DVR for the 4:30 pst Mersyside Derby manana. If Donovan ever wanted to ingratiate himself to the Everton fans than good performance at Anfield is the time. However, will he get the chance? Arteta is getting closer to full fitness, which could mean Landon only subbing. Which is unfortunate since he's already proven to possess the quality to excel in the Premiership.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Let's not get carried away. "Excel" may be strong of a description just yet. But by all means, please let the Toffees make a sticky situation for Rafa and the Reds even more of a mess!

8. SoCalJoe

Christian, Didn't say he's excelling yet, but has the "ability" to do so. He can play at this level, (obvious from his performances so far after being 2 months off) and not just in a half-ass kind of way. Now, a bunch of other factors will contribute to his actual "excelling" or not.

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I would be tempted to describe it as excelling...

He has come in cold and adjusted quickly - almost seamlessly. I am not saying he is a superstar, but the speed at which he has adjusted to the PL is impressive. Look at how long it took other players...

But perhaps it is a similar (physical and somewhat direct) playing style with MLS and the PL and that is why it has worked.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with Jensers [2/5/10 1351 CST]. I think he has earned his starting place, and has acquitted himself well. He's scored one goal and made two by my count. That's excellent -- hence excel.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Moyes apparently has no complaints -- Donovan got the start today at R Mid. As of this writing, it's 0-0 at 53 minutes -- Kyrgiakos (sp?) got a red card :3d crying:

12. pettyfog

apparently Donovan went all 90+.. no mention in the FT report but, hey.

13. SoCalJoe

Was wide awake at quarter til 5, so went ahead and watched it. The match belonged in the octagon not the pitch. To say it was chippy is a huge understatement. LD made 2 decent runs (drawing a foul in a dangerous spot, and and good move in the box when he flicked one to the back post that was kicked out for a corner), but like the rest of the team had no ideas in the final third (much of the credit belonging to the Scousers defense). Worse for American interests, Timmy clearly at fault for the lone goal.

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Everton looked bad even though they were up a man for most of the match.

Everton looked really bad when Mikel Arteta came on for the injured Fellaini, who should have received a red car earlier.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the "color" announcer trashed LD and Timmy pretty bad. Evidently, timmy should have saved a shot that was taken less than two feet from him.

Everton would have won the match had Fellaini stayed on. They were against 10 players and needed to make Liverpool chase. Instead there were19 players standing around watching Arteta trot back and forth. Except for LD turning Carragher inside out, the 2nd half was everything Liverpool could have hoped for. I like Arteta a lot, but his slowing down Everton cost them the match.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting Howard to save the ball once Kuyt put his head on it, but he could have made an effort to get the ball or deflect it out when it was in the air before Kuyt touched it rather than stand there and watch Neville stand next to him.

I fault both Neville and Howard on that one.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

SkySports rated Donovan as Everton's best player in the game.

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Saturday's game was absolutely awful. Drama? Sure.

If you like MMA.

Can we just remove the 4th Champions League spot? City, Villa, and Spurs can't win when they supposed to, and Liverpool don't deserve it by a country mile, but will probably get it anyway.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

on the other hand, the Villa-Spurs game on Saturday was probably the best 0-0 match I've seen this season.

20. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Didnt do either of the teams any favors, but I suppose 1 point is better than nothing. Crouch spends so much time knocking down and laying off balls that he misfires most of the time when having a go himself. Friedel was his normal self - he had everything covered... Would have taken something very special to beat him
    "boooring Boooring Villa" made me chuckle.

Anyway - on to Donovan... He was the highest rated player and considered the best Everton player on the day, but in the review show the only highlight of him was the foul he picked up on the edge of the penalty area. I dont have ESPN2 so I didnt see the match - can someone give me a description of why he stood out?