Did Wigan play w/4 guys??

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 23, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure Jens had a good time reading the match stats, but in case you didn't see it...Spurs 9 Wigan 1. Did the H1N1 virus hit Wigan? Did they lose a bet and have to play "red light-green light" when the Spuds had the ball? Haven't seen the highlights, but 9?? They should change their name from the Latics to the Quitics.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

It's the way Wigan play. They ALWAYS push forward and try to play attacking football. That does leave them vulnerable to getting picked apart like this.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Regardless of Wigan's atrocious play, the footballing gods will not be happy with Tottenham's 9 goals.

Or so I hope.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm going to go into paroxisms of joy when we whup them cocky fekkers.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

It shouldve been 9-0 as Scharner used his hand during his goal.

What a masterclass from Tottenham. it was actually fun to watch.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

{crosspost from the BR prematch}

On BS some Crew Fan was crowing about Spurs pounding Wigan and someone replied: "They're on TV here, WHEN?"

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

What a sham! this is probably the first time anyone has ever used their hand to assist during a goal in football.

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

The handling was terrible, but who knows what these referees are doing - it is stupid.

I am not sure why HD feels they are cocky. I have never seen anyone this season on Spurs celebrate in a way that was derogatory toward the other team or disrespectful to the opposing supporters... They are scoring and turning to their teammates and it is obvious that they are enjoying their football together.

The big problem for Wigan is the fact that they did not have an answer for Lennon AND Defoe. One of them - fine, but not both of them when they were playing so well. On top of that Nico put in his best performance to date - granted - Wigan is not that strong, but this is still the premier league after all. Nobody scored 5 on Derby!

Lennon has been such quality for Spurs this year - it is shocking. Bring Modric back into the side and they are a quality attacking team with some real flair.

This is a quality side! Why anyone would want to see the same 4 nab the champions league spots AGAIN this year... I support any club that is knocking on the door.

And yes - I enjoyed it... In a girly squealing kind of way.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I watched the highlights of this one on the Prem Review Show Sunday evening. With every goal they showed, I just said "wow". Really thought Defoe might grab a 6th. He seemed to slice thru the Wigan back 4 like they were cones on the pitch. And they did a bang up job of keeping him onside. Amazing the difference this season in Wigan home and away. They're almost the opposite of FFC; tight at home and loose on the road.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

My fantasy team (featuring Defoe and Crouch) sure will, though.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I really didn't need that picture in my head this evening Jens!

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

If you picture a Homer Simpson-esque squeal, emanating from Jens as he rolls around on the floor - it's palpable. :D I caught some of this live with lil' nevzter and didn't know they hit 9 until I read it on this site. Wish I'd kept watching (it was 3-0 when I stopped).

Lennon certainly looked the part. Imagine all the people, calling for his England start, yoo hoo.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Reports are that the Wigan players have offered to reimburse their traveling fans for the cost of their tickets from the game.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jens, I have no problem with the players and how they celebrated. The "cocky feckers" I'm referring to are the supporters -- smug little front runners they are -- and I'm talking about the Norf Londoners, not those in Washington state.

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well, and no offense Jens, from my personal experience I've found Spurs fans in NA to be as mindless and fickle as any ManU, Chelsea, or Arse "fan".

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Watched the whole durned thing on DVR. Wigan's defense was, to state the obvious, completely unorganized, Defoe and Lennon flummoxed them in every way, especially on the L. All of their goals came down the L flank to some degree. It could have been 11 or more reasily except Kirklandhad a nice save or two, believe it or not.

If you let in 9 goals, your defense has let you down, but I was thinking why not Kirkland for the GK position for England. I guess I got my answer. And he has Queen Elizabeth's teeth.

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I have often wondered what club(s) I would support if I had been there in person as opposed to watching from afar. Being a big'ish club I am not surprised that many of the supporters would follow the same clueless nature of some of the big 4 supporters. I am seeing that with Man City now.

But I dont know that they stick it out. You have to be fairly thick skinned to follow Spurs... But that is why I like em - its drama all the time - I mean - just look at last season!

Fulham on the other hand - I only cared about Fulham b/c of the Americans, but I have been converted to some of the intangible aspects of the club. It really is a 'nice' club, and to top it off - Roy could make just about anyone care about Fulham.

One of these years I will find a teacher who wants to do an exchange and get the chance to do more than catch a couple of matches while on holiday.