Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Donovan Loaned To Bayern Munchen

This recent movement of Players from MSL to Europe is interesting, on many levels.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

RE: Donovan Loaned To Bayern Munchen

Hope he does well.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

evidently, in a match against Bayern's reserves, Donovan scored both of the 1st team's goals.

Hate having your conceptions jarred, eh Christian?

5. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Its not QPR, but its a start. Someone should have told him about the slippers.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

A touch of the pettyfog, "eh"??

Hardly, Don. Think of it from more than one perspective.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Quote "I recognize Leverkusen wasn't the problem, I was". Who knows what will happen, but it seems his head is in the right place. It's strange that for whatever reason US fans feel like he owes them this. The opportunity of a stint at a European giant was impossible to imagine 2 years ago, but it's here and if he takes it and runs with it his legacy won't fall in the category of "what if", but rather as a trailblazer.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Agreed, and I've been as sour on Donovan in the last few years as anyone -- I hope he makes this work.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I flashed on that quote as well. None of us have dissed Donovan because of his play. We don't like his poncie-boy demeanor, and we don't like his lack of ambition, and I can't abide his smugness, but certainly we can all admit that he has the most complete skill set of any American outfield player currently playing -- and maybe forever. Those blazing runs into space of his will work anywhere in the world.

I hope he does well -- although I'm not a fan of FC Bayern -- and I hope his game continues to grow in 2009 the way it did in 2008. And I don't care what all the haters say, a significant catalyst in Landon's growth in skill and turnaround in attitude has to be sharing the locker room and the pitch with David Beckham.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I know they are saying the loan deal ends in March so he can return in time for the start of the MLS season, but I'm sure it's so he would only be there a short time to lessen the chances of him wimpin out.

11. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Yep ... the second I read that quote I knew that Donovan had finally matured.
    Like Don, I've always loathed Donovan's unwillingness to to step up or have any real ambition, but I think that playing with a pro like Beckham for a season and a half has given him the stability and maturity (and even the desire) to go abroad.
    I think it was some newly found professionalism mixed with the idea that "If I can score twenty + goals with Beckham servicing me, then I wonder how well I could do with a team full of talent".

I really hope that he does well and keeps his humility. It can only mean good things for the USMNT and American soccer.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

As long as you do not consider MSL part of American Soccer, right?

13. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Well, if the Galaxy can get a sizeable amout of money for Donovan then it'll have the potential to be good for the team since Donovan's paycheck was one of the things keeping them from bringing any new defensive players of quality in.

Getting experience abroad in a league with a higher talent water line will help the USMNT & the better the USMNT does internationally the more credibility it gives the US on foreign shores and the more interest generated at home.

It's all in how you want to look at it ... if you want to think it's bad for US soccer since he won't be at Galaxy then that's what you'll think, but if you want to be glass half full about it and see the potential benefits for all involved then you will.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Did I miss the part that said he was not going back to Galaxy? The gist I got from this when Beckham started looking overseas, and now Landon, is that they have a LONG offseason and were looking for competition to stay fit. The bit about Landon having an out in March sounds like further comfirmation that this is nothing more than a loan to Bayern (with the potential to be extended if he decides to stay).

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'm sure Donovan and Beckham, and many future MSL players, will only be gone for a few months. They'll be back and more committed than ever.

I'm sure...........really, I'm sure.

Promise.

Cross my heart.

I mean, what's to worry about.......right??

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If this site had 'Rep' voting, I'd blow a week's worth on you for that quip!

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That's a 4.5 million pound transfer fee for Podolski (from the article). Am I missing something? Why wouldn't EPL sides be snatching him up at that price?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ag: perhaps EPL sides don't want a guy who moans to the press constantly about his lack of playing time. Bayern have an unhappy clubhouse this season, and he's the major reason why.

Mo, there's a team in the Welsh league called "Airbus" and one in MLS called "Red Bull." What's so weird about a club in Dubai being named after the late all-star shortstop for the St. Louis Browns?

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Moaning or no, that's a tremendous bargain.