Dickson Etuhu

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Jun 5, 2009.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Found this snippet this morning. In his own words...

"I love playing for club and country," he added. "This is a new season for me. I was injured for a long time. I'm still fresh, so I'm not even thinking about burn out. Fulham fans haven't seen the best of me yet."

I truly hope that to be the case. I must admit, when Wink bolted I was really worried about what might happen to our season. What little I had seen from Etuhu didn't particularly enthrall me. Now that I can look back from beginning to end, I must say I'm thoroughly pleased with Etuhu. I remember watching him a lot after the wink had left and I must say he took a lot of pressure off Murph. Etuhu constantly moves himself into positions for an easy release for Danny when he comes under pressure. I noticed Danny always has his head up looking to create going forward and the fact that Etuhu gives him an "Escape Clause" when nothing forward opens up to me is invaluable. Defensively, he does a great job of busting up the oppositions attack. I wonder if the rumors of us pursuing a Huddlestone, or O'hara mean Etuhu's time on the pitch will diminish, but I think he's earned his spot. What do you think?

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was among those that were not overly bemoaning Bullard's departure but that did not stem from the belief that Etuhu was the answer. In fact my first knee jerk reaction to Dickson's onfield play was something along the lines of, "Oh my I can't believe we let Andreason leave and put HIM in"! I must now admit that after an adjustment period Dickson performed well after Jimmy was removed from the midfield and Dickson was placed in the TEAM. I don't know if Dickson has earned his spot but he has certainly earned the right to compete for it no matter who is brought in.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

About the "international" part, I'm still steamed that Nigeria would call him up, put him in the game day squad for a friendly against Ireland, and then not even give him a run-out -- especially since they could have fielded two more subs. I mean, the match was played at Craven Cottage. Jerk-wads.

Good man, Etuhu. I'm glad I didn't pre-judge him. He said he was still working his way back and that he'd get better, and he did. We were so much better with Etuhu-Murphy than What'sisname-Murphy.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Kind of like What'sisname and Andorra, right?

5. BC

BC New Member

I'm excited to see what Etuhu can bring this season. He seemed to really come into his own and find his form at the end of last season. He's a great asset to the team. We'll certainly need some more depth at midfield this season but I'm sure Dickson will be getting a good bit of playing time. If his form picks up where it left off, he'll have a great season.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He's got Michael Brown's grit and steel, but with more talent, vision, and pace. I hope he continues go get better.

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Indeed, and I'd like to add that Etuhu also doesn't have Brown's temper, which is a plus.

Etuhu's not a flashy player but he's the kind of player successful teams absolutely need - someone willing to get gritty, act as a "plan B" option for passes, and help out when necessary. If he thinks the best is to come, then I'm looking very forward to it.