Diop issue: Hold or Sell?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jan 21, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So other clubs are coming after him, in a gamble to rehab him.

I say go for it. CC should hold out for as much as he can get, based on his potential, but anyone thinks that Diop is going to be a long-term performer is out of his mind.

I consider Diop, like many other players from the region, to be a shooting star and I dont mean in the sense of a star on the pitch... Footy is full of African players like him, moody and prone to take any competition for playing time personally.

That isnt a staement on his race in any way shape or form. That is a statement of fact based on his early achievements and his considering that once he makes it into the press, he is settled.

Nope, let him go.... wish him well, and keep an eye on him.

Those of us who criticize his wellness and workrate should NOT forget him and point out his progress ... or lack of it, once he's gotten into the starting lineup.. to all the boo-birds who are now dissing CC.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Would it be wrong to say I think Yanks see talent differently, if not better, than our English brethren? Well, I haven't said it..............yet.

3. pettyfog

What... you want me to bite the bullet, and take the flack for you?

Okay! I saw Valderrama and Mamadou Diallo ... guess which flamed out and which performed his best available until he gracefully retired!

And we hear plenty about the unsupportable egos and expectations of players in the other sports.

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych comes to mind

4. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Diop issue: Hold or Sell?

"Today, Mark Fidrych lives on a farm in Northboro, and is also a licensed and working commercial trucker. His family currently owns and runs a diner in Northborough called Chet's Diner."

I doubt Diop would live out the same fate. Sell and bring in someone that wants to work his butt off for some first team action.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Diop issue: Hold or Sell?

Exactly. Pettfog shields up, Cap'n.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Wigan have had a £5 million bit accepted for Diop accepted according to BBC cefax.

7. Jacob

Jacob New Member

£5 million in the bank. The window is getting really close to being shut though. I hope CC has some good stuff up his sleeve.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sky says we're getting Smertin

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Davies and Smertin for Diop. I'll give them a run out. Diop has been very limited in his presence this season. Would have gotten rid of John before Diop, but that's just quibbling. Hopefully, we can get a John deal done also in the next 8 days.

10. pettyfog

Well, PCB.. like the old saying goes, you can lead a horse {cj} to water, but you cant make him drink.
    Or as Dorothy Parker paraphrased....

11. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I would have gotten rid of Diop before John. At least John is fit enough to walk onto the pitch..... Is anyone even putting out an offer for John at the moment. The Watford deal fell through right?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I KNOW you and I are the only ones who know that couplet. :lol:

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

What's a couplet? A couple of old muppets??

(dammit, my smiles are still broke)

14. pettyfog

Yeah... as D Parker said:

You can lead a horticulture but you cant make her think.

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Up to me?? Keep Diop.

Unless a huge sum of money comes to us that we really can't ignore, then I say we keep the big man. His first season with us he was a start but since then he has yet to find that form. We know he has talent and in all honesty, its his injuries that has kept him from getting back in to it.

We need his presence and hopefully his injuries are now behind him, although, I guess thats the risk. He was happy at Fulham last I heard so maybe he has simply fallen out of favor with Cookie.

What to do...what to do.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Up to me?? Keep Diop.

A very small part of me says keep him (but bigger than the part that says keep CJ). However, 3.5 million pounds or more, and it's good knowing you kid.

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Up to me?? Keep Diop.

Just wanted to amend part of my post and simply add that if he doesn't want to be at Fulham then ship him out ASAP.

18. oliversummers

oliversummers New Member

Diop wants to stay

Well, I just read that 'the Wardrobe' wants to stay with us and fight for his place. I say fair play to him. I also like the fact that now CC is going to keep the line-up as is and let the new signings fight for their place. It's nice to see that we'll actually have some depth in our squad now.

19. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Diop wants to stay

What must the conversations between Diop and Cookie be like right now??

Diop: I want to stay with Fulham.
    Cookie: Of course we want you to stay also. But you might not get to play. And when you do play, it may be in the reserves. And when you do play in the reserves, we may want to try you out at CB.
    Diop: I need to go the bathroom, excuse me. (Gets on phone and calls Jewell. To Jewell: How soon can you get me out of here!!)